What preferred Laptop suits VCDS

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
My old PC in the garage has at last expired. 😪
Served me well for several years.
Now it's time to move on to something else.
So without further ado here is my question.
What preferred Laptop suits VCDS ?
I don't need a 2K$ lap top to use primarily on my car.
A used laptop it often plagued with problems. Who would ever want "The Plague" ?
Something that will provide worry free seamless operation.
Something that is not as slow as a garden slug.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
My old PC in the garage has at last expired. 😪
Served me well for several years.
Now it's time to move on to something else.
So without further ado here is my question.
What preferred Laptop suits VCDS ?
I don't need a 2K$ lap top to use primarily on my car.
A used laptop it often plagued with problems. Who would ever want "The Plague" ?
Something that will provide worry free seamless operation.
Something that is not as slow as a garden slug.
I got a Dell XPS series factory refurbished. Works pretty well, a Lenovo Thinkpad is also a good tough option. I like the metal cased tougher laptops for vcds, as they'll hold up to the shop abuse. Honestly, you can get a decent cheap laptop on marketplace.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I use an old Dell i3 8gb windows 10 lappy. Slow as molasses, but does the trick just fine. Had an old xp laptop which worked fine until last year, when the old version of vcds crapped out and I couldnt get xp to connect to the vcds download site.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Literally any windows or mac platform
Mac requires a bit of hackery but it's not bad. Comparability mode works fine for windows 11 and 10 if you still have not done SP3.
$20 good will win 98 will work just fine.

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
From our web site:

We recommend a PC running Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 with at least 2GB of RAM (single-core Atom�-class processors are no longer recommended and devices with ARM CPUs are NOT SUPPORTED). Screen resolution of at least 800x600 is recommended.
FAQ 1.4

Pretty much any Windows laptop from the last 5 years should be fine.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i use a $400 refurb from newegg (seller EPC) - dell latitude 5480 core i5 2.66ghz quad-process 256gb ssd, 8gb ram ddr4, hd 14" screen with windows 10. pretty sweet machine for the price i think, i've had latitudes in the past and as far as i can tell, they've all been pretty solid. perhaps a little boring to computer geeks, but no complaints. happy enough i bought another one for the wife for her work. use it for VCDS and other tuning activities :D

i'm no fan of windows, but is basically required for the various tdi related software i'm using.... have been able to use some various other programs that supposedly might not work on windows 10, but they do.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Why is thos vendor making duplicate posts? We only need one!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just because.
Almost any laptop will work with proper OS and ports. Newer laptops have better battery life. I use an old Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7. Bought refurbished, I've worn out 1 hard drive, cheap to replace. One good store to shop is NewEgg.com.

krook

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 B5 AWX, A4 B5 AFN
an old refurbished thinkpad is what I use for this purpose, an x230 to be precise but any XX20 or XX30 will do you good! these are tough machines, you could run them over with your car and they'd likely work

G60'rado

TDI
1990 Corrado G60, Donor Mk4 Jetta, Donor 1994 Corrado VR6
I like using old surface or tablet style PCs for my tuning & diagnostic computers. Anything with a 5 or 6 year old core i5/i7 that runs windows or linux should be plenty.

My garage PC is an old rugged laptop from the late 2000s running windows 7. Handles getting greasy finger prints, and all the dust and dirt it is exposed to. It is getting a bit slow for reading PDF manuals, and surfing the forums, so probably look for a newer ruggedized replacement sooner than later.