What is your top speed?

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
No man I'm in the garage shinning the Magnum, and enjoying the smell of cleaning materials. :rolleyes:

Damn I love this car, sure hope the diesel version comes to US in '07 like the rumors say. I'll give this one to the daughter and get me another one, This car out rides and handles a Passat with ease even in the base model.

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
I had the speedo on my 98 Jetta reading 125mph for about 20 seconds one time. It was smooth as silk. Last summer a coworker and I drove up to Chicago from Louisville for a trade show and came back the same day. Needless to say, we were in a hurry to get back and I got nailed doing 90 on I-65 about 70 miles south of Indy. When the cop was asking were we were going and were had we been etc. he said "Have you been driving 90 all the way from Chicago?" I truthfully answered 'No sir". For most of the trip I was pushing the high side of 100. They let me attend Traffic school. It cost me $75 with no points on my license and no record of the citation was sent to my home state.

bradfa

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs anymore :(
bigtom111 said:
When the cop was asking were we were going and were had we been etc. he said "Have you been driving 90 all the way from Chicago?" I truthfully answered 'No sir". For most of the trip I was pushing the high side of 100.
:D I like it!

Evan Sussman

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS
127 in my Honda Odyssey minivan
(that ****er was fast, and it handled well for a van)
116 '04 Jetta GLS Stock

Speedo speeds keep you in mind

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
I was able to get 115mph out of a TDI Sharan. This was with 4 people and running the AC. It would run that speed in 5th and 6th. 6th was just quieter.

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI 5-Speed, Reflex Silver
i hit 115mph in morning traffic a few days ago. i meant to check the tach reading but i was too busy watching for blinkers in the middle lane. i was showing a new gti that had been tailgating me my "fast"

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
It's just as much about the smoothness at high speed as the actual speed, this is where the Jetta's european and german heritage shines. The jetta could cruise at 100 mph all day long...as someone in this thread has mentioned...it seems so happy at 90-105 mph.

Japenese and American cars can go 120, but don't ask me to ride along:D

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
[quote=bigtom111 "Have you been driving 90 all the way from Chicago?" I truthfully answered 'No sir". For most of the trip I was pushing the high side of 100.

Probably a good stance to take.Cops hate it when you lie,and they will tend to throw the book at you if they know that you are lying.They seem to have finely tuned B.S. detectors from their years of experience...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
eb2143 said:
It's just as much about the smoothness at high speed as the actual speed, this is where the Jetta's european and german heritage shines. The jetta could cruise at 100 mph all day long...as someone in this thread has mentioned...it seems so happy at 90-105 mph.

Japenese and American cars can go 120, but don't ask me to ride along:D
Yeah I know what you mean.. My Jetta is perfectly happy at 100mph.. My camaro is also happy at 100mph, but it feels like well over 100 in the camaro, feels like about 65-70 in the Jetta.. I think the 20 year difference has a lot to do with it because the newer cars in general feel so much better at high speeds compared with the older cars..

Lgood

TDI
2009 Audi A5 S-Line
I was travelling south homeward from the Alberta tar sands in Ft MacMurray when I tested out my top speed. My 2002 Jetta TDI with no mods at all hit 200Km/h, at which I had room left on the pedal (not much) and the ride was remarkably stable. Maybe not quite as stable as my buddie's CLK430 at 220Km/h or my wife's G35 coupe but pretty good. For those of you not with the rest of the world yet.
200 Km/h = 124 miles/h

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Lgood said:
For those of you not with the rest of the world yet.
LOL... I wish we in the US used the SI system...

But, we're all hardwired for the duhmurikan systems, and won't learn the SI stuff. :rolleyes:

fallingwindows

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen
My Garmin GPS tells me the top speed of my Jetta TDI is 300mph. So never trust an instantaneous reading on a GPS, or the "Top speed" field either. It's only accurate if it's allowed to settle.

Speedo indicated 135mph with Upsolute Stage I and VNT 17.

Lasered at 117mph uphill :( Trooper was very nice, though - dropped it down to 86 in a 65 so he wouldn't have to arrest me! Empty highway in NYS.

anony13

TDI
2001 Jetta Black.
TDIJetta99 said:
I think the 20 year difference has a lot to do with it because the newer cars in general feel so much better at high speeds compared with the older cars..
I had my A2 (92 Jetta) up to 117 mph on 70 between Indy and Terre Haute. As smooth as it could be. I think the differenc you're noticing is the difference between US and German cars :)

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I guess it kinda depends on the condition of the car as well.. German cars in general seem to feel remarkably solid at high speeds regardless of the year, but the newer American cars feel just fine too.. Keep in mind my Camaro is a 1981 with a completely stock suspension and a heavy big block.. The suspension design of the 2nd generation camaro pretty much sucked compared to anything european, hell it even sucked compared to the 3rd gen camaro..

Also on a side note, I cleaned out my intake, intercooler, and VNT mechanism today.. All I can say is holy crap! It'll pull to just about 140 and it runs out of oomph.. It was only at about 4300rpm, so I should be able to go a little more with the PP520/RC3... Just waiting on the injectors before I send the computer to Jeff...

WDM

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Mk IV Wagon/2005/Reflex Silver
I can get mine to 185kph (110+mph) easily with a tad left to go. These cars are a blast between 60mph & 100mph.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
140 on the speedo, with another 10+ to go. I bottled it after it started making "my areodynamics didn't want me to go this quick" whistling noises.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
Full throttle on my R1 gave me a blurry visioned 162mph on the remote streets of Southern AZ. In my TDI, I only did a brief spurt of 90 to 95mph while passing a car.

Kayakkermit

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2002, Silver
My wife had our 11 year old put our 2 year old into the car back in late March one morning before she went to drop the little guy off at daycare, and after he strapped the baby into his car seat, he dropped the keys on the front seat and closed the door..... and somehow the doors locked.
I have the spare key, and was at work..... 7 in the morning, 56 km's away.
I made it from work to home and back in less then an hour, saw 205kph for part of the trip, not sure it was out of steam actually, and the car was still handling great.
This is an '01 Jetta TDI, automatic, with .187's.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I drove my 2001 Golf TDI for 60miles having cruise control set 100mph at night thru all kind of road conditions bumps, sharp turns. I notice the faster you go on this cars the better ride quality is:). After passing few cars I notice couple miles behind someone was trying to keep up with me, I petty sure it was a cop, cuz when I slowed down to take different highway I saw two cop cars at gas station
. That was the longest stable high speed I done. My top speed was 115mph. The sad part of the drive was when I got home I had to replace oil pipe that feed the turbo with oil, due to defect in soldering $50:mad:.

90hpisntenough

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
121mph...

I have a 1999.5 Jetta TDI, completely stock. I took it down the interstate and hit 121 MPH. When this is done a lot of time is required to make it there, but I think it's pretty impresive for a car with 90HP...how many cars do you know of that can reach a figure on their speedo that exceeds their HP????

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I could get my '78 Rabbit Diesel to 90 w/o a lot of trouble, but with a lot of noise. It was a 4-speed so at that point it was pretty much out of gears. It really didn't like to cruise at anything above about 70.