What other cars have you DRIVEN as you consider replacement?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I test drove a Chevy Spark EV up in Maryland last night. That thing was a total tire-shredding hot hatch. Dinky little car, reasonable size for two big people in the front, very good infotainment, and a ton of torque! :eek:

Seriously, the torque was ridiculous. Put it in sport mode and just breathing on the accelerator pedal makes the front tires scream, even at 40 MPH. The roads were wet, and the torque steer was the name of the game. That said, it was a nice little car and a lot of fun. It actually competes with a tuned TDI in the torque category, and 35-70 MPH acceleration was excellent.

It's a very tempting package for about $11,500 after the federal tax credit (for new old stock). The only problem is that dealers are only allowed to sell them in California, Oregon, and Maryland. They only make enough of them to get their ZEV credits, so out-of-state buyers have to get very creative and find someone in one of those states to share their address on the title. :(

82 mile EPA range, and CCS/SAE DC fast charging capable.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
If it wasn't for the HPFP worries, I'd probably be thinking the same thing. I've thought about getting the CP3 pump, but I couldn't do it myself so it's just too much to really consider. I'm also pretty sure I'll be happy in a new MKVII GTI, except that it will cost quite a bit of money to make the change even with the extra cash from VW.
If you can stand to wait for the fix/restitution payment you could always get the pump done then. Personally if I end up keeping Fritz after a fix, first thing I'm doing is ordering 2Micron kits and a timing belt. If the pump blows after that, my fuel system will be saved from HPFP bits and I'll throw the C3 pump in at that point.

Otherwise, Its a Subaru Crosstrek for me.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Well I made the decision today... I'm going to take the wife's tsi Passat as my replacement and I bought her a new ride today ... Gonna drive the TDI till the day but went ahead with a Ford F150 for her (and mine too) ride...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Test drove a Mk7 Golf R. Simply an amazing car that really needs no introduction. I loved everything about it. But then I saw the MPG both on the sticker and in actual driving (my dealer let me take it out for 90 min drive that comprised all sorts of driving conditions around the county) - granted I know there is a lot more power being made and that takes fuel. I love getting 45mpg and still have lots of low end torque to play with. The current price a new R is a little more then I would want to spend so I would look at a CPO Mk6 R.

Ultimately I plan on keeping my Mk6 Golf. I'm very happy with the mods I've made to it and gives me the power, MPG, and fun factor I'm looking for. Plus I may be moving further away from work in the next year and MPG is really important to me. Let's be honest - I probably would get into way too much trouble with all the R horsepower lol. The deal would have to be really really good on an R to get me out my tdi but I would keep an open mind to it.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Not sure what I will do, but I was thinking about taking the fix, and possibly getting 2micron's cp.3 pump kit, a tune and rawtek exhaust with the money.
No HPFP, DPF, and intercooler icing to worry about after those mods.

I do have a possibility of buying a female friend's 2013 R with 16K miles on it, since she is pregnant and looking at another car for her expanding family. I may take the buyback, if this is offered to me.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
Has anyone considered the Audi Sportback e tron? Basically twice what I'd get for my buyback, but it would be a nice down payment. Probably wouldn't get one otherwise since I'm not going to have a $22k down payment.

My other consideration is a gasser GSW. Yeah, the mileage will be less, but I like lots of other things about the car/body style, and I'd basically get it for free.

Might look at Prius. Volt is intriguing, but I'd miss the cargo capacity, and it's about the same price as the Audi. Also might look at the RAV4 Hybrid.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Drove a 2016 Mini Clubman 6MT base model on Sunday. It is no JSW in terms of capacity, but it was quite pleasant. Will return to have the wife drive it and do the full 2-car seat test (only had one offspring with me on my test drive).

Plan on also driving a 6MT MK7 GTI, and a 6MT Jeep Renegade. Wrangler Unlimited is on the list - no need to test drive that though as we had a 2011 model for a while.

Would prefer to not toss VW any more $ at this point, but if they incentivize the heck out of a 6MT GTI SE, we could be swayed by their filthy lucre.

Saw the order sheets for the 2017 GSW, and that the 6MT AWD S (not Alltrack, GSW) had some niceties thrown in over the regular S. However, I don't really want to wait for one to become available (as well as still not wanting to give VW any more $).

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
My buyback comes to $25k and I test drove a 2016 GTI last month and was very impressed. No wonder it is a perineal top 10 award winner. The new MQB platform really is nice. Little to no torque steer and a great diff. My Golf TDI has a stage 2 Malone Tune and the GTI just blows it away accelerating.

