What is your Prefered/Favorite Full Synth Engine Oil?

The oil you buy for your engine:

• Mobil Delvac 1, 5w40

Votes: 68 22.0%
  • Chevron Delo 400, 5w40

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Shell Rotella T

Votes: 98 31.7%
  • Amsoil Series 3000, 5w30

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Amsoil High Performance, 10w40

Votes: 8 2.6%
  • Amsoil semi-synthetic 15w40

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Redline, synthetic version

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Others, please explain...

Votes: 134 43.4%

• Total voters

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
I don't think anyone is using the RL 5w-40 in a TDI - why don't you be the first? If it's using a CI-4+ additive chemistry, it's fine for your 1998 TDI engine. With a TBN of 10+ it will certainly last for 10,000 miles between changes. I would check with RLI to determine if they've tested it with the B100 fuel, but I suspect they have test data to validate this compatibility.

I should mention that a number of folks are using this oil in the newer, direct injection, VW/Audi gas engine turbos and it seems to work very well in that application.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I don't think anyone is using the RL 5w-40 in a TDI - why don't you be the first? If it's using a CI-4+ additive chemistry, it's fine for your 1998 TDI engine. With a TBN of 10+ it will certainly last for 10,000 miles between changes. I would check with RLI to determine if they've tested it with the B100 fuel, but I suspect they have test data to validate this compatibility.

I should mention that a number of folks are using this oil in the newer, direct injection, VW/Audi gas engine turbos and it seems to work very well in that application.

TS
RL or RLI? Redline 5w40 has been CJ-4 for a year or two now.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Well someone is using RLI; look at the oil analysis thread....

TS
I should have been more clear. Did you mean RL (Redline) or RLI (Renewable Lube Inc) in your post? Or did you mean both?

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI L4 - 1.9L vin F 116ci 1896cc type AHU - MFI DIESEL SOHC Turbo-charged 5 speed MANUAL TRANNY
I will look in the UOA forum

I should have been more clear. Did you mean RL (Redline) or RLI (Renewable Lube Inc) in your post? Or did you mean both?
I look forward to know more about RLI products, just imagine how cool if all fluids are renewable! :D

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI L4 - 1.9L vin F 116ci 1896cc type AHU - MFI DIESEL SOHC Turbo-charged 5 speed MANUAL TRANNY
Found some info, can the Oil experts tell me if this specs are good for my engine?

Thanks!

Advanced Heavy Duty for OEM Long Drain Performance

Bio-Synthetic Heavy Duty Super High Performance SAE 5W40 contains the most advanced chemical technology available for high
performance, heavy-duty turbocharged and supercharged diesel and gasoline engines that require API Service SJ, SL, SM /CD, CDII, CE, CF,
CF-2, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, CI-4 Plus, and ACEA E2-96, E5-02 Issue 2/B3-98/A3-98.
Renewable Lubricants, Inc. formulates this lubricant to exceed most API requirements. RLI’s chemistry is blended into the highest
quality biobased and synthetic base stocks and provides extended engine life relative to other conventional oils without this proven
chemistry. This premium quality additive technology has documented records of excellent field performance in Caterpillar, Cummins,
Detroit Diesel, Mack, Volvo, and Mercedes Benz in terms of:

• Superior wear protection in both conventional valve train and overhead cams
• Superior anti-rust protection and bearing corrosion protection
• Outstanding anti-oxidation properties
• High temperature thermal stability
• Superb protection from low temperature sludge and varnish formation
• Enhanced shear stability
• Power-shift transmission performance for Cat TO-2, Allison C-3/C-4
• Reserve alkalinity (>10TBN) combats acidic fuel sulfur and nitrates to meet OEM extended drain requirements

This biobased synthetic lubricant is formulated to exceed the Original Equipment Manufactures (OEM) requirements for new vehicles, but
vehicles with higher mileage and equipment with high hours need a different lubricant that improves performance in these older out of
warranty machines. As the engine wears the lubrication film needs to be improved and the additive technology should also be increased to
prevent wear and condition the seals for longer life. Unlike conventional motor oils, this biobased, synthetic formula has special additives and
additional booster additives that help improve engine life. This is noticeable by the deep and dark color of this formula.
Since 1993, RLI’s unique, first of their kind, Bio-Super High Performance Motor Oils have proven exceptional performance in the racing
world, and they are the lubricants of choice for top performing world and national champions. These high performance racing oils have
exceeded the performance of conventional petroleum based products and have shown performance equal to and better than synthetic formulas.
Excellent performance has also been experienced from the heavy loads (3000 HP @ >9000 RPM) of IHRA Six Time Mark Thomas World
Champion alcohol fueled dragster to the high-temperature, long-term endurance, championship, road racing. These specially formulated
racing oils have been designed and tested to run in extreme conditions that would be expected with the motor sport, high performance engines.
This high performance technology is also the key additive technology in this Bio-Synthetic HD Motor Oil.

