What time frame did the dealer give you?

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Ordered my Passat TDI SEL Premium 10/3/11 (Glacier Blue/Cornsilk). Dealer said delivery late Dec. early Jan. Received email today stating Jan./Feb. My understanding is that the SEL's are in production now at a pultry 400 a day. :(

Just wondering what other dealers are advising.
I ordered mine in late Aug and I just got mine last week and I wasnt supposed to get mine till after xmas.

I think because mine was a stick (nowhere near the demand) it came up faster.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I went to the dealer on Saturday, drove out with Black/Cornsilk leather, SEL, on Tuesday, $500 below invoice.:p (I told you I'd keep yanking your chain...)
I know, I know...it's not a stick. I'd like the manual, but it's my wife's daily driver, and she prefers the auto...after 25+ years of driving manuals.
Only 150 miles, and we LOVE it. Not as nimble as the Jetta, but the trade-off of space, luxury appointments, etc. etc. I expecially like the cornering lights. Pulling into a dark driveway, they are quite useful...even more-so, after I get the windows tinted a bit.

We haven't had a fully-optioned car since our '93 Audi S-4...that was a great car, built-in CORDED phone (analog). The phone was "cloned" during a 2-minute phone call in NYC...next day, over $1200 of long-distance calls to Nigeria. Verizon ate the expense, but the phone was retired...Drove the car for 165k miles, still getting 22mph highway when I sold it.

Last edited:

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Dealer now says it should be here around the end of the month. As of yesterday's email, the dealer has a Night Blue/Cornsilk TDI SEL and a White SE w/sunroof up for grabs. No mention if the White SE was stick, auto, tdi or anything else.

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Dealer now says it should be here around the end of the month. As of yesterday's email, the dealer has a Night Blue/Cornsilk TDI SEL and a White SE w/sunroof up for grabs. No mention if the White SE was stick, auto, tdi or anything else.
Which dealer in SW Ohio did you order from? The reason I ask is that I have a TDI SEL on order since 10/14 at Loveland VW. Getting info from them is a slow process.

Ron M

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I expecially like the cornering lights. Pulling into a dark driveway, they are quite useful...even more-so, after I get the windows tinted a bit.
Cornering lights? You are not talking about the AFS (Adaptive Front-Lighting System) right, because this is not included on the US Passat, only the CC or the Golf.

Those lights actually redirected so that they pointed in the intended direction.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Yes cornering lights. There are lights on the outer corners of the front end that come on when you are at low speed and either turn in a direction or turn on your blinker. They cast light out to the front side so you can see what is at that corner of the car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They also come on when in reverse...combined with the r/h mirror dipping to see the curb...great features.
Sorry about the thread hijack!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes cornering lights. There are lights on the outer corners of the front end that come on when you are at low speed and either turn in a direction or turn on your blinker. They cast light out to the front side so you can see what is at that corner of the car.
cornering lights: "Halogen reflector lens foglights, integrated into front bumper, including cornering light"

Ok, so not the AFS, but similar in nature. I wondered why they would not have included the AFS on the Passat now I see. Considering I only test drove during the day, I would not have noted this feature.

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Which dealer in SW Ohio did you order from? The reason I ask is that I have a TDI SEL on order since 10/14 at Loveland VW. Getting info from them is a slow process.

Ron M

Ron,

I ordered mine from Fairfield on Oct. 3rd. The only contact I have gotten is after I have initiated it. You might get a phone call from VW America. I received such call today. Offered an apology for the delay & lunch or dinner on VW by way of a $50 check. I was told my delivery date is 12/26/11 and given a Passat Priority Hotline & said they have the dealers commission number (whatever that is).

John

TDI
awaiting 2012 Passat TDI Highline DSG
Ordered Aug. 24. Apparently, passat will arrive this weekend for pickup from dealership early next week. The production estimates seem quite accurate.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, so my production pull date stated 12/12. Questioned the dealer if it had been pulled yet since we are on the 16th. Still waiting for their response.

I think they are afraid to tell me. :)

Sparkles

TDI
2012 SEL Premium - 145k miles
Unsure of dates provided

My TDI SEL Premium was ordered on 9/16. The order was entered on 9/19. The only other date that I have received was that it was "picked up by the Factory Internal System" on 11/17.

