What Motivates You To Take Your Buy Back Sooner?.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Pardon me if this is old news... we get more money if we hold onto the car longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It really depends on your situation. If you park the car and wait until end of 2018, it is not unlikely you'd get more than you would if you returned it today. But you might not, depending on lots of factors. If you drive a lot, you might get less.
best thing to do is to pull up one of the buyback calculators and play with the numbers.

Jazzocaster

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
2014 Jetta here with just about 80K miles on it. I love the car but when I bought it I was driving 110 miles round trip to get to work and living in the suburbs. I now live in the city. I no longer drive to work or really at all except for a couple road trips a year or for the occasional errand.

The car still has the original tires and brakes. Although they are in decent condition the fact that they will need to be replaced soon and the upcoming 80k/DSG service make it a no brainer.

My buyback is a week and a half away but I will definitely be sad to see it go. :(

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The new furniture sitting in the master bedroom!

In reality, it is the fact that her car is five years old with a little over 50K miles on it and VW is offering about what we paid for it new. At this point, it would be stupid to walk away from the money.

JerryInOCMD

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I have an offer for 19K from VW in my hands for my wife's 2011 TDI SportWagen. I currently have a dead horn, and had an issue with flashing glow plug indicator w/ CEL, and some turbo related codes. Took car to VW, they cleared codes, and said everything checks out fine. Just made a 600 mile trip the other day, and car drove perfectly.

Only issue I have is giving up gas mileage, and the fact that my wife only wants another Sportwagen (she loves the car). Our car is fully loaded, and she won't even consider downgrading to the Golf SportWagen S (with ugly wheels, cloth seats, etc). Seriously considering taking the 5K VW is offering us to keep the car, setting it aside for possible repairs, and driving the car until it dies...I don't want to use the buyback as an excuse to go deeper into debt to buy something newer that we don't need.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Now that the buy back pipe line is filling, and a number of forum members are executing their sell back to VW, I'm wondering why there is such a rush.
The offer extends well into 2018, and as for myself My choice is to use up my 2012 Passat's presently dependable operation and tires, while enjoying a minimal depreciation and enjoying a mpg that will be difficult to replace. I've grown to really like this roomy car with decent power and mpg.
I realize some cars are ready to get replaced due to condition and personal situations, but what I'm after here in this thread is an understanding why some folks are compelled to act sooner rather than later when the vehicle they're driving is still a good car.
Thanks.
Life experience tells me to do it now and move on. CARPE DIEM

flyslow

TDI
2013 passat tdi
I inherited a car in January 2016. I did not need two cars, and with the settlement offer that VW made, it became an easy decision and it was made last spring even before all details of the settlement were finalized.

I could not sell either car for what I got from VW so I was rather happy pursuing and getting an early turn in date.

When the time comes for a new vehicle, I will still consider VW when shopping for a replacement.

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I have a number of reasons, but my initial thought was to drive until the end too. I am at or below the average miles to gain or at least not lose ground. That said, a few things changed my mind. First, the engine sounds horrible and doesn't feel normal when driving. Second, I need maintenance, brakes, and I suspect a few other major things soon. Third, when I started researching/test driving I realized how, even though I liked the car/mileage, it really is a loud and rough driving car. Fourth, kinda just want to move beyond it. Fifth, while I'll miss the mileage, when I bought I averaged about 150 miles per day for work. Now, I drive less than 20 round trip.

I actually bought my replacement today at a dealership 60 miles from my house. The drive to the dealership compared to home in my new car were night and day, and the comparison wasn't good for VW (but I did upgrade to a more "luxurious" car too, so that's part of it).

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
1. Passat no longer had the MPG then before the required ECM update.

2. Wife hated the Passat - wouldn't even drive it.

3. VW offer was financially too good to pass up.

4. Great deal on the new car. And new car was less expensive to run.

5. VW ended up giving me more than the new (to me) 2015 Lincoln MKZ cost!

MB2VW

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL,
God knows I tried...

I tried to hold out. I really did.

When I started this thread, I was curious why people did the sell back sooner rather than later. I would be amiss if I didn't follow up with my situation.

I run the car doing field service in the state of Florida. I wanted to wait unit 2018 to sell it back, and replace the car.

My new purchase was painted into the following corner:

1. I drive into Miami from Ft. Lauderdale, too many day's per week. It's an exceptionally crappy drive. TO add to the misery, the DOT has poled of the HOV lanes, and deemed them toll lanes. The toll in and out of Miami can exceed over $10 per trip, depending on the time of day. Driving in the pauper lanes is now bottle necked even more now, and adds 20 minutes to an already wonderful experience. If you have a car that qualifies for as a EPA Smartway car. (think hybrid) you can register the car for a HOV sticker and an expeption to the toll. What most folks don't realize the EPA smart way designation also applies to lower emission vehicles. Well, the 2016 VW Passat 1.8 TSI qualifies, BUT the 2017 doesn't. Same car, different rules for 2017 model year. It's the largest car that falls into that deal.

2. I come to find out that the 2016 Passat was the first year that provided the Drivers Assist Package. (semi auto pilot).

3. I found the last 2016 SEL Premium left over in South Florida. I wanted to get into a new unit, vs a used unit next year.

Hook line and sinker. I'm in the new car. One month into it I'm up to 4600 miles. I do wish I could have gotten the car with the TDI, as that would be freaking awesome. I missed the torque. I did do a APR tune on the car, and it really did the trick. The car is much more fun to drive.

As for the 2012 Passat TDI SE, my business partner is running it. I'll keep it around until it no longer makes sense to do so.

I tried, but what can I say....

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
1. Passat no longer had the MPG then before the required ECM update.

2. Wife hated the Passat - wouldn't even drive it.

3. VW offer was financially too good to pass up.

4. Great deal on the new car. And new car was less expensive to run.

5. VW ended up giving me more than the new (to me) 2015 Lincoln MKZ cost!
If you were submitting that list for approval by the Chief of Reasons, I'd line out everything but #2 and write "gud enuf."