What to do suspension?

Williamkevin

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
I own a 2015 Passat TDI. Love the car however I really hate the suspension. It wallows, is jarring and feels cheap. Other than perfectly smooth pavement I don’t enjoy the ride. I want to achieve a great driver that I can enjoy every day. Who can tell me if a set of Bilsteins are the ticket or are they just an OE replacement. Or should I buy a set of H&R Coilovers with a rear sway bar. I don’t mind spending money. I want to covert this car into a fantastic ride that handles well and is perfectly dampened. If you know the perfect setup I want to know! Thanks

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
These make a big improvement: https://www.idparts.com/koni-special-active-strut-and-shock-set-nms-passat-p-5555.html

I've had them on my Jetta and they're great. Going on my BMW 335d soon.
Best investment I ever made on a car. They were called FSD's and now new and improved with a new name. The nose diving purposing Buick ride is gone. Comfortable in all conditions. Also, I ditched the factory installed 18" wheels for 16's. Some turkey on Vortex now has short sidewall stiff cool looking tires. Amen

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I ditched the factory installed 18" wheels for 16's" Michael B

Tires and wheels (rims) are key factors in the overall equation. Do read the
"what is handling" thread, longwinded at times, but great information.
Then come up with the solution that works for you.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
"I ditched the factory installed 18" wheels for 16's" Michael B

Tires and wheels (rims) are key factors in the overall equation. Do read the
"what is handling" thread, longwinded at times, but great information.
Then come up with the solution that works for you.
And people wonder why I insist in running the smallest diameter wheels available for most of my cars (B4 has 15s on it, not exactly huge). I need the sidewall height to protect the wheels. Still, I bend wheels. My BMW came with 17s (smallest wheel available for that model) and 3 out of the 4 wheels were bent when I bought it. I have a slightly bent AVUS wheel on my Wagon. And a slightly bent steelie with a snow tires. I can't imagine running 18s.
That's Why!!!!!! And they yield a more comfortable ride.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Another vote for Koni FSDs. I have a set on my white Golf, and they're wonderful. The new and improved version should be great for you.

Cheers,

PH

Williamkevin

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
I replaced the shocks with a set of Koni’s and also the springs to H&R OE sports. Incredible difference, the car is now the way it should have been! Absolutely love it!