Whats my IQ supposed to be at idle?

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
I just got a chip on my 2000 tdi golf from speentuning and when i checked it on vag com, it was 1.2-1.4 at idle. I had to lower the adaptaion value to the lowest possible setting to get 3.4 IQ at idle... Is this normal? How are some people getting 7 IQ?

dropFROG

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf 2001
Thats a loaded topic name!

It should say on the VAG what the rec. range is..

I ran around what you have with .205's and an old UP chip with adaptation maxed out.. Currently run in the 9's but that was with the 'hammer mod'

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
Dan just answered your quesiton in your first thread. Do a search on "hammer mod".
Yup i just saw it! Is it ok to max out the adaptaion value inorder to get only 3.4 IQ? Will it harm anything if i max it out? Or is it better to leave it at default setting and do a hammer mod instead? Which is the better way to do it?
Thanks

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
The real true way is to do a hammer mod. The Vag-Com setting makes some things in the pump act differently to compensate for your setting. The hammer mod mechanically adjusts your setting which is always better. There is no detriment to adjusting by vag-com, but generally it is used to fine-tune a hammer mod really. Or at least that's how it should be used. I don't know if this will work, but put your car into 'Basic Settings' (see how to test your tdi timing) and then check your IQ...If this is different than what you have under normal conditions, then I would say go by the value in basic settings, and then fine tune outside of basic settings.

deltafox

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 black
Since this is the performance forum, it's worth a note that the lower the IQ setting, the greater the max fuel injected will be. I realize that smoke is an issue for many, and IQ increase reduces fuel injected to take care of that. But if smoke is no problem, lowest IQ gives max performance. You can test this yourself by adapting the IQ from min to max and vice versa right in the middle of a third gear WOT run. It ain't much, but you will feel the change.

Pcar993

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 White
Since this is the performance forum, it's worth a note that the lower the IQ setting, the greater the max fuel injected will be. I realize that smoke is an issue for many, and IQ increase reduces fuel injected to take care of that. But if smoke is no problem, lowest IQ gives max performance. You can test this yourself by adapting the IQ from min to max and vice versa right in the middle of a third gear WOT run. It ain't much, but you will feel the change.
The lower IQ, the more power right? When my IQ was 1.2-1.4 it was smoking alot but it didnt pass 3900 rpm. So i guess there is a boarder line on the lowest allowed IQ before the engine trips out. Has anyone discovered the lowest IQ allowed before the engine trips out and wont allow you to go past 3900 rpm?

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Shawn, since your car is running fine now without going into warp field collapse, just leave the IQ where you have it now. Don't set it to the lowest IQ setting. Since your car is maxed out at 3.x, the only way you can get any different settings outside of what you have is doing the hammer mod. Don't stress on this IQ thing. As I posted in your other thread, if your car doesn't put out that thick black smoke and doesn't go into limp mode, just drive the car and enjoy it!

Delta's post was more of an fyi. Each car is different enough with different factory settings, chips, injectors, etc that there is no one IQ setting that fits all. Sometimes one has to play around with the settings to get everything to work. What works in one car may not work in another...