What to look for on a 2006 one owner 5 spd

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It has been a while since I've been here. Totalled my 1999 tdi jetta and looking at a 2006.I am wondering whatto look for with the car says 1 owner has all paperwork and did timing belt change at 90,000.

ianmac23

TDI
MK5 Jetta
I just purchased a 1 owner 2006. Look for rust on the fenders. All 4 of my fenders had small rust bubbles and I purchased it from the dealer. VW covered the rust under warranty and I got them replaced. It cost VW almost 7k. If the car was around salt it is common. There is 10+ Mk5's in my parking lot at work and all of them have rust.

It has been a while since I've been here. Totalled my 1999 tdi jetta and looking at a 2006.I am wondering whatto look for with the car says 1 owner has all paperwork and did timing belt change at 90,000.

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
I just purchased a 1 owner 2006. Look for rust on the fenders. All 4 of my fenders had small rust bubbles and I purchased it from the dealer. VW covered the rust under warranty and I got them replaced. It cost VW almost 7k. If the car was around salt it is common. There is 10+ Mk5's in my parking lot at work and all of them have rust.
You got rust warrantied on a 10 year old car?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
So I was seeing another 06 for sale and it had new cam, lifters and dual mass flywheel. It says low power too. Initially I was thinking it could be a clogged intake, after further research here it could be more related to the turbo. What do you think?

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I think you're right about the turbo. I recommend comparing work performed between both cars. Before purchasing the 'low power' one, consider testing compression and leakdown.

Good info to have when looking at any TDI is to know the maintenance intervals and common failures. Then compare to each vehicle. Also it's important to establish if a well-known TDI mechanic/enthusiast did any of the major work such as cam, timing belt, and to a lesser degree DMF.