Does anyone know what that means? Is that the same as when people here have stated they were assigned a production week or is that something different?

My dealer, who has been very nice, keeps showing me the screen in the ordering system with only the above info. I don't believe that they are hiding anything from me. I have tried Calling Customer Service, who pointed me back to the dealer. Twitter requests led to the same. I found this forum and I am just trying to figure out how everyone else is getting loads of information and all I have is above.

This is my first experience in purchasing a VW and I am not sure how to react to this non-information. Is this normal? Will this really be worth the wait?

Any other suggestions for someone not in the know?

WendellG

TDI
2012 Opera Red Passat TDI SEL
Ordered Sept 24th, Opera Red / Black interior, TDI SEL Prem. Originally told hopeful for Thanksgiving, then beginning of Dec, now shows in Production, so anyone's guess is as good as mine when it will arrive. First experience with VW and the folks have been great and pretty straight forward, it's still frustrating.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Ordered Sept 24th, Opera Red / Black interior, TDI SEL Prem. Originally told hopeful for Thanksgiving, then beginning of Dec, now shows in Production, so anyone's guess is as good as mine when it will arrive. First experience with VW and the folks have been great and pretty straight forward, it's still frustrating.
I've been in the same boat as you (except that I ordered a month earlier). It would appear they they pooled all the TDI orders to build between late Nov. and early Dec. I think that by now we should have gotten VIN's to acknowledge it was built and is waiting for the train ride. I called the VW hotline to complain Thursday last week. They called me back Friday and are investigating. They are supposed to get back to me by Tuesday this week with the latest update. I'm a previous GM guy who always ordered car (I have never bought a new car off the lot), By now GM would have probably delivered.

Sparkles

TDI
2012 SEL Premium - 145k miles
So I was told today that my SEL Premium that was ordered on 9/16 will not be completed by the factory until the 6th week of 2012. That is Mid-February, so I am really confused why other that ordered in October are getting delivery in December.

Wouldn't it be a FIFO system for all SEL Premiums? I wonder what people that are ordering them today are being told that they will be delivered.

Santa2ya

TDI
None
So I was told today that my SEL Premium that was ordered on 9/16 will not be completed by the factory until the 6th week of 2012. That is Mid-February, so I am really confused why other that ordered in October are getting delivery in December.

Wouldn't it be a FIFO system for all SEL Premiums? I wonder what people that are ordering them today are being told that they will be delivered.
I was told recently by a competing dealer that VW is doing another TDI SEL run in February 2012 to get caught up with order's. I have not heard anything else on my order but I do agree VW of America should do first in first out. :confused:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
My production date was slated for 12/12. My dealer is not responding with information on whether it has been pulled for production or not yet.

Really, this will be their biggest failure if they keep screwing around the customers like this.

They have had MONTHS to get their crap together. Really! And all the VW apologists just need to keep their platitudes to themselves. You don't stay in business by acting this way.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, TomB. Sorry for the "platitudes." I don't believe anyone here, including myself, is an "apologist" for VWoA. I think the collective "we" here are just trying to help understand the possible causes for the delay, to try to soften the anger of several that have posted here.

You are correct that VWoA isn't handling this well. Wouldn't be the first time a major corporation mishandled the introduction of a new, highly popular item. It won't be the last. When you add in the frustration/discomfort/embarrassment of the salesman (selling you a car IS their livlihood!), it's not surprising that phone calls don't get returned...especially when they have no new information, and nothing to say to you to make you feel any better.

I'm very sorry for the ordeal many are living through, especially when so many were hoping to have their cars around this holiday period.

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Sorry, TomB. Sorry for the "platitudes." I don't believe anyone here, including myself, is an "apologist" for VWoA. I think the collective "we" here are just trying to help understand the possible causes for the delay, to try to soften the anger of several that have posted here.

You are correct that VWoA isn't handling this well. Wouldn't be the first time a major corporation mishandled the introduction of a new, highly popular item. It won't be the last. When you add in the frustration/discomfort/embarrassment of the salesman (selling you a car IS their livlihood!), it's not surprising that phone calls don't get returned...especially when they have no new information, and nothing to say to you to make you feel any better.