I liked it so much I placed an order for a 2017 GTI 4 door DSG with Performance Pack and Lighting Package. If VW offers decent incentives to keep TDI owners in a VW, I may have to only pay a little out of pocket. Delivery is set for November. It may get 10 MPG less than my TDI but diesel cost a dollar more per gallon here anyway.

I'm probably going to buy a used Touareg 3.0 TDI in the near future so I'll have a TDI in my garage too.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Drove a 2016 TSI passat the last couple days with the auto cruise control. Nice car. Quick and I think it was getting better than 30 mpg.

That cruise control, that slows you down when traffic is in front of you then resumes speed, is pretty cool but also bothersome. I only drove the car about 76 miles and it wrongly slowed me (sometimes fairly hard) four times.

First time a motorcycle turning right out of my lane in moderate traffic. When I saw the bike clearing the lane I hit resume. I could see the lane was opening but the car didn't recognize that and braked kinda firmly. Made me nervous that I could get rear ended.

Car did it again about 10 minutes later with a car on the otherwise empty road getting out from in front of me by turning left. I saw the lane opening but the car wanted to slow down.

And again this morning with a bicycle that crossed my path. These incidents are not good and annoying but I still think this could be a great feature for those rare occasions when you don't notice the car in from of you slowing down.

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
Drove a 2016 TSI passat the last couple days with the auto cruise control. Nice car. Quick and I think it was getting better than 30 mpg.

That cruise control, that slows you down when traffic is in front of you then resumes speed, is pretty cool but also bothersome. I only drove the car about 76 miles and it wrongly slowed me (sometimes fairly hard) four times.

First time a motorcycle turning right out of my lane in moderate traffic. When I saw the bike clearing the lane I hit resume. I could see the lane was opening but the car didn't recognize that and braked kinda firmly. Made me nervous that I could get rear ended.

Car did it again about 10 minutes later with a car on the otherwise empty road getting out from in front of me by turning left. I saw the lane opening but the car wanted to slow down.

And again this morning with a bicycle that crossed my path. These incidents are not good and annoying but I still think this could be a great feature for those rare occasions when you don't notice the car in from of you slowing down.
Unsettling, to say the least. Did I read somewhere that the sensitivity was adjustable?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I think so. You can adjust the following distance I believe. That may be the same as sensitivity. I consider myself a defensive cautious driver but perhaps I am a little too "plucky" when I go around turning cars? Anyway I didn't get to learn the system well since this was just a loaner car while mine was in the shop.

obie84

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Sportwagen
Looking at the same choices...

Has anyone considered the Audi Sportback e tron? Basically twice what I'd get for my buyback, but it would be a nice down payment. Probably wouldn't get one otherwise since I'm not going to have a $22k down payment.

My other consideration is a gasser GSW. Yeah, the mileage will be less, but I like lots of other things about the car/body style, and I'd basically get it for free.

Might look at Prius. Volt is intriguing, but I'd miss the cargo capacity, and it's about the same price as the Audi. Also might look at the RAV4 Hybrid.
I'm looking at the Prius again too. It was my runner-up when I decided on the GSW back in 2010. Probably will look at models just prior to the current one.

Toyota seems to be going backwards aesthetically; each Prius revision seems uglier than the one before. What is it with the Japanese and their obsession with Buck Rogers style headlights and turn signals !!!
Still, the Prius hatchback and luggage space are pretty good. The Prius C looks nicer, but a little too weak under the hood for me.

I've considered a later model VW s/w or sedan, but nothing with that crappy 2.5 liter 5-cyl gasser in it. Same feelings as you about giving a VW dealer my buyback money, but I do love the comfort and interior of my good old JSW. Plus the instruments and controls are just right. Maybe I need to overcome my addiction to VW styling, lest I get stuck with another problem car.:confused:

And don't even get me started on that nightmare pano sunroof. I paid $1200 for that boondoggle last time around.:mad: At least they threw in a little cash for that option in the buyback calculator!:eek:

Last edited:

