What's up with VW parking brake cables?

rattlenbang

TDI
2004 wagon
I have two VW TDIs, Mk4 and Mk5, and each have developed the same problem where one parking brake cable becomes so long the equalizer is on such an angle the other cable falls off. It's not that one pad set is more worn than the other. Nothing has broken, but does that mean I need to replace the longer one? Why would they stretch so completely different?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check the tube underneath the car the cable goes through to get inside the car to the ebrake handle. It’s likely that the end of that aluminum tube has collapsed or bent or both and needs replacing. They are fairly easy to replace idparts has them. Look first at the tubes before you buy, there may be something else causing this issue. Perhaps the wire fasteners have come loose or the cable itself on one side has broken in its sheath. Idparts has the cables and clips also.

Here’s the set or you can buy just the one you need. They are left and right side specific.

rattlenbang

TDI
2004 wagon
Thanks for this, I thought the cables just hung more or less exposed except where they come in at the console. I'll have a look.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Those tubes are only about 12-15” long, so the cable does hang exposed for most of its length. The exposure allows the sheath to deteriorate and allow salt and water in which rots/rusts the cable and can cause it to seize or break.

rattlenbang

TDI
2004 wagon
But this is the strange part about all this: the cables aren't broken. Neither is a caliper dragging on the side with the "longer" cable. And it's weird that both vehicles show the same problem. Stuck cable I get, broken cable I get, but one working cable protruding 1 1/2" longer than the other is mystifying to me. Oh well, guess I'll just have crawl under there and have a look, it's not like its a complicated system. I was just kind expecting someone to say they often stretch at unequal lengths and you just replace the stretched one!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I just replaced both of mine, neither of which appeared to have serious issues. What I did not realize was what a pain it was to get the lower part out of the aluminum tube which houses their path to the cabin. I tried to force the port side cable out only to discover that I had pulled the aluminum tube partially out with it. To put it back, I had to cut the carpet on the back hump away to get at it, then epoxy it back into place. I do think that the cables stretch differently over time. Here's to hoping the new ones last awhile.