I'm very sorry for the ordeal many are living through, especially when so many were hoping to have their cars around this holiday period.
TDIAtLast

I think that you are misreading the VW customers who have ordered a car months ago and are trying to get an update.

Since Friday, I have had two calls from VW Customer Care, telling me they do not know anything and that they will call me back. I look at it this way. I appreciate the callbacks even when you have no new information but I start to wonder why they do not have any information. VW has had my order (and my money) for over two months but I have had no information from VW since my car went into Factory Order Bank on Nov 14th. In this day and age, VW should be able to look up my car and based on their ability to produce these cars, tell me an approximate ship date.

Now the last thing I want them to do is to rush the production of my car. If it takes until Jan/Feb, so be it. I can put on my big boy pants and deal with it.

The thing that bothers me is the communication part of this equation. I have had to nag the dealer (and so many others have) in order to get any information. Communication does not cost a lot of money; it is more an attitude. This is the one thing that has disappointed me about VW.

Ron M

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Communication with VW, and within VWoA, has never been their strong suit. Ditto for customer service.
I don't see how, with a new plant, new workers, new car design, etc. etc., that they would somehow be able to do now what they've never done well before.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Communication with VW, and within VWoA, has never been their strong suit. Ditto for customer service.
I don't see how, with a new plant, new workers, new car design, etc. etc., that they would somehow be able to do now what they've never done well before.
Yeah but they keep saying they want to be number one. That means you IMPROVE and CHANGE. The fact that they appear to be doing business as usual shows they do NOT really want to be number one.

They claim the plant is state of the art, well why does it still malfunction like the good old plants?

I am a long time VW guy and even I am getting sick of them, enough to even be considering GAS vehicles!! That is the issue.

I completely agree about communication. It is easy and cheap, all they have to do is SHARE. Unfortunately they are choosing to keep it close at the expense of customer experience and that is wrong.

To me this shows that the US plant cannot even get up to speed like Germany or Mexico even. They need to get into triage mode and get the issues fixed now.

Unfortunately that would mean MORE costs and VW does not want to do that, so here we are with delay after delay.

And to think for years people blamed lazy UAW workers for all the ills of US auto manufacturers, yet here we are in the same position with a non union shop. Maybe this shows the real issue was. Management!

WendellG

TDI
2012 Opera Red Passat TDI SEL
Sept 24th ordered Opera Red/Black Interior, Passat SEL Premium, Told in Production in Dec, should have VIN 12/21, leaving TN 12/28. Still don't have a VIN as of today, although you should have heard how excited the folks at the dealership were when they first thought they did have a VIN for me. I think they are just as excited to get these cars out there. Can't say this has been the best 1st experience with VW, but I'm sure I'll love the car when it gets here.

breind01

Mine was placed with VW on 9/12 and two weeks ago dealer told me delilvery about Mid Feb - the 13th to be exact. So kind of in-line with yours. I cancelled my order & went back to my local dealer whom had a cancellation of a TDI SEL Grey Met. The customer gave up and bought an Audi instead. ETA from my local dealer is now week of Jan 23rd.

Santa2ya

TDI
None
Just a thought here!

Have any of you agreed on a price when ordering your new Passat?

Was that price at sticker or below?

I paid sticker and I am :D about my choice. Plus I got mine in under 3 months (ordered 10/03 - picked up 12/27). So I am wondering if $$ talks & get the wheels turning faster versus haggling & waiting longer.

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just heard from my dealer on my TDI SEL ordered on Oct 14th. Delivery is currently slated for week of Feb 20th.

RM

Beetle Bill

TDI
05.5 Jetta, 2012 Passat Sel Premium
Waiting patiently

Ordered Platium Gray, Moonrock Gray interior, SEL TDI Premium on August 15th, Hallmark VW, Nashville. Sales people have been very pleasant. I'm trading in a 2009 CC with 47,000 miles. The wait is getting irritating but more worrisome is watching the VW Loyalty on my trade expiring last Monday $500. The car is ordered, basically bought, not my fault we don't have it. Delivery date is January 23rd. I've been told this since December 18th. Hoping it comes in as promised.