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
I'm looking at the Prius again too. It was my runner-up when I decided on the GSW back in 2010. Probably will look at models just prior to the current one.
Toyota seems to be going backwards aesthetically; each Prius revision seems uglier than the one before. What is it with the Japanese and their obsession with Buck Rogers style headlights and turn signals !!!
Still, the Prius hatchback and luggage space are pretty good. The Prius C looks nicer, but a little too weak under the hood for me....
We ruled out the previous Prii models due to their numb handling, cramped passenger space and small trunk. The V solves the trunk space issue and I read that, with the addition of IRS, the handling is much better on the currrent models, so we'll take another look too. That said, it's hard to associate one's self with the way the majority of Prius drivers operate their cars. I mean, really...how many of them are actually "driven"? :cool:
Different price category for sure but the new Accord Hybrid looks promising.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree that the new prius styling is ugly. I am considering it though because of it's other points like mpg and dependable etc

radoroc

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
My buyback comes to $25k and I test drove a 2016 GTI last month and was very impressed. No wonder it is a perineal top 10 award winner. The new MQB platform really is nice. Little to no torque steer and a great diff. My Golf TDI has a stage 2 Malone Tune and the GTI just blows it away accelerating.

I liked it so much I placed an order for a 2017 GTI 4 door DSG with Performance Pack and Lighting Package. If VW offers decent incentives to keep TDI owners in a VW, I may have to only pay a little out of pocket. Delivery is set for November. It may get 10 MPG less than my TDI but diesel cost a dollar more per gallon here anyway.

I'm probably going to buy a used Touareg 3.0 TDI in the near future so I'll have a TDI in my garage too.
I'm surprised by this. I have driven 1.8t's and vr6's and they all felt slow, but I haven't driven the mk7 gti. I'm also full stage 2, and the gti having quite a bit less torque, I would assume it wouldn't have the same low end/mid range grunt, but maybe I'm wrong.

If we don't get screwed over up here, I was initially planning on doing a buyback and getting a gti, but I was afraid that it would feel sluggish in daily driving, I'm sure it's a bit quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile though in stock form.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I'm surprised by this. I have driven 1.8t's and vr6's and they all felt slow, but I haven't driven the mk7 gti. I'm also full stage 2, and the gti having quite a bit less torque, I would assume it wouldn't have the same low end/mid range grunt, but maybe I'm wrong.
If we don't get screwed over up here, I was initially planning on doing a buyback and getting a gti, but I was afraid that it would feel sluggish in daily driving, I'm sure it's a bit quicker 0-60 and 1/4 mile though in stock form.
VW under rates both HP and torque on the GTI. The MKVII GTI is rated at 220 HP and 258 ft lb torque when most dyno at around 235 HP and 275 torque at the wheels. The torque is available at low rpm too. Stock 0-60 tested at 5.6 seconds and 14.2 seconds 1/4 mile. Faster than stage 2 TDI by quite a bit.

Plus a piggyback box like JB1 will increase HP and torque by 40.

Last edited:

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
So, coming from a different angle on this I just bought a 2016 Jetta Sport. I will park or lightly use my 2011 Golf until November and the buyback happens. Reasoning for this is that at 60+ year old, I don't drive it like I stole it anymore and the Jetta Sport is plenty good enough and I got a great deal. Excluding sales tax, title and plates, it will cost me $500 plus my buyback check. Not bad for almost 6 years and 80k miles of use on the Golf.

drshaws

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW TDI 6MT
Last night drove the 2016 Renegade 6MT with the 1.4T motor.

Roominess inside the cabin was actually quite nice. My wife and 2 kids (one in a booster) fit pretty comfortably in the back seat. High ceiling made it feel more airy.

It, well, performed like an average car. Getting up to speed was average at best. But, it is a somewhat heavier vehicle (for its size) toting around a full time 4WD system (not in use to boot, since in 'Auto' mode it's basically FWD until needed).

Of course, finding one to drive that has the options we'd want is a needle in the haystack (6MT, MySky roof, etc.), but we may still try.

Basically, I think we're at the point deciding between the Renegade (4WD, removable roof) vs. the GTI (comfort, performance).

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Being that a true three pedal manual is a must, i tested a WRX and a Mazda 3 S Grand touring.

I hate trolling though CL / Ebay and the like looking for a manual and finding "floppy paddles" as Jeremy Clarkson calls them, so the pickings are small. (there should be a law against advertising something as a manual when it's not!)

For the money and what you get, the WRX is fantastic. Tons of power, all the latest electronic wizardry etc, I still am not comfortable with the millennial/hooligan persona of the vehicle. I don't want to be pulled over every 5 minutes by local LEO's and have them have me drive off with a specious warning once they see my gray hair. I also don't need all that power accompanied by the premium gas need.

