? what is this fitting under passenger dash ? 96 Passat

000utback

TDI
96 Passat sedan; 03 Jetta sedan; 04 Jetta sedan
While I have the knee bolster off, I'm looking for sources of the cold air leak that freezes passenger's feet in wintertime. I see the condensate drain for the a/c. About 6" to the right and an inch higher there's a small tan plastic fitting sticking through a hole in the carpet. about 1/4" diameter. I can pull the carpet back and see more of it. I reckon it comes through the firewall. It has texture on the outside, but I can't tell if it's threaded or barbed. I don't see abandoned hoses in the vicinity. What is this fitting for?

Second question: I'd like to hear suggestions on what to check for the fresh air leak. Is it possible the air duct leaks before the air gets to the heater core? Any other firewall penetrations?

Thanks much!

White Cloud

Last edited:

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Not sure...but someone has been there before you. where that homemade bracket is there should be a very large zip tie holding on a trim panel for under the HVAC plenum that goes around the entire unit. I have no idea what the other carpet fitting is off hand, not at my vehicles atm to check.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Check your blend door foam, or lack thereof.

I think someone broke the plastic push nut goes on that barb. Try spinning it off. It’s only there to secure the carpet. It’s welded to the firewall.

-Todd

000utback

TDI
96 Passat sedan; 03 Jetta sedan; 04 Jetta sedan
Thanks for the come-backs. Yes, I can understand a carpet holder that has popped off.

I checked out the heat and distribution blend doors while I had the area opened up to fix the heat control cable. Pretty good shape. I didn't get into the recirc system, which doesn't seem to work. Looks like I need to check the vacuum switch and etc. (But now we need to get this buttoned up before hunting season this weekend).
The problem with the cold draft happens while the heater is putting out nice warm air - warm at all the vents. That's why I'm wondering if the plenum comes apart somewhere in front of the passenger, and perhaps is leaking before the air gets to the hot box. Or, an opening in the firewall. Right now it isn't cold enough here to go for a test drive and try to find the source. Maybe I'll just pack the area full of foam and see if that covers it.