What tires are you guys running?

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My Michelin Premier A/S tires on on their last leg, so I'm going to order me a new set. I REALLY love how well the Michelin Premiers handle wet surfaces, but I'm not impressed with the miles I got out of them. I want to say they were rated for 55k or 60k miles, but I only will get about 45k out of them.

My wife's Q7 TDI has Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II's, and I love them, but her vehicle is AWD. Pirelli released a new Cinturato P7 All Season Plus ll tire, which supposedly uses the same new component's as the Verde A/S Plus II's, and it's supposed to work better on wet roads. We had the original P7's, but I wasn't impressed with them on wet roads. I really want to try the new P7's, but don't want to be stuck with them for 60-70k miles if I don't like them.

Does anyone else have recommendations on tires that will last at least 60k miles and do well on wet roads. I'm in FL, so that's my biggest concern, wet/dry traction. I'm most likely going to lean towards the Michelin's again, but this time I'll rotate/balance them every 5-6k miles to take advantage of the mileage warranty.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I had a set of Michelin Defenders on my 2013, great in the wet and the wear was great too. I have some kind of Pirellis on my 2015, very good in water but not wearing like the Defenders. I had the A/S Michelins on my 2013, like you said they were good in water but didn’t wear as well. Both Passats had 18 inch stock rims.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Forgot to say, I had to go to a 225-50-18 to get a Defender, which is about 6% bigger, but my speedometer was reading about 7% low based on gps speed so the bigger tire corrected the speedo error nicely.

I had tried to correct the speedo error on vcds but in 2013 when I was trying that, I could not get a good setting. The one that worked only recognized a 5 speed, cruise and the shift light wouldn’t work in 6th!!

Reactions: Ton

03 shaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Forgot to say, I had to go to a 225-50-18 to get a Defender, which is about 6% bigger, but my speedometer was reading about 7% low based on gps speed so the bigger tire corrected the speedo error nicely.

I had tried to correct the speedo error on vcds but in 2013 when I was trying that, I could not get a good setting. The one that worked only recognized a 5 speed, cruise and the shift light wouldn’t work in 6th!!
If i'm not mistaken, in these cars the speedo does read fast, but the odometer is actually dead on. Not a huge deal, but just thought you might want to know. And your car could be different and actually be off, I don't know, but the general speedo vs. odo differences is a weird VW quirk.

And for the thread topic, I'm still on the factory Continentals at 53K miles. They had a bad vibration over 70 for awhile but a good rotate and balance fixed that. I'm hoping to get 60K at least out of this set.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for the input everyone.

I decided to check my promotions folder by chance last night on Gmail and I saw discount tire is having a flash sale on their discount tire direct website. The Michelin Premier A/S already have about $110 rebate, $20-$40 rebate using your Discount Tire card and with this flash sale they give another instant $80 off today and tomorrow only. I forgot I won’t get charged sales tax on the tires either, so that’s another $57 savings.

I’m just going to go with the Premiers again because they can be had for roughly $832 + $130-$140 rebates. That’s a pretty dang good deal,imo, since my current set basically cost me almost $1,100. I may have gotten insurance on them, but I won’t do that again.

LabGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
My CPO came with some no name Dunlops. I tried researching them to find out something about them to no avail. When they wear out I plan to do some research using Tire Rack.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I just put Toyo Extensa A/SII on my little Mitsubishi Mirage which is very light and loves to hydroplane, and drove on a rutted highway last night with standing water in the ruts and they cut right through. I was very impressed. Plus they have a 75k mile warranty. Might give them a look.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I use Michelin Premier only. Four at a time at Costco.

My Michelin Premiers are coming today. I'll make an appointment to install them next Friday. I couldn't pass up this good for a deal. This will give the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II's to get more reviews to see if I consider them next go around, which will be about a year and half away.

AllanJJ

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
I have continental DWS06 installed on my 13 Passat. Got them from discount tire back in April, VW tire store had a sale (buy 3 get one free) on all continental tires, so I got them to price match that. When I bought it they put some iMove brand on there. Those sucked and wore down to less than 3/32nd in less than 8k miles after buying the car. I love my DWS tires. I had them on my Audi A4 B6. They are a bit more noisy than other tires I’ve had but they’re overall a great all season tire with great snow and wet traction.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
One of the things I dislike about my '13 is the road noise in the cabin. For me, quietness of the tire to eliminate as much road noise as possible is as important or even more important that tread life. The last thing I want is a tire with an 80,000 mile treadwear warranty that will last me at least 10 years and is noisy as all hell.

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I just installed a second set of Firestone Firehawk AS. I got 52k out of the previous set. Could have got another 10k out of them, but one had cupping. Experts say these tires are too soft and inadequate. They may be right.

My alignment was off - Left wheel: ok. Right wheel: excessive camber, caster, and toe. So maybe that was the culprit.

I've got lifetime alignment adjustment, but they won't adjust caster. It's at Firestone today. I'll report back if I have too much drift to right after they fix the camber and toe.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I got my new Michelin Premier A/S tires installed on Friday. I’m going to take back my word on how I wasn’t impressed with the miles I got out of them. Two tires were 5/32, one was 4/32, and the last was 2/32. I replaced them early because of the 2/32 tire. At 90k miles (38k on tires) this tire was at 4/32. I figured another 10k mikes and they were done for.

I’m not sure if something is wrong with my suspension or what would have caused just this one tire to wear out a lot faster. I had them rotated every 10k mikes, because that’s what the service manual said. I’m now going to do them every 5-6k miles, so if one does prematurely wear out, I can do a mileage claim.

