What secures the shift knob onto the shifter?

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
The shift knob moves freely up and down on the shifter on the 06 Jetta I just bought. When I lift the boot, I see a single use clamp ring - like used on CV Joint boots - around the lower part of the knob, but the shaft is smooth and it can move up and down freely.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I have an '09 (mk5) so it should be very similar. I have had my shift knob off. You have that crimp-on clamp that is supposed to hold the knob on tightly. The only good way to get that clamp off is to destroy it. There is a knurled part of the shifter lever which is supposed to hold the knob firm. I actually shortened my shift lever slightly and I replaced that silly (cheap) crimp-on clamp with a regular screw type hose clamp. This method might fix your problem because you can tighten it tighter than that crimp-on thing. You probably will not be able to see the knurled part of the shaft without pulling the knob off of its shaft. I would try removing the knob and using a better (different) clamp to hold it on.

Have Fun!

Don

paoutdoorsman

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys. I re-crimped the factory clamp and it is tight again for now. I'll switch to a serviceable clamp if it loosens up again. I didn't notice the knurled part on the shifter as the previous owner had it covered with electrical tape!!