This Heavy Duty Lubricant is formulated using the most advanced and newest API SM/CI-4 approved additives. While no formal engine oil
license performance is implied or guaranteed in this formulation, the key physical properties as defined by SAE J300 are met. This biobased
formulation is inherently biodegradable and is designed to reduce emissions over conventional formulas. (Tested by the USDA as Biobased)
STABILIZED by Renewable Lubricants * is RLI’s trademark on their proprietary and patented anti-oxidant, anti-wear, and cold flow
technology. High Oleic Base Stock (HOBS) are agricultural vegetable oils. This Stabilized technology allows the HOBS to perform as a
high performance formula in high and low temperature applications, reducing oil thickening and deposits.
US Patents: 5,736,493, 5,863,872, 5,990,055, 6,383,992, 6,534,454 and foreign PCT
* Trademark of Renewable Lubricants, Inc.
Copyright 1999 Renewable Lubricants, Inc.

More info:
http://www.renewablelube.com/

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I use Petro-canada Duron E 0w-40 in the winter and Petro-Canada Duron E 10w-40 in the summer. I have done a lot of looking as spec sheets, pump rates, flash points density, compared them to the 505.01 and to 507 spec oil. The 0w-40 pumps like a dream in the cold and the 10w-40 pumps like a 5-40 but is more dense and gives better protection. I go to winter 0w-40 at thanksgiving and summer oil 10w-40 at Easter.
When I got her up to 130mph on the salt flats I had no worries about the oil. Could have gone a little faster but the yearly fatality sign as you turn off was keeping me reserved.
d-man, isn't the Petro Canada Duron 0w40 thick enough for 4 season use?

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
I did link all oils listed on post #1 to their tech data.

I hope useful data.

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
It seems that Rotella T is the one, huh?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
T6 here over M1 TDT. I found that my oil consumption with T6 is less than half of TDT. With my 2500 mile trips I take, with TDT my oil drops 3mm on the stick. With T6 only 1mm drop.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
T6 here over M1 TDT. I found that my oil consumption with T6 is less than half of TDT. With my 2500 mile trips I take, with TDT my oil drops 3mm on the stick. With T6 only 1mm drop.
My guess is TDT has a higher NOACK.

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
Interesting... I might have to give it a try once my cache of TDT runs out. :cool:

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
amsoil

I use Mobil 1 5w40 tdt in my 2000 beetle and Mobil 1 0w40 in my 2003 gas engine 2.0 Beetle and i am a long time Mobil 1 user. I know a lot on here don't like amsoil because it hasn't been tested for some of the VW engine test but amsoil say that they stand behing there oils in using in a VW. I haven't been on here much in the last year or so but do you guy's know of any trouble that people have had using amsoil in the newer tdis i am just curious ? :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I use Mobil 1 5w40 tdt in my 2000 beetle and Mobil 1 0w40 in my 2003 gas engine 2.0 Beetle and i am a long time Mobil 1 user. I know a lot on here don't like amsoil because it hasn't been tested for some of the VW engine test but amsoil say that they stand behing there oils in using in a VW. I haven't been on here much in the last year or so but do you guy's know of any trouble that people have had using amsoil in the newer tdis i am just curious ? :)
Your question might get more exposure in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=232711

AIREDALE

TDI
'04 PD 165,000miles
amsoil problems

I will tell the problem i have had with using amsoil DEO, I have to make a 25 mile trip to the amsoil depot for pickup. I know, its horrible. But no mechanical problems. Been using it since about 60K miles on PD engine. I do like that the DEO does not burn off like other oils ive used. I use amoil across the board on all my vehicles with extended oil changes.

Pulled my tahoe valve covers to replace the intake gaskets and valve cover gaskets with 160K miles on the ticker. I wish i would have taken a picture, extremely clean. I run the amsoil 20k mile interval in this vehicle.

I guess the trick is maintenance, not really what oil. Noone does maintenance anymore. People usually just drive vehicles into the ground, and buy another. I like my vehicles, and go looking for things to replace as preventive maintenance.

I also try to see the doctor 2-3 times a year also and watch my diet.
Different strokes.

Wboer

TDI
1.9 130hp PD