What sort of EDC do I have?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Hi all,

This is a shot of the ECU I have in my A6:

Its from a 2000 Passat AFN which Google suggests has EDC15V+. Is this right? :confused:

The reason I ask is that I was expecting the VIN to show in the 'extra' field so it could be coded to the immobilizer. Also a tool that claims to be able to read the PIN from EDC15x or turn off the immo just comes up with an error :(

Thanks...

Last edited:

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Just found this:

1. MSA12 : plastic housing / single connector / 2x8bit / normal turbo / 1Z (e.g. 021C)
1b. MSA12 : plastic housing / single connector / 2x8bit / normal turbo / 1Z / IMMO (e.g. 021AF)
2. MSA15.5 : alu housing / single connector / 1x16bit / normal turbo and VTG / 1Z/AHU and AFN
2b. MSA15.7 : alu housing / dual connector / 1x16bit / normal turbo and VTG / various enginecodes
Mine is a dual connector ECU so does that make it MSA15.7 instead?

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Well that sucks! I just opened it up and sure enough there is a pair of eproms soldered to the board grr! :mad:

Any thoughts on the immo coding?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Well that sucks! I just opened it up and sure enough there is a pair of eproms soldered to the board grr! :mad:

Any thoughts on the immo coding?
You'll either have to do it the old fashioned way using VCDS if you have the needed details, take it to the dealer, or edit the 24C02 eeprom.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Thats the problem - I can't get the details from it, which is why I'm worried it's not compatible. I have the ECU and cluster powered up and communicating on the bench, so I'm going to take them to the dealer and see if they can make it work.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Thats the problem - I can't get the details from it, which is why I'm worried it's not compatible. I have the ECU and cluster powered up and communicating on the bench, so I'm going to take them to the dealer and see if they can make it work.
What're you trying to do now? And, some ECU's will display the VIN, others won't. Some of the EDC15 ones won't if the immobilizer is inactive.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Sorted now thanks :)

I took the cluster and ECU attached to the standalone harness I made in to the dealers and they sorted it. I think the cluster was expecting an EDC15 ECU to talk to, and so needed recoding to talk to the MSA15 instead. They just plugged it in to the VAS5051 which went online to Germany and fixed it automatically. Even now that its working it doesn't display the VIN, so I guess MSA15 just doesn't do that.

Only cost me £24 too. Dunno why I didn't think of this earlier!

Anyway, thanks for the help identifying what ECU it is. At least I know for tuning it :)