What's up with Gasbuddy wrong prices?

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Any gasbuddy app users out there? I've just noticed around here lately that the same three or four members are constantly posting wrong prices, maybe 10% too high. Is it just here or has any body else noticed that? I get that sometimes a person pulls up to a pump and reports the wrong values of regular/mid/super/super premium, so they put the premium price in the Diesel spot. The stations I'm seeing though don't offer super. Plus the Diesel handle and price is on the left, so it's like you'd get it mixed up with something else?
I don't know, I just think it's a bit weird.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I've even had people post prices after substantial discounts (grocery discount programs or whatever) which obviously does no one any good.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
This ^^
Common tactic.

Another is to lower price below everyone else on gasbuddy even though the pump is higher. You drive to that specific station and when you're there you find price is the same. Since your there, most people just fill up anyway...
This. There's a guy out here, BobTheHumper that is always putting the price of diesel at this one station $0.50 lower than actual.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
We should start a petition to have the gas stations report their prices. That way you could go on the website and if there's discrepancies it would be a cause that the advertised lower price shall be taken as correct so that there is no fudging the numbers

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Well, FWIW the crazy mispricing seems to have stopped. According to Gasbuddy support, posting the correct price helps to identify people who post the wrong ones. I guess their system flags situations where a price is updated and then somebody else changes it back again within a given time. It's easier to notice with Diesel fuel because the prices don't change as often.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
And I thought it was just me! This seems to be common practice with the sudden rise in fuel prices. I've gotten in the habit at looking at the time stamp of the price posting. Some are not updated on a daily basis.