What is your avg Milege you can get ?

vwtdi02

I have 02 jetta TDI 5-speed and my avg milege is 422 miles on one tank, driving mostly in city plus I have PSI tuning box which supposly increase my consumption but I don't know if that is happening..

crazy paul

Veteran Member
Lac-Beauport, (near Quebec City)Canada - A
TDI
Jetta 2003 charcole
I have a 2003 jetta - no performance mods.

After two fillups I have averaged 860 kiometres (500+ miles). City 75% of the time. Tire pressure at 34psi. I fill up without venting, but taper off the fill and make sure it is topped up to the maximum (again, without venting).

Your milage, even for city, seems a bit low. Check your tire pressure - and try and fill up with good diesel.

Alster

Veteran Member
So far my average mpg for my 2003 GL TDI Jetta Wagon 5-speed is 51.8 MPG
for the last 1200 miles or so. I have not run the tank down yet but with 360 miles
on the tank registers just below the 3/4 mark. I use the vent trick when filling. I am
sure I should get a comfortable 600 miles on a tank.

Alster

glen gaffney

I am guestimatimating my average per tank at 800 + kilometres. Highway driving I recorded a gigantic 78 mpg. I have a 2002 jetta diesal tdi. I am in the process of recording city driving right now.

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
I have a Golf, but in medium-traffic suburban driving, I get about 700mi before the low fuel light comes on (venting of course). I've only filled up a few times though. Besides a high speed road trip where I got about 50mpg highway, for the suburban driving (half-way between city/highway), I've had 44mpg twice and 47mpg yesterday.

edit: my daily trip is about 20 miles each way. I drive pretty slow until the temp comes up, then I drive like a madman.

[ October 20, 2002, 21:18: Message edited by: snoopis ]

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I've never gotten more than 560 out of a tank, and that was vented-top to bone dry. Yea, the car ran out. *oops*

But no matter how I drive, 80% of which is hwy, I get 38mpg. That sucks. Timing is dead-center on the line, and I'm changing that VERY soon. Tires are now back to the 44psi manufacturer max, and maybe the mileage will go up. Damn Goodyear dealer tires, they stick to the road and slow me down!

--Jim

Kluster

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003
My millage really sucks. Hold tight! I'm currently at 250Km (not miles) on half a tank. That's +/- 30Litres for 250Km. My fuel pump is broken, my wheels aren't aligned right. Got to take my car to the mechanic asap. My filter is probably dirty too (4000Km on it)... probably same thing for the oil (Delvac 1).

Cheers,
Matt

96Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 06 Golf
If I went my tank, my needle doesn't hit the TOP line until about 500 km (300 mi) Heck it deosn't even move until around 400 km. Usually get around 1600 km from a tank. 5l/100km or 56 impg or 47 usmpg. Most of my calcs have been around 55 impg on a 50/50 combined tank. My car has 155000 km on it.

Captain_Chaos

Veteran Member
TDI
aa
I have a Golf with 1800 miles on it most of my driving is A roads and Motorways i can get 52-54MPG if i drive it respectably.

Edit: The car now has 2400 on it and the mileage has improved dramatically
i switched from shell diesel to safeway low sulpher, more info on page 2 of the thread

[ November 01, 2002, 07:37: Message edited by: BenjaminTDIPD ]

badmoon

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Blue
My last two tanks I averaged 44.6 & 45 MPG. The only difference in my driving was two different brands of fuel.

I was able to get 50.1 MPG for one tank but it was tough. I accelerated slow and drove no faster then 65.

I thought I would be averaging more like 48 MPG, but then again I only have 3,500 so time will tell.

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
On the Jetta, I have a 32 mile commute during the work week. About 6 miles of Interstate at 75 MPH, 5 miles of secondary road (speeds from 25 to 60 MPH), and about 22 miles of Suburban Driving (55 to 65 MPH; Some traffic lights). I have been averaging 47 mpg and over 700 miles on a vented tank.

Best Regards,

Rob

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
So Rob, the Upsolute added some mpg to ya, huh? Did you change the timing or anything else? My timing is dead-center on the graph, so I am planning on bumping that to the upper edge of the safety zone later this week. Any other changes I should consider to up the mpg? Snow screen? EGR? (already adapted, might re-do the Epsilonian I removed)

Oil is Delvac, fuel is either B100 or randomly mixed with 40 cetane rotgut. I add Diesel Kleen booster to the B100 when I make it.

Help! Please!

/edit: Realized I had typed "upsilon" when I meant "Epsilonian" in the post

--Jim

[ October 23, 2002, 16:33: Message edited by: Geordi 01JetTDI ]

retired_in_Chico

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Silver
Just filled up my 2002 Golf 5spd at 741 miles (light came on at 722) and put in 15 gallons on the button venting. All miles were hauling a mountain bike on the back and included a trip up to lake Tahoe (7000ft plus passes) and two level valley trips. ULSD in the tank. Average thus far with only 4000 miles has been right at 49mpg which I'm very happy with. Lots of 70+ driving too.

