what's under the hood?

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
Hey Guys, I am looking at the TDI and have heard the engine described as 2 R5s. I have looked under the hood and don't see how to remove the engine cover. Also saw that the fuel filter has twin lines running from it. Of course, the dealers try to scare you into using service for eveything...

1)how do you remove the engine cover?
2)how complicated will a willing owner with basic skills find it?
3)I have both a B5.5 and a A4 TDI and can perform basic maintance. Will the Touareg be similiar?

Thanks for your help!

DesertV10

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 V10
Kind of difficult to answer this. Removing the top cover and the lower shield below the oil pan for service is not difficult, however, being able to diagnose the electronics (need a VAG COM) and repair them is difficult. Almost all the V10s in the USA are still under warranty and they are so complex with air suspension, etc. that I would probably not own one outside of warranty/extended warranty. Beyond oil changes and brake jobs it isn't really a do-it-yourself type of vehicle, IMHO.

Check out some of the threads at www.clubtouareg.com on problems and mods, I think you will get a better feel for what can be done and how involved it is.

DesertV10

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 V10
No, running fine. My previous 2004 V8 had a lot of the common problems that those had (now corrected).

TDIdenver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, Black(traded in); Jetta 06, Platinum; Jetta 11, Platinum
Get the extended warranty for sure. The computer systems in the Touareg's and the Phaetons are exceedingly complex.