What type of tires are you guys running?

blackbeasst

TDI
2009 purchased 11/13 with 29k on the clock
long story short about a month ago i had to get rid of my stock (so i think) contipro contacts. these tires were yielding me roughly 545-575/tank on a regular basis. i ended up putting the falken 912's on there with very minimal research.

little did i know the conti's were LRR tires and the falkens were not. now im lucky to break 525 on a tank.

im debating going back to a lrr tire but was curious to see what you guys are running and how any changes from past tires have affected your mpg.

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
I've just put on Continental Pure Contact LRR's. I'm halfway thru my first fill up with them so I don't have good info for you yet. I had always used Michelin Energies but decided to try these for cost and good reports from other drivers.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Continental PureContacts are excellent in every way. My Jetta has 40,000 miles on a set and they do everything well and handle fantastic. Good LRR too. They look like they will easily make 65,000 miles.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Pirelli P7s 205/60/16 LRR and top rating by Tire rack. Net cost after $60 rebate $375 OTD. I've only had them about 1mo, but they seem like a good value so far and they are smooth and quiet.

blackbeasst

TDI
dern. sucks i missed out on the MIR from conti.

kickin myself for not doing more research before buying on a whim.

what type of miles per tank are yall getting with the contis and pirelli? any difference from other tires you've run prior?

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
52 MPG is about my average with the PureContacts, provided I keep the speed reasonable. This is an ALH engine. About 800 miles between fillings.

I had been running Michelin LRR tires prior, so not much real difference.

Bill W

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I'm running the Pirelli P7s. Driven about 5,000 miles on them and I love them. 70k mile tread warranty too!

Since my commute changed in February, I'm usually 650-700 miles between fillups.

blackbeasst

TDI
i can't decide if i should bite the bullet and buy a new set while my current set is still good enough to sell for a decent amount.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
The stock Conti's on my car are nearly done after only 20,000 miles and I'm happy to be replacing these noisy, poor-traction hockey pucks. I'll be getting another set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's. I just put a set of these on my Audi wagon, and the car handles like it's on rails and stops on a dime. They are also the quietest tires I've ever owned. The only complaint on the AS3's I've read is that they are basically a summer performance tire - so the "all-season" rating is a stretch. I have a set of winter tires, so the AS3's poor performance in ice & snow isn't an issue for me.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I'm running the Pirelli P7s. Driven about 5,000 miles on them and I love them. 70k mile tread warranty too!

Since my commute changed in February, I'm usually 650-700 miles between fillups.[/QUOTEI got them too. How did they work in your snow?

1dieselsteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
Ok dumb question... What kills your milage is it the width of the tire, the total height, name brand, or the weight per rim and tire. Does anyone know the stock tire size for 2010 jetta tdi. Mine came with 225/45/17.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Ok dumb question... What kills your milage is it the width of the tire, the total height, name brand, or the weight per rim and tire. Does anyone know the stock tire size for 2010 jetta tdi. Mine came with 225/45/17.
that is the stock size 225/45/17

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
When I purchased my 03 Wagon, it had Michelin Primacy MXV4, same as the ones I have on my 98 Passat. Have had very good luck with this tire. On my GTI I ran Mastercraft Touring LSR's an they seemed to perform and wear right. Both my 87 Jetta GLX and 98 Passat came with Continentals and really wasn't fond of them. Michelin Primacy MXV4 has been my tire of choice, you usually end up pay a little more but don't seem to be replacing them as much and they have yet to let me down.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Ok what's going to give me better fuel efficiency... Thinking on going over to 18 or 19 inch but wanting to stay at the same height.
When you get a taller rim the overall height will stay the same the sidewall will get shorter (less flex better handling) but, usually the tire gets wider. Wider means more contact on the road hence more rolling resistance, better grip. On the other hand shorter to maintain the same height means a taller sidewall (more flex, squirmier handling), this will flex more but give you a more comfortable ride. Fuel economy generally goes down with a taller rim and tire price goes way up. If I were you I'd stick with what you already have. Just get a good tire for it.
This may help you http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/tire-wheel-gearing-calculator.htm

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Hi all,

I thought I would chime in with my observations which will be limited due to my low miles with my Jetta.

I had the stock Contis in size 225-45-17 on the stock wheels. The LRR nature of the tire really was evident once I swapped out the wheels and tires. It was easy for me to get 40+mpg on my normal driving cycle. Now after the swap, I can still get it, but I have to be very dilerberate with my driving.

I swapped to 18" wheels with 40mm offset which puts the wheel/tires out very close to linning up with the top of the fender. I chose 235-40-18 Conti DWS tires. They are a bit larger both in height and width, so there are some trade offs there as well.

The taller tire is 1.72% different which I should figure into my calculations for mpg. That helps, but the new tires are not LRR and given the wider foot print and stance, there was an increase in rolling resistance and wind resistance. It will no doubt win out, so I know I have effectivly reduced my mpg's on purpose.

Rob