What to cover up this area of the dash with?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Whoever had this car last used some epoxy or the like to glue something down in this position.

I used good off, rubbing alcohol, plastic razor blades and finally an eraser which wrecked the dash grain.

Too late now.

What might a good coverup be in that area?

Not a fan of the old dash covers but I am tired of looking at this with it being so close to my view.

What makes it tough is the curvature of the dash in this area for purposes of covering things up.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
The previous owner of my t'reg placed a small VW logo'd silicon mat (accessory) on the dashboard and I did not think much of it other than "I'm gonna remove it once I'm done with the purchase". Since it is made of silicon it stays on the dash without any adhesive. Driving off I stretched over to pull it off only to reveal a small crack on the dash 😫

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The previous owner of my t'reg placed a small VW logo'd silicon mat (accessory) on the dashboard and I did not think much of it other than "I'm gonna remove it once I'm done with the purchase". Since it is made of silicon it stays on the dash without any adhesive. Driving off I stretched over to pull it off only to reveal a small crack on the dash 😫

Unfortunately I have tried exactly this. The issue is that the mess is just below it. It certainly holds the phone but the rake is too deep for the phone to be useable at that angle. Any more slant than as pictured and the phone will fall off for sure.

Last edited:

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I am thinking of getting a mat or something just for that area. I just want to keep it simple but stable. For scope, the mess goes 4 inches back from the vent and the width of both vents is 10 inches wide.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

How about flocking the dashboard?

I thought about doing that but removing the dash seemed pretty complicated.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I bought something similar. That is a steep angle and looks good. If it holds the phone that will be great. I will definitely keep that idea in pocket if mine doesn't work out.

What is flocking the dash? You are right about removing the dash IMO...cost benefit isn't there.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Basically it involves buying a flocking kit which consists of a Shaker full of fibrous flocking material .

You clean the dashboard real well mask off what you don't want covered, spray adhesive on the dashboard and then sprinkle the flocking material all over the dashboard , waiting a while and then shaking out whatever doesn't stick.

Flocking is a way of covering the dash with small non-reflective fibers... it cuts down on glare from dashboards reflecting Sun onto the windshield and as a side benefit it hides imperfections and gives it a nice velvety perhaps matt looking finish

I would post a picture or a link but I'm not sure how to do that here ....

you could Google how to flock a dashboard and there's a number of YouTube videos and explanations of it.

I drive mostly at night and Volkswagens don't tend to glare a lot (at least compared to some of the other vehicles I've driven) so it wasn't for me strictly worth it to take everything apart to try to flock my dashboard .... plus i mainly drive at night.

In your case, since you're trying to hide an imperfection, it may be a cheap way to kill two birds with one stone .... hide the imperfections and reduce glare at the same time.

Andrew

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Me? I’d put a sticker or two over it. Or replace the dash. Stickers are easier….

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a mat and a cigarette lighter splitter. If I could just figure out how to get my wire management in order (which seems to be a pain in this car) this will be pretty/functional and allow me to keep my FM transmitter up high for easy visibility. Very cost effective if this all works out.