Sootblower

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, Atlantic Blue
I average between 45 to 50 mpg. I find it impossible to get less than 45 except during extreme winter conditions. Lowest ever was around 40. I am very pleased with this car.

jettaTDI99

Veteran Member
I got about 550 or so, give or take a few. I didnt let it go into reserve. I did alot of city driving this time though and I drive alot more aggressively.

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green
40 City 52 Hwy on my last tank.......and that is not babying it

Although I have found that I get a ding in mileage (by a couple of MPG when I use B-20)

Rob_from_Elkmont

Veteran Member
Based upon my log books, I cannot discern a mileage impact either way since installing the Upsolute chip. But, I do enjoy the torque and frequently mash the throttle and smile a little wider.

I have some other mods, but, I do not think they
affected my mileage greatly. Here is a list:
- VAGCOM ERG Adaption
- VAGCOM Injection Quantity Adaption
- CCV Elephant Hose Mod
- Tires (OEM Energy IV Plus) at 42 PSI
- Fuel Vent Guts Removed
- UK Mode Chimes and Clock
- TDICLUB FarfrumPumpen Static Stickers

Best Regards,

Rob

[ October 23, 2002, 19:35: Message edited by: Rob_from_Elkmont ]

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
I recently passed 100k miles on my Jetta TDI, and my overall mileage was 59.8 mpg imperial. Thats about half highway driving, usually around 70-75mph on the highway.

robobx

TDI
Passat,05,reflex silver
'03 jetta 1400 miles, last fill up was not vented, it took 15.6 gallons last night and that was 725 miles. mostly highway at 70mph+. In town the wife has a lead foot, she just loves the sound and torque of that thing!

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
All,

2001 Golf, Upsolute and Automatic. Odometer is about 15k.

My average is about 33 ~ 35. On a tank, I'd say I can get abotu 425 or so....that is with some venting.

Although with the UP chip, I'm loosing MPG, I love the acceleration and the ability to POOF others out!

Can I expect increased MPG (even say a minimum of 3~5 MPG) as the car gets broken in? Or is it already broken in?

D'OOOOH,
Neil (in VA)

glen gaffney

I suppose my average mpg is a respectable 63mpg. I done an amazing 78mpg highway driving. I never went over 100km/60 mph. On the city driving I got 46mpg. I am not an aggressive driver and rarely go over 60mph and follow the speed limits wherever I am. I have a manual 2002 jetta diesal. I did get a 100$ rebate for buying a high mpg vehicle from the goverment.

105Uphill

Veteran Member
TDI
98 & 99.5 Jettas Black
My 98 Jetta averages 43-44 combined driving. Best was 51 mpg with 4 people and the air conditioner on. Mileage goes UP with the AC on, anyone know why?

Worst was 39-39 but I try to forget those. Usually around 550 I will fill up.

Does anyone remember the '70's movie, I think, where the neighbor was bragging about the mileage on his Beetle. So the annoyed neighbor who had to listen to this started putting in a few gallons at night. Mileage shot up and the guy was bragging more. After a few weeks, they started taking gas OUT so milesage went down. The guy was going nuts and spending a fortune trying to figure out what was wrong with the car.

buck123

My Average mpg for 7394 miles on my jetta 2002 5sp...

MPG 46.41
TLT MILES DRIVEN 7394
TLT GALLONS 159.3
TOTAL COST $217.20
FUEL COST PER MILE .03

I USE AMSOIL 5W30 AND NO OTHER PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS. I RUN MY TIRE PRESSURE NO LOWER THAN 35 AND TRY TO KEEP IT AT 38PSI

I AM GOING TO START TRACKING MY TOTAL COST EXCLUDING THE ORGINAL PURCHASE..

I AM TRYING TO AVG 50 MPG, BUT SO FAR CANNOT GET THEIR... AT THE LAST TDI FEST I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE THE PEOPLE AT VIACOM RUN A CHECK ON MY ENGINE AND RESET MY RECIRC AIR TO THE MOST AMOUNT OF FRESH AIR THEY COULD GIVE ME.

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA HOW TO GET TO THAT 50MPG GOAL..

BUCK

[ October 31, 2002, 16:57: Message edited by: buck123 ]

daveyracing69

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 2002 Silver
I own 02 golf 5spd average is always 600 plus on a vented tank. 43-45mpg thats driving with some rpm into it, no short shift here.

samuel

Veteran Member
Mileage on my Golf 5 speed hovers around 37-38 mpg very consistantly. This isn't too good by some standards, but I don't drive for economy and do a lot of stop and go freeway driving (16 miles in 57 minutes tonight on the 405 and Ventura Fwy.). In most any other car I'd be lucky to hit 25 or 30 mpg., so I'm happy with it.