What the fix did to my 2014 A6 TDI.

jchristilles

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Hello, my first post and not a happy one at that. I bought my Audi A6 TDI new in 2014 with the idea I would be putting 300,000 to 400,000 miles on it, my commute is at least 60 miles each way to work and I now have 104,000 on it.
Now for the fix. I took the car to the dealer and had to talk with Audi on the phone to prove who I was and then a code was released for the fix. I got the car back and what a difference in performance and the way it shifts. First of all the car will idle higher when warmed up, it used to be around 600 rpm and now it is around 900 rpm. Shifting is much different, the transmission shifts around 1900 rpm and that is in auto mode, in dynamic mode it shifts around 2300 rpm. Driving in town or traffic under 60 mph the car runs high rpm's up to 1800 rpm and just hangs there until you get it over the shifting point then it drops down to 1200 rpm. But put any pressure on the gas and it will drop to a lower gear and rev high. In traffic while commuting one can feel the car shift after getting to 1800 rpm and I feel a slight jerk while shifting. The slapping or jerking feeling has settled down a little after a few days of driving.
The Torque has been reduced, I asked Audi TDI what the specs are and they could not tell me. I no longer can get the car to push me in the seat the way it did before the fix. The car will get out of its own way with the shift pattern being set higher, but watch out for that LAG that is now present. Yes there is a lag now that was never there and it is something else. Leaving a light and then start to accelerate, the car does not move it actually slows down a bit then kicks in and what a kick it gives. I have merged into traffic and went to accelerate but the car has different ideas. I can see someone getting hit with this problem.. Its seems to happen around 20 mph area and also in the 40 mph area. I have also had problems getting on the highway, step on the accelerator and it goes no where, then kicks it and it is a wait.
Now for the Kicker. I talked to Audi sales after the fix, I was looking at a Certified A7. Well after the manager looked at my car, which is in Excellent condition inside and out, he talked with the salesman for a bit and came back to be and said they can buy this car retail for $22,000 and at that point I stopped him and said NO, they were leaning towards giving me $18,000 for it. They told me they did not know how to price these TDI's. Let me tell you, this makes me angry. This car was once the car to get and it cost extra for the TDI version and now with this Scandal the value has dropped to a Volkswagen value.
I was thinking on having the cars performance upgraded but have been reading that Audi has put a lock in the system so software upgrades cannot be put in.
Audi should have bought back all of these cars and I am hoping more people will complain to Audi's TDI department as I have done, and maybe they will do something about this. But I am not happy with Audi, this was my first Audi and could be my last.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Just to address one or two of your points, not to take away from the whole in any way...

The torque and horsepower curve of a 3.0 l TDI engine is only really approaching its potential at 2000 rpm, so you are not really losing anything at all in that area, except for the “feel” of the original factory tune, which Audi set up to cater to an idea of refinement and driver taste. If the car no longer holds at 1200, but downshifts, it is doing so to get closer to the fat of the performance abilities of the engine, which also happens to help hold down emissions. Also, the jerky shifting tends to settle down with time.

The warm up cycle is undoubtedly a problem with the fixed engines, if you are not in the habit of driving for distance. Also, the values are indeed in the tank right now.

On my Q5, if I am not happy with the fix (which I am having done in 10 days), and my Chipwerke piggyback chip doesn’t help enough, I will get a tune. With so much warranty remaining, I don’t plan on that right away, though.

A lot of folks are done with the company, for good reasons. You have described some above. Dollar-wise, you are better off accommodating to your situation as best you can. I don’t see any reason why you could not realize your original plan to drive your A6 for 300-400K Miles.

jchristilles

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Well I am probably keeping it. The ride is smoothing out now after 500 plus miles, the lag that happens around 20 mph and in the 40 mph area can be dealt with if I put the car in sport mode, maybe that too will lighten up but I am not counting on it. As for what Audi will give me on a trade, its just not worth it, I will be taking a bath.

I am looking to see what there are for performance upgrades and if I want to do that.

Don't get me wrong I still love my Audi but am just a little ticked of how this ended.

Also where is my money from Bosch? I talked with Audi TDI and they told me they are not involved in that. I guess the money will come at some point.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Do you work in the Millyard Manchester?

I've been eyeing a sweet A6 TDI when walking to lunch, I was very tempted to put my business car under the windshield asking to be contacted if the owner ever wanted to sell.

What your describing can be fixed with a tune, reach out to Malone, they can do wonders for drivablilty of CR TDIs.

Also to balk at the trade in value, is like peeing up a tree, a dealer isn't going to go against their financial sense, if X car is wholesaling at a price they are going to offer 1-2K under that no ifs ands or buts, regardless of what it is and what it was.

