What would NASCAR think if VW built a NASCAR compliant TDI ???

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
I borrowed a book from a friend of mine some time ago - "Driving With The Devil" by Neal Thompson - basically the alleged true story of how NASCAR really got started. If you think we don't belong in the same crowd as NASCAR, I quote Junior Johnson straight from the inside flap of the book - FIRST sentence of the first paragraph:

"Moonshiners put more time, energy, thought, and love into their cars than any racer ever will."

Substitute "TDI Owners" for "Moonshiners" and I dare say you have a true statement.

This and watching "Herbie Fully Loaded" too many times has me wondering if VW would EVER have the guts to challenge NASCAR with their own NASCAR style car - diesel style.

After all, they do have the R10 and R15, which have been winning races. Why not build a NASCAR compliant body from a Passat ?

Ok, so NASCAR has a ton of rules - and I don't know too much about them - but what IF the car was compliant in every way - save the fuel type.

If I were VW, and I wanted to get some free publicity, I would do this and then petition to enter. If they refuse, it's perfect ad copy. And in the spirit of NASCAR and how it was founded, they would lose a ton of respect if they didn't allow it.

I'm thinking along the same lines that went into making the R10 and R15. Building something that gets better mileage.

So am I totally nuts or what ?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
You ARE totally nuts. NASCAR only allows 5.8L normally aspirated pushrod OHV 2v/cyl carbuerated gasoline V8 engines. And if you want to make any tiny change to it, it must be pre-approved by NASCAR first.

Manufacturers don't get into NASCAR for the technological aspect...

And when was the last time any real moonshiners ran in the sport?

NASCAR finally changed from LEADED GAS just a couple years ago. Talk about slow progress. Every other form of motorsport abandoned leaded gas 25-30 years prior!! The disgusting part about it was how the media was applauding NASCAR for the move as being green, nevermind their stubborness to change LONG after EVERYONE else had.

Sorry about the rant. I get fired up over the subject of motorsports. NASCAR is entertainment, pure and simple. Anything beyond that, you're kidding yourself.

I do give NASCAR drivers a lot of credit, though. Where many people ask how hard could it be to turn left all day long, they really have no idea how difficult it is to lug one of these compromised-by-design-and-rules machines around a track really is. They weigh a minimum of 3500 lbs, have terrible brakes, the entire suspension setup is a compromise to get the most grip and downforce, but that often means they get overly softly sprung to allow the body to drop down to create more downforce. These monsters move a LOT on the track. They are by no means easy to handle! They are all over the place. It takes some real talent and balls to be competitive in one of those lumps.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
brucetmoose said:
So am I totally nuts or what ?
Maybe not nuts, just unaware of the differences between diesel engine operation requirements and NASCAR rules.
Why not petition NASA to make moon buggies diesel powered....

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
It won't happen anytime soon. Why cause Nascar finally approved people to run a special V6 engine. Yes all under Nascar specs. I would love to see more diesels power engines in any motorsport. Too many people involved with and in Nascar. I am sorry Nascar fans i can't stand racing always going in a circle.

66Stang

RabbitGTI said:
NASCAR is not motorsport. It has much more in common with Pro Wrestling. No chance.
+1

I think VW would loose public image if they chose to compete in NASCAR.

Chris

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
Lug_Nut said:
Maybe not nuts, just unaware of the differences between diesel engine operation requirements and NASCAR rules.
Why not petition NASA to make moon buggies diesel powered....

this idea makes sense. wel as far as petitioning nasa for a diesel class. could become popular as more mfg'ers come out with cars. tdi, bmw, suby all different takes on the way the engine is built, front and rear drive. be a good time now would be a good time for tdi to dominate.