What to move out of the way before replacing monts on a AHU?

ytk

TDI
MK3
What to move out of the way before replacing mounts on a AHU?

Hi, I am going to attempt to replace all three engine mounts on a AHU. Read some DIYs and have a manual.
Are there any other parts which need to move out of the way in order to prevent damage to anything? Fuel lines, clutch line, coolant hoses etc...?
Thanks

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Which car?

The transmission mount is a complete pain. Very difficult to get access. Some long extensions can help.

The other two are still annoying but relatively straight forward. You will need something to support / lift the engine naturally. I've used an engine bar that goes across the bay with success previously. A floor jack can work too but I feel the bar is safer (less chance of the engine slipping).

With all of them you can try to raise the engine enough to get the mount out but I think it's easier to unbolt the mount bracket from the engine/transmission once you lift the engine enough to take the weight off the mounts.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

00013cave

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta TDI, 1997 GLX TDI
front and passenger side are easy more or less, driver side transmission one is more of a pain especially if you have ABS. If so,taking the top bolt can be tight. If the side bracket has to come out( I don't remember) then you will have to access it by removing the l/f wheel.Also my suggestion is as you replace one by one, don't tighten down any of the top bolts until all the new mounts are in, just snug them down finger tight. Then shake the engine so it settles where it wants to. Then tighten those bolts.

ytk

TDI
MK3
Thanks! so just to be clear , nothing else has to be moved to avoid damage to all the diffirent hoses and wires or any thing else?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The engine isn't really going to be moving much through the process - about the same as it does with worn out mounts due to normal driving. You will be pulling the airbox to turbo pipe and possibility the intercooler pipes simply for access

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ytk

TDI
MK3
Just done the front one and the rear one today, saved the driver side transmission mount for another day. Preaty easy, Thanks guys!