If this happens again, I’ll buy a used Premier A/S and replace the worn out one and keep on driving. I think I could have gotten, if not pretty close, to the 60k rating they get.

I did keep one tire as a spare, which was at 5/32. I had spare wheels, so I had one put on and now I have a full size spare in my trunk.

Randolphyeary

TDI
2015 Passat Sel Tdi
I'm late to the party but I'm running the continental
extreme contact dws 06, 235 /45 R18.
Been on them for about a month and a half no problems.
Got a deal on them. If not those I would have went with the pro contact ls since they are good for 70k miles. I've always ran continental tires with no problems.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I got my new Michelin Premier A/S tires installed on Friday. I’m going to take back my word on how I wasn’t impressed with the miles I got out of them. Two tires were 5/32, one was 4/32, and the last was 2/32. I replaced them early because of the 2/32 tire. At 90k miles (38k on tires) this tire was at 4/32. I figured another 10k mikes and they were done for.

I’m not sure if something is wrong with my suspension or what would have caused just this one tire to wear out a lot faster. I had them rotated every 10k mikes, because that’s what the service manual said. I’m now going to do them every 5-6k miles, so if one does prematurely wear out, I can do a mileage claim.
It could be as simple as low air pressure. When i replaced the original continental tires on my bug (215/55 17s) i had 3 at 5/32, and 1 at 3/32 on the front. They had been rotated every 10k, and the car had 47,000 miles. No wear issue on the replacement michelins, i’m at 93,000 miles (46,000 on the tires). I also have a full size spare for my passat, one michelin had a slight vibration to it, i had to put the spare on because of a screw in a different tire. After patching the hole, i rotated the vibration tire to the trunk.

AWDYEAH

TDI
2015 Passat SE
I'm kind of old school when it comes to FWD cars, does anyone have a good winter/summer combo they'd like to recommend? My SE has the 18" wheels. I was thinking about getting a new set of wheel for the summer and use the stock ones for winter (previous owner beat the heck out of the stock wheels).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
215-65-16 Nokian Haka 9 studded are the winter flavor, the wife said i broke her car when she drove it for the first time "ive never driven a car with studs that sounds like this" hehehe, she was kind of offended when reading the sidewall and states "SUV" on them.

Something something bridgestones are on the 18" Bristols, but will be getting nokian EnTyre 2.0 probably next summer in stock size.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
I got a set of 4 brand new Bridgestone Potenzas all season's put on at costco for just over $900 .00 tax incl. drives smooth as silk on them. i was thinking of getting michellins but there price is always way above others wich honestly i dont think is worth dishing out extra $$ for when comparing manufacturers road hazard tire warranty from make to make.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I barely had the tires on for 2 weeks and already ran over a piece of metal that flattened a tire. Luckily it can be patched, and the place I bought them from will do it for free. Kinda tempted to just buy the dang insurance now with the luck that I have, lol.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I barely had the tires on for 2 weeks and already ran over a piece of metal that flattened a tire. Luckily it can be patched, and the place I bought them from will do it for free. Kinda tempted to just buy the dang insurance now with the luck that I have, lol.

Well, tire isn't replacable, so I need a new one. Bought the certificates, because tire was $203 and I'm within time to buy the certs for $84 total. Just my luck, lol.

AWDYEAH

TDI
2015 Passat SE
215-65-16 Nokian Haka 9 studded are the winter flavor, the wife said i broke her car when she drove it for the first time "ive never driven a car with studs that sounds like this" hehehe, she was kind of offended when reading the sidewall and states "SUV" on them.

Something something bridgestones are on the 18" Bristols, but will be getting nokian EnTyre 2.0 probably next summer in stock size.

Awesome thanks, I’ll look into the Nokian for winter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 installed a few weeks ago. Have about 400 miles on them. I've noticed that they tend to flat spot just from parking over night. It goes away after a few miles when the tires warm up. Not sure if I like them or not. Thinking about calling up Discount Tire and having them swapped out with the Michelin Crossclimate+.

Last edited:

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
I did have my Continental Extreme Contact DWS06s swapped with the Michelin Crossclimate+ at Discount Tire. Much better. The Continentals would take 4-5 miles before the flat spots worked their way out. Made the whole car rattle. The Michelins are performing great. Only a few hundred miles on them but no flat spots after parking the car overnight. I will see how they perform this winter. Hope that I don't need to get a set of winter tires.

Huskey4NU

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SEL
I’ve been reading up on tires as I’m going to be needing new ones, has anyone ever tried vredestein quatrac pro? The reviews are superb but there was only one that I saw from our Passat TDI SEL.

pkforbes87

TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I'm a big fan of Michelin Defenders. I'm on my 3rd set. First sets lasted 116k and 125k miles. These tires perform great for my long haul highway driving needs, with wet handling only tapering off beyond 100k.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
I have Continental Pure Contact LS tires on now, bought because of ratings, price, warranty, etc. This is my commuter car and so far they have been great. I did not get the certificates, but at around 8000 miles, a damaged beyond repair tire was replaced with new for $30 under factory warranty.

Also, at under 5000miles, my son and I went snowboarding in Flagstaff. It is a 7 mile twisty, climbing mountain road to the ski lodge and the "4x4 or chains required" (I had neither) sign had just turned on due to snow/ice. We got up the hill just fine. Snowed all day, wonderful conditions, but I was worried about getting out. When we got back to the car, I dug out the snow from the front and had my son prepared to push from behind. Turns out that was not needed, as the tires hooked up well and we just motored out. Down the hill at a prudent speed, we passed 2 other vehicles, one with 4wd over the edge. So I guess, at least when relatively new, they worked great in the snow.