What tool do I need to compress the rear brake caliper?

spooality

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 6MT
I'll be replacing the rotors and pads on my 2012 Sportwagen soon, just getting all of the parts orders. I'm think I'm going with Power Stop's Euro-Stop kit, unless somebody tells me that there's a much better option out there for the same price. I know that I just need a normal brake caliper tool to compress the front piston, but for the rear calipers I need a tool that will rotate it too, right? What exactly am I looking for? Also, this is my first time replacing the brakes on ANY car, so any tips to help it go smooth. Thanks!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, I'd check the price from the dealer for OEM parts, you may find them not that expensive, especially the pads. Otherwise, I like Textar pads and rotors on those.

The rears require a wind in tool, most of the kits have several adapters, and one of them will work. It is actually a pretty common one. These are normal RH threads on both rear calipers (some cars have a left hand thread on one side, which require a second left hand winder tool, but these don't).

I would also flush the brake fluid (these use DOT 4 LV (low viscosity) ). A scan tool will allow you to run the ABS to help purge the old fluid from the module, too.

You also will need an XZN bit for the rear caliper carriages, and those bolts can be very tight!

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Many parts stores loan the brake tool. I think they require a deposit so you will return it.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I concur with both comments above.

In a pinch -- and I don't recommend it -- I've used a set of water pump pliers held firmly against the notches in the caliper and just pressed in while rotating inwards clockwise.

Always make sure you have the lid of the fluid reservoir vented/open when you depress the caliper pistons.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
you can buy a multi sided tool that goes on a ratchet, its a bit tricky to use, but it works

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I had the cube, it worked on a car or two. When it did not work, since I could not get enough pressure using my hand to push and turn the piston back in. I bought the Harbor Freight tool set, had the piston pushed and turned back in, in 5 minutes.

ttcheung

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Probably late to the conversation, but I just did my brakes a few weeks back. Prior to the job, I PB Blaster'd all the bolts and rotor set screws so that I wouldn't have any stuck hardware during the replacement.

The fronts were accomplished by cranking the steering wheel full lock for each respective side; this allowed easier access to the tight hardware. For the rears, I purchased a set of triple square sockets and used a medium length breaker bar. I also jacked the rear up higher to allow more access. I borrowed the caliper tool from Autozone to retract the rear calipers.

After the replacement I ratcheted the handbrake until it was tight again. I also used ATE Low Viscosity brake fluid for the fluid flush. The entire brake replacement job was very straightforward; just make sure to fully engage the sockets when loosening hardware.

Swinging Steel

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Sportwagen 6M, '15 Passat 6M
I bought the metalnerd tool from idparts years ago for my alh. Used it on the sportwagen a couple of times too. Works great. Worth every penny if you plan on doing your brakes more than once.
I find that cracking open the fluid reservoir cap before compressing the piston makes it much easier to compress, as long as you make sure not to overflow

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
A c clamp and water pump pliers work in a pinch, usually cause some cursing and thinking I should go buy the tool, then forget, then do it over again a few years later.....