whats the largest vehicle anyone has powered with a 4cyl tdi

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
How about an FJ80 land cruiser, estimated realistic max gross weight is 6000 pounds with a 5000 towing capacity.

The stock engines bhp (manufacturer specs):

1991-1993 is 155 HP and 220 lb ft torque with torque peak around 2500 rpm engine is pushrod OHV 4.0L I6 red line is 4500 rpm

1993-1997 is 212 hp and 275 lb feet torque peek about 3200 rpm, engine is OHC 4.5L I6

I would bet money that my A3 with AHU VNT 2056 tune and R520 injectors would best either in torque, and match or come very close to matching the latter in HP on an engine dyno with more of it down low, and probably a broader spread of power and torque.

Incidentally my land cruiser is a 1991, so I have the less power full engine. The AHU in my A3 would push the pig around better than factory engine without a doubt.

But... how long would it live in such a heavy and very non aero dynamic vehicle running so far beyond the capacity that VW designed it for?

Is this a good idea?

Thoughts on using a built up VE pump 4cyl TDI to push a 6000 pound car with the aerodynamics of a barn door.

Last edited:

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
If you could mate some type of six-speed to it, then it would probably do fine. Does toyota have one in their newer trucks?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
My former TDI Syncro Westfalia with a highroof often weighed in at 2800kg plus it was hauling two ATVs on a snowmobile trailer - no problem making it go forward - making it stop was sometimes fun! :eek:

All comes down to gearing and your definition of a four cylinder - mine was about 180hp...

jas67

TDI
2012 TDI JSW on order.
How 'bout a 3.0L V6 TDI from the Tourag, or take a page from the tractor-pull guys' book, and put two 2.0L TDI's in it (one in front, one in back) ;)

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
I have a VW t4 Westfalia 2810kg. And the engine pull the van with no problem.

João

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Cummins 4BT never came in a US "light duty" vehicle so that's out, have to make it smog legal, which from my understanding since the implementation of new diesel vehicle smog rules is no longer as simple as showing the DMV that it now runs on diesel.

Options are Detroit diesel 6.2/6.5 which came in GM half ton trucks and the Suburban along with a host of "heavy duty" vehicles.

One of these engines aftermarket can be had BRAND NEW all components for around 6K, with a new and improved block and FIP.

Next would be a host of VW TDI engines, the most attractive would be AHU/1Z because you can claim that they are out of a 1996 or 1997 B4 and it will be smog exempt.

Followed by Mercedes OM603/606. I actually have a good running 603 in my garage, but its a 1987 3.0 603, I would need to claim its a 1991 3.5 603, even though there is of course no functional difference as far as emissions are concerned. I am worried they may check casting numbers.

For something that heavy, I'd much rather see a Cummins 4BT in there.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
does anyone know if there is a VW to NV3550 bell housing available?

NV 3550 is the 5 speed manual trans availible in jeep vehicles from 2000-2004, and its available brand new (without bell housing or tail shaft) for around 1k.

Its rated for 300 foot pounds of TQ under a 7500 pound vehicle.

It looks like there is an off the shelf adapter for Toyota transfer cases. There are off the shelf GM V8 bell housings available.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
The VM Motori engine in the '05 and '06 Jeep Liberty has 300ft-lb stock, and can be easily tuned to 350, and with a bigger turbo to 400ft-lbs and 200+ hp. That would work well in a Land Cruiser, it really moves the Liberty.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
That would be great but hard to find and expensive and for what it would cost to do the swap I could probably buy a liberty CRD.

I am leaning toward the OM603 because I have it already, but I would rather have a tuned up VW TDI motor, for its lighter weight and more compact dimensions.

And anything that can be claimed as 1997 and before like (1Z/AHU) or 603 would be smog exempt.

Reddok

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta TDI 01M, '02 Jeep Liberty Renegade ALH TDI swap
does anyone know if there is a VW to NV3550 bell housing available?.
Nope, not available. I had to make my own NSG370 to VW adapter. Incidentally, my 4000lb Jeep tows my 2000lb boat just fine with a stock ALH TDI motor.

sonic reducer

TDI
1997 passat tdi
For something that heavy, I'd much rather see a Cummins 4BT in there.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/index.php
4bt are huge, heavy, noisy, vibrate a ton, dont rev high, and not really all that cheap. seems like 1500 and up. by then your are closing in on what a TDI parts car costs. of course the 4bt would be way more reliable and powerful.
think of the engine bay room a tdi would have in an FJ80.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Personally I would do a 6BT over a 4BT but both are heavier than the power plant for an 80 needs to be, I would be real happy with 200 hp / 300 tq (crank) and a TDI can make that

Since I already have the OM603, I am looking at that as the best candidate.

4bt are huge, heavy, noisy, vibrate a ton, dont rev high, and not really all that cheap. seems like 1500 and up. by then your are closing in on what a TDI parts car costs. of course the 4bt would be way more reliable and powerful.
think of the engine bay room a tdi would have in an FJ80.

sonic reducer

TDI
1997 passat tdi
for an 80 series I'd probably go OM617 for lighter duty and 4BD1T for heavier duty. not like either are a better motor than a VW but the OM617 is definitely cheaper and more easily found and the isuzu is better at pulling a heavy load.

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
A 617 in an 80 would be truly gutless, and impossible to make smog legal because of the years they were imported, the Isuzu motor would be great but never came in "standard duty" vehicle.

I have a good running om603, if I go Mercedes it will be with that.

for an 80 series I'd probably go OM617 for lighter duty and 4BD1T for heavier duty. not like either are a better motor than a VW but the OM617 is definitely cheaper and more easily found and the isuzu is better at pulling a heavy load.