What kind of EGT probe for a Malone 3.5 CR tune?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just trying to get an idea what y'all use for an EGT probe and pyrometer for a Malone Stage 3 or 3.5 tune. Finally upgraded to the Stage 3.5 on my CR JSW, but I don't do crazy hard accelerations for a long time, as I don't have an EGT probe/gauge yet. It seems I'm having a hard time finding out what I need, and my tuner is also stumped...

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
It depends on what turbo you are running. I assume the stage3 is only offered for the gtb2260vk size, so egt wouldn't really be an issue. Otherwise any (CR140 )stage 3 tune would easily pop the oem BW turbo at 30+psi.

If your pump and injectors are oem, they saturate at 225hp and the 2260 would not be a problem w/egts.

I always put the probe in pre-turbo. Anywhere else is a waste of time.

Are you trailering or in higher elevations >5k'? or racing/rallying??

Better yet what are you max cylinder pressures in measuring blocks 141? Anything under 200bar is only about 180hp is not a problem. sounds like a mean jsw

Jeff ;-))

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
It depends on what turbo you are running. I assume the stage3 is only offered for the gtb2260vk size, so egt wouldn't really be an issue. Otherwise any (CR140 )stage 3 tune would easily pop the oem BW turbo at 30+psi.

If your pump and injectors are oem, they saturate at 225hp and the 2260 would not be a problem w/egts.

I always put the probe in pre-turbo. Anywhere else is a waste of time.

Are you trailering or in higher elevations >5k'? or racing/rallying??

Better yet what are you max cylinder pressures in measuring blocks 141? Anything under 200bar is only about 180hp is not a problem. sounds like a mean jsw

Jeff ;-))
Excellent questions Jeff. I'll have to check one of these days. Already put in 1100 miles this week and pulling a partial all nighter due to a goat about to go in labor, so I doubt I'll check the cylinder pressures this week.

My elevation is about 1500-ish. My travels take me between 800 and 1800. No racing/rallying, but I do roll coal at least several times on each trip; I just don't keep it that way for long obviously.

Pump and injectors are OEM; when I do my next TB, I'm fixing to put in a CP3.

My turbo is the CR170, so I don't know if that's the 2260 you referenced?

I was also told as well that the probe goes pre-turbo. I can read EGTs post-turbo through PolarFIS, but it's obviously not that helpful. When I still had the Stage 3, the highest EGTs I would see were around 1700, but again, only for a short sprint; I wouldn't keep it that way, so 700-1200 is pretty average for me.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The stock cr140 turbo for the CJAA/CBEA is the Borg Warner BV43b. The cr170 turbo for those motors is the Borg Warner BV43a. It is marginally larger. The Garrett gtb2260vk is much larger. The larger turbo can flow more without heating up the charge air so much. The higher flow rate of the 2260 reduces egt /emp considerably.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Now I'm wishing I got that larger turbo. Is there any noticeable turbo lag? And could it theoretically be a drop-in replacement with my 3.5 tune?

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
The GTB2260 is currently not a drop in for anyone. You need a tubular manifold from darkside developments. Malone is working on a cast block manifold that would make the gtb series turbos drop in replacements. Honestly unless you have DSG trans, you can't go any bigger with the turbo without going SMF and that's just a whole other can of worms right now.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Water heater or furnace thermocouple is K-type, cheap, and plenty durable.

Most every gauge uses k-type, in fact I haven't heard of one that doesn't.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The GTB2260 is currently not a drop in for anyone. You need a tubular manifold from darkside developments. Malone is working on a cast block manifold that would make the gtb series turbos drop in replacements. Honestly unless you have DSG trans, you can't go any bigger with the turbo without going SMF and that's just a whole other can of worms right now.
I do have DSG actually. I'm thinking if I replaced my CR170 when I get to the 300K mark (at a rate of 30-40K a year), there should be something in place by then that's tried and proven.

But the CR170 turbo isn't a bad turbo compared to stock, right?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Water heater or furnace thermocouple is K-type, cheap, and plenty durable.

Most every gauge uses k-type, in fact I haven't heard of one that doesn't.
So whatever pyrometer I buy should have a k-type thermocouple that I can have my tuner install for me?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
So whatever pyrometer I buy should have a k-type thermocouple that I can have my tuner install for me?
Oh, yeah.

In that case just buy a decent brand one with the thermocouple included.