What parts to replace for 01M R&R?

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
The ring gear teeth on the torque converter of my '03 NB are worn down to the point that the starter no longer engages. The trans will have to come out and the TC replaced. I've read through the 01M series by CoolAirVW and the R&R instructions on his website, and I want to make sure I get all the proper fasteners and other parts replaced.

The only ones I saw mentioned are the ones on the dogbone. Are there other ones I should replace, or any other parts I need to get on order for this? Do I need the Transmission Mount & Bracket Bolt Set from idparts, or is the dogbone bolt kit sufficient? Also, besides the triple-square (M8?) tool for the axles, any other specialty tools needed?

I don't know if the trans has ever been repaired or serviced (190k miles) so I will be replacing the trans and diff fluids. I haven't had any problems with the trans, but I want to do a thorough inspection before putting it back in.

Finally, anything in particular to look for in a replacement TC (are TDIs different than gassers?)

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
take this opportunity to swap in a manual trans ;)
I knew that would be one of the first suggestions. If it were my car, I would have bought it that way, but it's my daughter's and it's not an option. OTOH, a failed starter/ring gear wouldn't be as much of an issue if it were a manual...

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
If I were you I would just change the mount bolts.

You can change some seals if your ambitious, but I've seen a few people induce problems by trying this.

obviously you will have to add fluid so you might as well change the fluid and filter.

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
When I replaced my 01M in 2006 per the Bentley manual I replaced the following:

Ball joint to control arm
N 101 277 06 (3 each)

Transmission mount
N 102 096 03 (2 each)

Transmission support
N 905 970 01 (2 each)
N 907 076 01 (1 each)

Pendulum mount to body
N 102 683 02 (2 each)

Pendulum mount bracket
N 102 466 03 (1 each)
N 905 970 01 (1 each)

It cost me 16.36 plus 7.95 shipping from http://www.1stvwparts.com/ and they had all bolts in stock back in 2006.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
So why is this not an option???? IS Your daughter incapable of learning to drive man.

I knew that would be one of the first suggestions. If it were my car, I would have bought it that way, but it's my daughter's and it's not an option. OTOH, a failed starter/ring gear wouldn't be as much of an issue if it were a manual...
So why is this not an option???? Your daughter is incapable of learning to drive a manual trans??? Why????????

Learning to drive a manual may save her life at some point from the driving skills she will be required to learn.

I speak from close to 4 decades of teaching women and men to row their own gears. And all without exception were safer more confident drivers in anything they drive, manual or automatic.

FACT! All who today can drive a manual had no clue how disconnected they really were from their driving, to date I taught 70-80 drivers to row their own gears...

An observation from them, not me!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So why is this not an option???? Your daughter is incapable of learning to drive a manual trans??? Why????????...
Sometimes you just learn to pick your fights and this one ain't worth it. I would venture to guess that you haven't taught a woman to row her own gears when that woman was dead set against it. There is no reason why it cannot be done, but the fundamental desire on the part of the learner needs to be present in order to have a successful outcome.

I much preferred my lovely to accept a manual when contemplating a TDI, but she wouldn't have it. I decided it would be better to have her driving a TDI slushbox than her gasser Jeep in fair weather, just to save on fuel bills. It doesn't bother me much, and she's loving her New Beetle. Win-win.

Cheers,

PH

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Learning to drive a stick is about improved safety of the more connected driving

Sometimes you just learn to pick your fights and this one ain't worth it. I would venture to guess that you haven't taught a woman to row her own gears when that woman was dead set against it.

There is no reason why it cannot be done, but the fundamental desire on the part of the learner needs to be present in order to have a successful outcome.

I much preferred my lovely to accept a manual when contemplating a TDI, but she wouldn't have it. I decided it would be better to have her driving a TDI slushbox than her gasser Jeep in fair weather, just to save on fuel bills. It doesn't bother me much, and she's loving her New Beetle.