As for the Mazda; It's a FANTASTIC CAR... for the money. It drives nice and for $6,000 less than the Subbie I'm not sure i can do without the european feel of the VW. For as good as the interior is, the drivability and the Mazda reliability I'm not sure i can live with it. I sold a 2012 Outback XT after 6 months because i couldn't take the utilitarian feel. Yes, i regret selling it now, considering.

I'd LOVE a loaded out Golf TSI but I also have to have a sunroof, so out goes the manual transmission.

My wife, kids and friends are really sick of my vocalized quandary as to what to do next!

I'm really confused!
Take the restitution and keep it. Tell yer wife and kids. Done. If EPA mandated mods take some wind out of it, spend part of the restitution on a Revo or Malone tune. Heck, I've gotten a new set of Contis for 90 bucks using my good faith credit card, and can't wait to get the "fix" and take my restitution. YeeHaw! Free money. Makes my 2014 JSW effectively cost me under $20k and barely broken in!

From all the doom and gloom around here, ya'd think folks were gonna be forced to take the buyback, complaining about the loser alternatives they might have to settle for when they have to give back their TDI. Gee.

By the way- The only thing I actually DROVE was an Ecodiesel RAM truck last month. Nice, but I would be back in debt, and I already have a truck for those occaisional jobs hauling or moving something (1983 SR4 4x4, 5MT, dual range transfer case- original engine with 236k miles on it!). And the JSW is more fun to drive anyway.

Last edited:

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
have not test driven any yet, but as of today (150,700 miles on my TDI and TURBO just went, so i think i'll let it sit till i can drive it into the dealership for buyback)

but will be looking at:
Subaru Outback
VW GOLF Wagon 4motion

maybe CPO:
Volvo V60XC
BMW X1

for next vehicle NEED more ground clearance, want AWD, would like MANUAL

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
Hope no one will get upset, but this is definitely a matter of personal opinion, so don't beat me up.

1. CPO Toyota Avalon--Wife liked it, but doesn't have her heart set on it.
2. New Mazda 6--Manual removes all the cool stuff like lighting and sunroof, so we may end up with an automatic touring trim model.

Can't think of anything else, if they settled the V6 TDI case a used A6 TDI was in the running but it's not looking good for this option...
Update as of last week 8/11:
Wife came to the conclusion that she wants a loaded Hyundai Sonata, 2.4l (I don't think the gas turbo will last as long) they're really nice cars, and I'm sure we'll get many miles from it. We drive our cars 'til the wheels fall off, so hopefully it will work for us. We would have loved to jump into a 2016 Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but sadly VW hasn't even tried to certify any new TDI's and this will hurt them, badly.

Biggu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW PANA/ NAV
Ive looked at 2012-14 Audi Allroad and 2013-14 Lexus GS 350 F sport and Im really considering the GS 350.

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure wish VW sold the (U.S.) SportWagen Limited Edition and SE trims with the 6-Speed Manual. With the TDI off the market, I'd have guessed that VW would have stepped up with a higher trim gasoline-powered SportWagen with the 6-Speed stick. The S Trim offers a 5-Speed manual, but with a less luxurious interior.

We'll likely look at the Subaru Forester, Mazda3, Madza5 and Honda HR-V.

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
Seriously looking at a new All-Track Sportwagen.
Man, if they threw a diesel into a wagon WITH the 4-Motion - that would be the cat's meow as far as a vehicle for me would be concerned!

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
2015 Tacoma 4x4 manual
2016 Tacoma 4x4 (new engine/tranny combo is a bit gutless) Manual is better than auto
2014 VW CC Executive 2.0 TSI (manual, sports are rare but out there)
2014 Subaru Outback (can't get past the numbness in handling, otherwise a good car)
2013-2014 Audi Allroad 2.0 TSI

May wait and try the 2017 Golf Sportrack.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Outback test drive scheduled for Saturday.
i'm in Denver and drive to the mountains weekly so i'm a bit concerned by hp/tq numbers of Outback.
so i specifically asked for extended test drive from Denver up to and over Loverland Pass (not the tunnel, but over rt.6 and over the pass at 11,991' elevation)
we'll see how it handles w/ me + mrs in the car going up long inclines.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Outback test drive scheduled for Saturday.
i'm in Denver and drive to the mountains weekly so i'm a bit concerned by hp/tq numbers of Outback.
so i specifically asked for extended test drive from Denver up to and over Loverland Pass (not the tunnel, but over rt.6 and over the pass at 11,991' elevation)
we'll see how it handles w/ me + mrs in the car going up long inclines.
Your best bet is a turbocharged car since they don't have quite the performance decline of a NA car.