What the fark is this?

gdave44

In the process of looking for my TCU in my 2000 Jetta (getting bad shifts from 3rd to 4th) so I can check the ground, I ran across this box.

It doesn't seem to be professionally installed, I found it just bouncing around under the drivers side kick panel. It has a ground going to a screw near the fuse block and then the power going to a bad splice to one of the thick red wires going to a bridge.

I haven't been able to figure out where the RCA cable goes yet. It runs under the carpet behind the pedals, but I don't know it's final destination.
Also if anyone can detail where the TCU is, I'd appreciate it.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
it looks like a square with a red X in the middle to mee...

LINKY NO WORKY /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gdave44

Hrm, seems to work for some and not for others. It's on my home server with secure http. Where is a good place to house pictures for the forum? I don't run unsecured out of my server.

I'm regretting buying used. I don't know what the previous owner did to this car in it's first 26k miles of life. I do know she broke the center console, cup holder, and glove box though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

rlotz

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2001, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
Hrm, seems to work for some and not for others. It's on my home server with secure http. Where is a good place to house pictures for the forum? I don't run unsecured out of my server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using a self signed cert for https is going to confuse a lot of people, especially with the warnings. If you're not going to open up http then you should probably just upload the pictures here. See the "photos" link below the "Get Yours Today" license plate frame.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I can't be absolutely sure, but this looks very much like a FM amplifier. Perhaps the previous owner had antenna problems, and attempted to solve it with this? Very likely, unsuccessfully. If you have a poor antenna system, these will not help at all.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
In the picture, I see a RCA type female jack, a RCA male jack, and one each red and black wire. This is what I base my supposition on. Also, it has a FCC ID #. This usually means it has something to do with sound system or remote system.

gdave44

The male was plugged into the female, disconnected them to show the RCA ends. But I do see where the confusion came from now. So hard to get a good picture after sundown.

vbenw

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
could it be used for a cell phone? Or what about a subwoofer? Mono signal and one way. Although it wouldn't carry a very good signal ,need thicker gauge wiring.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Try searching the FCC ID. Its always very helpful when i'm trying to identify a mystery comptuer part...

FCC ID Search Engine

EDIT: I just searched the fccid,(IDI-lju-03) a guess what I came up with.... Your car has Lo Jack! Congratualtions!

-Jason

gdave44

I had a feeling it was something like that. Good, so I can remove it, just need to figure out where that cable goes. Now if I can just figure out where the TCU is... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DLV

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI ALH 5M silver, 2011 Audi A3 TDI Monza Silver
My guess is an old abondoned in place car kit for a cell phone.

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle
[ QUOTE ]

TCU? Foat Wuff, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the only horny toad (horned lizard) any of you ever see - they are way endangered now... /images/graemlins/frown.gif
The were everywhere when I was a wee lad.

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
[ QUOTE ]
That may be the only horny toad (horned lizard) any of you ever see - they are way endangered now

[/ QUOTE ]
And they are deee-licious! You live on a butte out there? My brother wants to retire out there, and he should have bought land 10 years ago when he lived in Austin.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black
Previous owner on work release following felony conviction. Prolly had a similar device attached to ankle. Don't ask me how I know...'cause I don't.....

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
The transmission control module is in what is called the "plenum". That is the area under the black plastic trim at the base of the windshield, aft of the hood. The module on the right is the TCM (big black thing towards the left in the picture below), the one in the center is the ECM (engine control module).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
[ QUOTE ]
I just searched the fccid,(IDI-lju-03) a guess what I came up with.... Your car has Lo Jack! Congratulations!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I had a feeling it was something like that. Good, so I can remove it, just need to figure out where that cable goes. Now if I can just figure out where the TCU is... /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, no! The previous owner paid about $600 bucks for that box, and now it's yours. Poorly installed, perhaps, but it should be good for a discount on your insurance.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
No, LoJack is a one-time charge, then it stays with the car forever; I don't think it is possible to transfer to another vehicle, or maybe it is just not cost-effective. The previous owner must have forgotten about it, or would have asked for a bit more money.

gdave44

Lo Jack doesn't even cover my area, so wouldn't have been a selling point anyway. Now I wonder where the car came from. Figured it was a local trade in, but must have come from auction.