Win-win.
Cheers,
PH
Actually most of the women I have taught to row their gears were girlfriends or wives vehemently against the learning. But a manual trans vehicle was their only option to drive. So they all learned, sometimes(many times) kicking and screaming they could not do it.

But in the end they did learn and were all more confident safer drivers for the effort they did not want to give!

By the way, my current wife was forced to learn to drive a manual because at the time that was all I had when she would visit. Many girlfriends and 3 wives now have all learned while they made their objections to exercise known to me & who ever else was within ear shot while they were learning.....

My current future ex-wife,LOL 6+ years ago went through the learning to row her own gears while voicing her strong objections to the exercise....

Now she happily is so much safer and many more times engaged in driving in a fuel efficient manor when she drives my manual VW's and her automatic Corolla.......

She gets on average 4-7 more mpgs in what ever she drives now, automatic or manual. That is because from the learning she now has an understanding of what is actually going on in what she is driving in relation to speed, braking and proper gear selection! She also uses N now, she actually understands what N is in a vehicle.

Today without thought she shifts into N in the Corolla at stop lights and coming up to a stop. It is night and day compared to how disconnected she was from the actual driving before. Before learning to row her own gears she was the worst of the peddle pushers. Always over accelerating just to slam on the brakes. Before with her disconnected driving just putting the thing in D and not giving driving a second thought going through brake pads at a ridiculous manor.

Compared to today with her using the gears to slow and stop, shifting into and out of N rolling using the terrain as fuel....In the Corolla when she was a peddle pusher she went for high teens(17-19mpgs) as a peddle pusher to today approaching 30 mpgs with her shifting down to slow and using N appropriately running around town city only driving!

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
If I were you I would just change the mount bolts.

You can change some seals if your ambitious, but I've seen a few people induce problems by trying this.

obviously you will have to add fluid so you might as well change the fluid and filter.
Trans fluid and filter, and diff fluid, definitely. Based on the color of the trans fluid, I don't think this thing has been serviced for a while, if ever.

I thought I'd change the TC seal due to the age and mileage, and it's easy and cheap at this point. I really didn't want to go much deeper than that.

My biggest concern is putting a trans with 190k+ miles back in the car without some sort of inspection. I know you've mentioned that the valve bodies on these are prone to wear. Is that something I can check, or would it have to be sent in for that?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
So why is this not an option???? Your daughter is incapable of learning to drive a manual trans??? Why????????

Learning to drive a manual may save her life at some point from the driving skills she will be required to learn.

I speak from close to 4 decades of teaching women and men to row their own gears. And all without exception were safer more confident drivers in anything they drive, manual or automatic.

FACT! All who today can drive a manual had no clue how disconnected they really were from their driving, to date I taught 70-80 drivers to row their own gears...

An observation from them, not me!
I agree, unless there is a physical impediment, learning to drive a manual trans helps to make drivers more aware and connected to the driving experience.

My case in point - my daughter learned to drive in her 02 Jetta TDI with 01m. After she had 3 months of driving on her own, I swapped the 01m with a 02j 5 speed. I bought a beater MKIV Jetta gasser 5 speed to teach her to drive a stick without the benefit of the torque of the TDI. Once she was comfy driving the gasser, I put her back into her TDI with its fresh new 02j. One benefit from a parental standpoint is it is pretty difficult to text and drive and shift all at the same time.

Fast forward, now she is in college and I am building her a B5.5 5 speed manual sedan. I sold her Jetta and she is driving my 04 BEW/09A auto in the interim. She has complained several times about how she misses the "control" her 5 speed gave her and how it is too easy to speed in the auto because of less feedback. She says its amazing how few of her sorority sisters know how to drive a stick. She never has had anyone ask to loan the car to them :)

My wife's first car was a Porsche 914, and she also prefers driving a manual trans. Her toy is an all original '29 Ford Model A, she is quite good at double clutching and rev matching :p

Last edited: