What is typical boost lag on these cars?

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
As I'm trying to iron out the last few kinks with my 2000 Golf, I've definitely noticed turbo lag. Understandable, I know turbo cars have lag, but I'm very unfamiliar with what is normal or what is concerning.

Can someone give me a rundown please?

Thanks.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
With the turbo being dinky and being of VNT design there's very little lag, I play with boost because I enjoy how it sounds and I like to exercise the turbo.

If you're referring to boost threshold, I don't get full boost until 2k rpm or something. I don't really pay attention and I have a tune so take it with a grain of salt, but you won't see much action before 2k RPM... It will still respond quick (you'll hear the turbo build boost with your windows down) but there won't be much of a response power-wise.

If you're experiencing actual turbo lag (foot down-long hesitation-then boost) your VNT vanes may be sticking from carbon buildup. I would check the solenoid and then the actuation of the VNT vanes next, and check requested vs actual boost if you have vag-com.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Turbo lag on a stock TDI, that's unusual, check your vacuum lines.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes it is a VNT turbo not a wastegate turbo. I have a boost gauge and when you punch the go pedal the boost reaches maximum in under a second. If it takes longer than that then vacuum line, N75, VNT actuator.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
OK. Thanks for the input.

I still have to do more 'butt dyno' diagnostics, but I don't think it's noticeable. It's just something that I'm looking for, and have noticed. I don't think anyone else would notice it, but I am suspicious of my actuator for other reasons.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No lag on my ALHs. You stab the pedal, they go.

BHW has some lag but I think it is as much a function of the auto trans as the turbo, and when IT kicks in it really moves.

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
I've owned PDs and VPs, and I have the impression that PDs have less lag.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I've owned PDs and VPs, and I have the impression that PDs have less lag.
I had a boost gauge on my 2002 and you would think it was getting the signal from the throttle sensor: push to the floor and before you are at the floor the boost is there.

Boost gauge is going into my 2003 Wagon.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I had a boost gauge on my 2002 and you would think it was getting the signal from the throttle sensor: push to the floor and before you are at the floor the boost is there.
Boost gauge is going into my 2003 Wagon.
Wow. If it's really that prompt, then I may actually have a lingering issue.

To eliminate my 'butt dyno' bias, graphs of actual vs requested boost would clear this up pretty easily, no?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Might just tell you what you already know, it lags. Check that the veins are free and the turbo actuator rod just starts to open at 3.5 to 5 "/hg