What would you do?

sands80

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6MT SEL
I bought my TDI used and to my surprise it had first three service oil / oil filter changes pre-paid. So today I brought my TDI in for its 20K service and while at home reviewing the invoice I saw that they replaced the oil this (6qt of ZVW-352-540-SB-DSP). Here is the oil the code is bringing up:

I think that this is for a gasser. I called the service manager, who talked to the mechanic. The manager come to the conclusion that they had miscoded the service invoice but re-assured me that they used the correct 507 VW approved oil.
So here is my problem - I'm not sure if its the right oil. The mechanic may have put in the oil for a gasser but is stating that he put in the correct oil- who would ever know? The service manager is going to stick with what the mechanic said.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
pretty sure that any 507 spec. oil (what you require) is going to be 5w30. What should you do about it, ideally change it out asap but it does matter what your plans are. "cold white north" sounds like Canada and I do not know if there will be any buy back offers for you guys/gals. change it at the next opportunity, not when the most opportune for you. your engine will not die tomorrow but i am not sure how well that oil will hold soot in suspension and thus how it will effect your dpf. better safe than sorry. how long is the factory warranty up north (assuming you are in canada)?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
What would I do you ask? If possible take the buy back.
Some folks actually happen to really like these cars. Sands80 bought used (like my '15 Golf) and will not receive as much on the buyback if bought after the Dieselgate anouncement. The money for the fix IMO is very fair with the added warranty, AND you don't have to go out and search for a comparable vehicle (there are none), AND extend your car payment yet again.

As for the oil, call the dealer and tell them the part number reflects the wrong stuff and they should change it back to the correct oil. I agree that they should all be 5w-30, and I'd want the correct stuff in there as you want the soot to be suspended as mentioned above. Not going to kill it short term, but I'd personally have it changed out at the earliest convenience.

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Some folks actually happen to really like these cars. Sands80 bought used (like my '15 Golf) and will not receive as much on the buyback if bought after the Dieselgate anouncement. The money for the fix IMO is very fair with the added warranty, AND you don't have to go out and search for a comparable vehicle (there are none), AND extend your car payment yet again.
Ahhh, fair enough a VW fanboy, they are still out there. No, there is not a comparable car that has imploding HPFP's that send barely visible metal fibres though-out the fuel system inherently destroying that system repair costing anywhere from 3 - $8,000, turbo fuel injectors that routinely fail, timing belts that require routine replacement, DPF filters and valve flaps that clog and seal as well as emission equipment programmed to not function as company advertised due to a defeat device intentionally engineered into the software. I am not a VW basher, been driving a tdi's since 03 but will be most likely getting rid of the 15 i have now and move on to something else. VW's are great cars, just be VERY AWARE of what they come prepackaged with and weather or not the car suites the type of driving that you may or may not do, and every now and then, just for fun, pop on the rose coloured glasses and it will all be fine.

Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would put the right oil in

if you were surprised at the prepaid, you are not out anything except some time

did they change the fuel filter and fill up the DEF?

did they measure the brake pad thickness?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahhh, fair enough a VW fanboy, they are still out there. No, there is not a comparable car that has imploding HPFP's that send barely visible metal fibres though-out the fuel system inherently destroying that system repair costing anywhere from 3 - $8,000, turbo fuel injectors that routinely fail, timing belts that require routine replacement, DPF filters and valve flaps that clog and seal as well as emission equipment programmed to not function as company advertised due to a defeat device intentionally engineered into the software. I am not a VW basher, been driving a tdi's since 03 but will be most likely getting rid of the 15 i have now and move on to something else. VW's are great cars, just be VERY AWARE of what they come prepackaged with and weather or not the car suites the type of driving that you may or may not do, and every now and then, just for fun, pop on the rose coloured glasses and it will all be fine.
I agree these cars fare much better for people who drive longer distances, and for those who have trusted mechanics that can keep them out of the more expensive dealer network. But, some of the issues these cars have had in the past have been addressed or at least changed in the EA288.

HPFP failures are not widespread as they appear to be on these forums. The pump in the newer cars is of the same design, but newer model similar to the CKRA in the Passats that have seen far less failures than before. I agree that's a hefty price tag to pay for a failure if it were to happen, but there are solutions to that issue with different pumps and/or filters or simply using additives to keep moisture out of the system.

Not sure about turbo fuel injectors?? Our injectors in the '15s are not the uber expensive piezo injectors found in the '09-'14s, they are the solenoid type that are cheaper and again time will tell on reliability.

Timing belts require 130k replacement intervals, not sure I'd call that "routine"

DPF units on the EA288 are different than the EA189, time will tell how they hold up. The valve flap in the exhaust is now serviceable for the '15s compared to the earlier models. Also, the intake manifold does not have those silly butterflies in the '15s. It uses a rotated valve star to create swirl in the combustion chamber rather than the manifold flaps.

Defeat device = software...not actual physical object. Yea, VW could have made these newer cars pass (or at least come far closer) but they just had to keep Ms. Johnson from having to top up their cheap DEF fluid but once every 10k miles.

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
.Timing belts require 130k replacement intervals, not sure I'd call that "routine"

Defeat device = software...not actual physical object. Yea, VW could have made these newer cars pass (or at least come far closer) but they just had to keep Ms. Johnson from having to top up their cheap DEF fluid but once every 10k miles.
When you consider that most (quite possibly all?) car makes/models have a timing chain that NEVER requires replacement, I consider that a factor and routine maintenance.

Yes, a software download is not technically a "physical object" for phase I of the "fix".

Phase II, different storey: new DPF filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter, second NOx sensor (the issue that vw hung themselves on first go round now has two!!!) as well as further (albeit not a physical object) software downloads. So, essentially they will rebuild/replace a good part of the emissions and engine exhaust system. Letter I received states the "modification" will take approx 9hrs, but also says they will provide a "loaner vehicle", hey, there good guys after all!

Not sure about you, I did not sign-up for this when I bought. Maybe if they throw in a new pair of rose coloured glasses.....

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The DPF is only replaced at phase 2 if the vehicle has a certain amount of miles (DSG vs 6MT) so that the warranty will be covering a newer unit. It's not a different unit at this time.
As for timing chains, yes they last a long time. But anybody with an FSI or TSFI engine will tell you to change the guides and tensioners at a certain interval as those critical parts of the timing chain system do wear and fail.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk