What to do first!

Zayneq95

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9 ALH
Ok so guy I got this 97 jetta tdi from a estate sale. It’s a jewel and I love it ! I’ve completed on the maintenance on it to have it up to top tip shape ! Now it’s time for the mods but I don’t know what to do first?
Should I go for better fuel injectors first then chip it at the same time . Or what .
Any help or direction to find good after markets parts will be greatly appreciated! Also looking to go catless down pipe and straight all the way back.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
SBC stage 2 endurance
coolant aluminum parts upgrades.
Thermocure coolant flush.
better pads and tires, suspension, and so forth.
get some 764's and an EGT gauge and a tune for it. will be a new car at that point. learn to drive, autocross etc.....
there are many weak links on this old girl.
Shifter kit and upgrading parts like the shifter tower. make sure its bearings and seals are new.
do a few trans fluid changes... its going to be a mess in there.
when you have the trans out, do a fork upgrade, bearing retainer upgrade and a 5th gear and a proper flush.
Look up Ditzel mod... its a fuel filter mod.

she may be in up to snuff shape but there are MANY weak links you should do before upgrades are done. the trans and clutch are the 1st.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
It depends on how far you want to go. Keep in mind that with the more modern PD engines, the difference in internals between the US-spec 100 hp and the ARL at 150 hp is not subtle. To keep anything like OE reliability, some improvement is needed. So, I'll quote my young son, 'Dad, if we turn it up, it will break sooner'.

So, some moderate stuff to deliver more fueling( like DLC1019 nozzles ) and a tune should get more grins per squish of the GO pedal... :)
cheers,
Douglas

Zayneq95

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 1.9 ALH
T
SBC stage 2 endurance
coolant aluminum parts upgrades.
Thermocure coolant flush.
better pads and tires, suspension, and so forth.
get some 764's and an EGT gauge and a tune for it. will be a new car at that point. learn to drive, autocross etc.....
there are many weak links on this old girl.
Shifter kit and upgrading parts like the shifter tower. make sure its bearings and seals are new.
do a few trans fluid changes... its going to be a mess in there.
when you have the trans out, do a fork upgrade, bearing retainer upgrade and a 5th gear and a proper flush.
Look up Ditzel mod... its a fuel filter mod.

she may be in up to snuff shape but there are MANY weak links you should do before upgrades are done. the trans and clutch are the 1st.
Thanks so much man ! I don’t know if you remember me but this is my second post about this car and you commented on my first one . ( it was the one about the bearings and such)but yea I replaced brakes , bearings, rotors , and bleed them . Got up under and tackled all the rust I could find so you are my VW guardian angel lol. I don’t have much free time so I order parts and work on it when I can . Do you have any recommendations when it comes to suspension brand and a tuning kit ?
we don’t have a big local autocross scene but we do have a track.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Unless you plan on beating on her... just go with bilstien struts and a slightly lowered spring. Like 1 inch drop. If you want to hang in the corners put prothane bushings on the controll arms. Stiffener bar for rear axle beam and get nice soft tires and call it a day.
The clutch and your trans is the #1 thing to upgrade now. It can be made a bit stronger. Weakest is 3rd gear.
A LSD with bolts is a huge increase in handling in corners and takeoffs.
Past this just go light on some nozzles of your chose to hit a stage 2 or 3 tune and keep it from being a money pit.