If you take that trade in value of what you have and add the compensation to it, you should be back to somewhat even.

Also I'd hate to pay for the fuel of an A7 if you're putting on +30K a year.

I'd vote for tune and motor on and report back if you have any timing chain issues before you hit 400K.

The bosch money will come, it makes walking to get the mail exciting as you never know when it'll arrive!

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I’ve been trying to get the tune back on my Q5, but the new file isn’t in the database yet so the Powergate won’t download it. The file has to be built into the database before updating the Powergate.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you send your file to Malone? They had to do similar database building when the '15 2.0 came out.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The tune is from JR Auto Tuning. I’ve been emailing fixmyvw.com and they’ve been helpful, but JR Auto Tuning hasn’t replied to my emails.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ohh, bummer, best of luck.

jchristilles

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
No, that is not my car at the Millyard in Manchester, but it is fairly close to where I live. I have decided to keep the A6, the shifting has mellowed out now and on the highway I have noticed a better giddy-up when passing that slow car who is doing God knows what in the left lane, it actually moves out very well, that would be the higher shifting RPM.

I will look into the Malone tune, the A6 is at the point of needing new tires all the way around also. Just put on new pads and rotors in the back and had the brake system flushed. I am using that money Audi gave me. :D

Lets see how many miles one can put on these cars.

saggii

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer - Jetta(s), A6
I just got the fix and before I was apprehensive of word "neutered". But to tell you guys the truth, it seems it has really been neutered. The car just doesn't push as well. And the noise...god it is just like a truck esp in city driving, as op mentioned between 20-40 m/h. I recall when I first bought this car the cabin seemed to be well insulated and the noise - the diesel engine noise, was contained very well, that I really thought is more like a gasser but better fuel economy. Now the noise is just there because of the higher RPMs.
I really hope it will get better after 500 miles.

jchristilles

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
It should get better after driving it for a while, 500 miles should do it. The transmission will shift smoother, on the highway get on it and it will move out. :). But beware of the lag, one happens around 10-15 mph when you pull away from a light, merge into traffic etc. I put the car in Sport Mode and it helps with that. Also getting on the highway there is another lag at around 40 mph. I have decided to keep mine as it is has smoothed out. As for the engine noise, yes it is louder but it too has quieted down some, or I am used to it now. Gas mileage has dropped by around 2 miles to the gallon. As for the adblue no warning yet that I am low.

chalkycat@gmail.com

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
Bosch 1/2 half of $ & resale value

I already had the fix and got my 2nd half of the money. When though do we get the 2nd half of the money from Bosch?

I have a Q5 premium plus TDI and the guy at the dealership said my car will be in big demand and people will pay a lot for it since it's a diesel. Is that true or was I being taken?

One more question. Before the fix, my check engine light would be on and off etc. then it just stayed off. After the fix, the check engine light is on consistently. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Thanks. The car is averaging 25 mi to the gall.

PaulLIC

TDI
A6
2014 A6 TDI fixed and satisfied

I purchased a new 2014 A6 TDI. Now at 80k miles. Had the fix done in November and am "pretty" ok with it. When cold it runs high RPM and louder. When it warms up the only issue is when starting from a full stop or going at slow speed, there is a slight hesitation. In sport mode it's a bit better. We needed to slightly change our driving habits to compensate. Otherwise, it's fine. Milage dropped about one mile per gallon. So the big question, when we were shopping for a diesel in 2014 and test drove Mercedes and BMW 4 cylinders vs. Audi 3.0 TDI would we have purchased the Audi? Answer: coin flip.

Never the less, we decided to keep it long term.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
This car was once the car to get and it cost extra for the TDI version and now with this Scandal the value has dropped to a Volkswagen value.
i have no sympathy for you after reading this comment. you drive a Volkswagen, after all. not happy? get a tune. still not happy? get a gasser and quit complaining.

PaulLIC

TDI
A6
Had the fix done November 2019 on 2014 A6. Just had the exhaust fix, what a difference. Runs like it originally did. No lag, great shifting. MPG down a bit.

jchristilles

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Well its been a while since my last post. I had a new tune put in my TDI, APR tune. It cost me $600.00 and what a difference. The car now gets out of its own way and the lag is all but gone!! The tune is rated for an additional 60 hp and 49 ftlbs of torque. Now my gas mileage did go down a bit but I am still around 33 miles to the gallon. Put the car in dynamic and hold on she really moves and just pushes you in the seat. Much better performance than when I bought it, in city and on the highway. I am now happy driving the car again and have no intensions on getting rid of it. If you have the same issue I cannot say enough about the APR drop in tune , Get it you will love it.!!!