What tune for Sportwagen DSG?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Just picked up my first DSG/automatic TDI in the form of a 2010 Sportwagen. High-ish miles on it at just under 150,000.

I have been to the moon and back with ALH and power modifications, but I have no idea what I should do to this new common-rail. It isn't too bad power wise in stock form, but, the there seems to be a power-delay when first accelerating & the DSG doesn't like that. I loaded it up with stuff over the weekend (picked up one of those 44" tool chests from HF on sale, really nice box!) and with A/C on I could tell it was struggling to make enough power to hold gears on moderate inclines.

I'm worried about changing anything on this car, honestly, but if I could at least take that lag away it would be worth it. I'm especially worried about the DSG transmission - I don't want to need to replace clutch packs in a month because I went with too big a tune. What can I do to this thing?

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I know that there are options, but I want to hear more feedback and recommendations. Who has a DSG Sportwagen that is chipped? How many miles have they had it chipped, whats the fuel economy, was the boost in performance worth the money spent?

And what is a DSG tune anyway?

Last edited:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Andrew did mine at 16K (2013 JSW, DSG) and I just passed 38K this week. I have the 1.5 and DSG tune and love it. My only problem with mine is traction in 1st and 2nd gear with the stock 16 inch tires and wheels... The DSG tune is alone worth it minus the engine 1.5 tune. Andrew can elaborate but mine shifts much smoother and at lower RPM's so it stays in the meat of the power band when accelerating briskly... Also it now shows what gear I am in all the time now which is nice...

The power increase (mainly torque) is really good. I ran a newer Dodge Ram with a Hemi up in the weeds the other day when he tried to accelerate around me as his lane was ending and cut me off... You don't expect that out of a VW wagen :)

Also fuel economy if anything got better. Bonus :)

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
Hi I have a Sportwagen DSG with 235KM on it. I have had the Stage 2 with DSG flash since 140KM. Everything is holding up good, only had issues with my timing belt letting go a little after getting tune:(, but otherwise original turbo ......