What's the most reliable diesel brand/station in Greater Vancouver area?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I don't really have a prefered brand as long as the fuel supplier's website has clear mentioning of features that address some sort of lubricity improvement, cetane boost, moisture removal...etc. from their ULDS.

The following brands have at least some mentioning of improved fuel characteristics for newer diesel engines on their "Canadian" website:

Husky - yes (DieselMax)
Shell Canada - yes (V-Power)
Petro Canada - yes (no specific brand name)
Esso - no information found
Chevron - no information found

I do lots of runs to Point Roberts and Bellingham so I've been getting most of my fuels from WA state Shell. If I need to fill up in Canada, I mostly use Shell as well. However, US Shell website has no specific mentioning of improved fuel quality for modern diesel engine. This kind of tell me some of the diesels on the Canadian side of the border may actually be better diesel than equivalent products from WA. The Shell station I use in Tswwassen also has the sticker "up to 5% biodiesel", which I assume some percentage of bio juice even if under 5% will still provide benefit for the new CR engines.

So where do you lower mainland TDI driver get your fuel from?

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
fastalan said:
I don't really have a prefered brand as long as the fuel supplier's website has clear mentioning of features that address some sort of lubricity improvement, cetane boost, moisture removal...etc. from their ULDS.

The following brands have at least some mentioning of improved fuel characteristics for newer diesel engines on their "Canadian" website:

Husky - yes (DieselMax)
Shell Canada - yes (V-Power)
Petro Canada - yes (no specific brand name)
Esso - no information found
Chevron - no information found

I do lots of runs to Point Roberts and Bellingham so I've been getting most of my fuels from WA state Shell. If I need to fill up in Canada, I mostly use Shell as well. However, US Shell website has no specific mentioning of improved fuel quality for modern diesel engine. This kind of tell me some of the diesels on the Canadian side of the border may actually be better diesel than equivalent products from WA. The Shell station I use in Tswwassen also has the sticker "up to 5% biodiesel", which I assume some percentage of bio juice even if under 5% will still provide benefit for the new CR engines.

So where do you lower mainland TDI driver get your fuel from?
Mostly Mohawk/Husky I also used to fuel at a Shell Cardlock flying J in the valley since it was about 3 cents/L cheaper but became a PITA since they cancelled the turn on the pump with your Flying J card feature. You now have to drive to the office and deposit your drivers license, drive to the island to fuel up and drive back to pay and retreive your DL. You could also do that on foot if you chose to run several hundred yards in the process so I said to hell with it. If your'e concerned about fuel quality you should fuel up where big rigs fuel up since they have high volume turnover and large filters mounted on their pumps.

Last edited:

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
What icecap said, and I use Autogas, Husky or Shell.
I think Autogas uses Husky fuel, and they were the ones with biodiesel blends, which addresses lubrication.

Go where it is busy:
Bryne Road Autogas
Nordel Autogas
Shell at 2nd/main

Anyone find biodiesel anymore?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I've now decided not to buy WA state diesel for my 2010 TDI near the border unless I absolutely have to. It's not worth the 20 cents saving when I know there are better diesel in BC. Beside I don't want to give dealer an excuse if something happen to my fuel pump in the future. I will most likely stick to Canadian Shell but will definately give Husky diesel a closer look. The problem with Husky is that all my previous gas cars, I have not had any experience with any Husky products due to their gasoline's high ethanol content. In fact, I can't even remember ever buying anything from a Husky station!

N_J

Veteran Member
TDI
VW 2002 Golf 5 speed TDI Indigo Blue Pearl
When I got my TDI in '02 and I was in Ontario, I looked for the best fuel(ie cleanest and highest cetane on the spec sheets).
It was:
-Sunoco Gold
-Shell V
-Petro Can
-Esso

I used Sunoco Gold exclusively when I was there. My engine was in good shape and cleanliness for having used it (EGR, nozzles,etc..)
I think Husky Max was comparable to Sunoco Gold, but I may be mistaken.

Sunoco is the shiit, I wish they had stations out here.

Although we have shiit fuel compare to the other side of the pond.

Last edited:

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
In my personal experience (owning 2 TDI's over the past 9 1/2 years and driving nearly 275K km between them) I've found my best fuel economy to be from Husky/Mohawk diesel fuels, followed closely by Shell V-power diesel (but not worth the extra cost unless you collect Airmiles!). If I'm stuck, I'll also fill up at Chevron but I will avoid Petro-Can like the plague!! I don't really have any experience with Esso because there aren't any near anywhere that I travel that have diesel fuel (go figure!).

By the way Alan, hopefully you can make it out to the next monthly TDI GTG in June (keep checking in this section for details in the coming weeks).

Zedbra

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
I have been using Shell V-Power for most of the year and my car seems to really like it. I have also noticed almost no soot on the back of the car - so it must be burning clean.

One reason why our diesel is typically a little better than American diesleds is because our diesel has additives for a winter whereas many US states do not. Sometimes heavy equipment from Europe has difficulties working well here, because they are designed on the same additives as the winter blend - where Europe runs year-round and just consumes that into the price.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Ed's TDI said:
By the way Alan, hopefully you can make it out to the next monthly TDI GTG in June (keep checking in this section for details in the coming weeks).
Hi Ed, I have business trip in June but will for sure drop by if in town.

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well All i use as Frank,Ed,NJ said is Husky. I think they sell the best Diesel and also at the best prices.Esso is the other one that my car likes so if i run low i will use it and i have been some what happy with them.Shell and Petro Canada my car does not like at all. Only in emergencies will go there and put in $10 so i can get to my Gas Station. And i guess i will try the auto gas as NJ said. as i live not 5 min away.Last time i went the at 6 pm they where closed (weekday).

I guess what we all are saying that you should try every gas station and make up your own decision if you don't agree with ours

BlackSunshine

TDI
Tdi 1.9L ALH
One reason why our diesel is typically a little better than American diesleds is because our diesel has additives for a winter whereas many US states do not.
Hmmm... As I understand it, the 'additives' that are used during the winter months is basically kerosene to prevent the fuel from gelling at lower temps, also known as Diesel #1 or Winter fuel.

There are no gains to be made from running diesel #1, in fact your mileage will be lower due to the lower BTU rating of the fuel, and kerosene does not have any additional lubricity properties.

So I don't understand your statement "typically a little better than American diesleds"?

How is it better? Can you elaborate?