What's the easiest/most common place to tap boost?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Wrong car, Declan; see post #10. The OP bought the fancy all-metal version...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Any turbo approaching 30psi/~2bar (3bar asbolute) you will want to go up to 4bar MAP as the 3bar won't show spikes above 3bar absolute. I switched to 4bar when running 1752vrk turbo (2.0-2.1bar) and now 2260vklr is around 2.4.

Tap into the MAP hose, the hard plastic piping can crack and also has a lot of turbulence in the pipe that resonates to the gauge even with those little in-line "buzz" connectors. My autometer gauge tapped into the MAP hose and one in-line buzz connector is perfectly silent!

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
My EA288 MAP sensor reads 3200hpa on big loads and maximum boost (tuned yes) ---> = 46 psi. (with the atmospheric pressure included)

But in absolute pressure it means 2.2bar (only 31psi) probably within capacities of reading of the oem sensor

Then, YES EA288 MAP sensor CAN READ MORE THAN you think.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Not all EA288s come with the same sensor ;)
Mine had the same OE sensor that read up to 3.2 bar, this is not enough for a turbo capable of 2 bar (3 bar absolute) as you want to see any spikes or overboost conditions that are above the limits of that particular sensor. Cheap insurance for reliability and quick adjustment from your tuner.

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
Then how can I read 3200hpa of turbo boost on my vcds ? (My turbo gives 2200hpa of pressure and you add 1000 for atmosphere —-> my sensor is able to read more than 3bars so where is the problem ? My turbo is not exceeding 3.2 bars as I might be able to read it if it was the case. And it’s the original sensor.
I think you would upgrade in the case of having a turbo giving 3 bars (then you’d need a 4+bars sensor yes)

Edit : awww ok just understood what you mean. I did not know our sensors were limited to exactly 3.2 bars... well I’ll have a check. I know it’s easy to find 4 bars sensors on the market.

YanCT

TDI
1.6 TDI - 207hp - 420nm
After getting informations averywhere and tested my sensor with an air-compressor (ignition on-vcds on-engine off) I can confirm my stock sensor is sable to read up to 4bars.

Then when vids tells me max manifold pressure = 3.2bars I can admit my turbo is safe by giving a boost of 2.2 bars. It's a GTD1449vz.

For information I drove recently a all brand new golf 8 GTD 200hp stock, and the performance monitor show up to 3.5bars on heavy accelerations. (2.5bars boost)