What is the "Y" coolant connection next to the oil dipstick

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
I can't tell with 100% certainty if the hose itself is leaking or it's the "Y" connection that is leaking. At first I thought it was the thermostat housing which I've read is prone to splitting. So I ordered it along with a new thermostat a week ago when I first saw my leak after driving. Also had an IP leak to fix as well. After fixing my IP leak, I got to looking for the coolant leak more. It appears the leak will only begin once at operating temps which led me to think the thermostat housing. Now that I've aired it all off and began to investigate further, it's the "Y" connection. Note in the pic I have a large flat tip screwdriver pointing to the "Y" connection in question. Is this the water pump to flange to oil cooler connection listed here on
Rock Auto-->http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,1997,passat,1.9l+l4+diesel+turbocharged,1284623,cooling+system,coolant+hose+/+pipe,10068?a=Ad+Code+FRc1425002k2548336-6675708
Really hard to tell. Here's the pic on my car I tried to point a large screwdriver at it. My pic got all distorted with having to modify/upload to a 3rd party site somehow...my apologies.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The short story is yes, that's the coolant hose you're referencing at RA. It's also sold by Gates (on RA too) under part number 24121 and by ACDelco 20632S here

These two are located in the HVAC section rather than the cooling system.

I'm not sure whether it's the hose or the Y fitting that starts to leak on these. I have one on my B3V right now, so far it's not leaking.

Steve

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Thanks Steve. I'm going to have to get back under the car and get a better look at this I suppose. Follow the hoses to see where they run. I'm not seeing the "Y" connection on parts sites just yet, but will do some more looking this evening when I get off work. I can say this car has more dang coolant hoses that I've ever seen on any one car......lol. I have a 6.0l PSD in my F250 and doesn't have near the amount of hoses/connections as this little 1.9 TDI

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The "Y" isn't sold separately, it comes as a unit with the hoses attached. Some of them have a plastic union with 3 hoses clamped on, some of them are a single moulded rubber hose with three outlets.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
vanbcguy is right, the Y isn't sold separately, it comes with the hoses clamped on already. On your hose I can see that the clamps have to be cut with a dremel, they don't have screws to adjust. On some they are screw type hose clamps.

Steve

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Yup, exactly what I wanted to say earlier, but my stupid work computer will let me view the forum, just blocks me if I try to actually log in. Just got home so going to look now and try to verify which hose I need to order. Still trying to get TapTalk to link me up for pic uploading too.

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Nice and quick on this one today. Confirmed leak and ordered via Rock Auto. Should have it in a few days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

raenglehart

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Hose arrived today. Replacement was a bear (on the lower water pump hose clamp) but got it done eventually. The short hose from the Y to the water pump was severely swollen I'm sure from the slow IP leak I fixed about a week or so ago. Now that I fixed those 2 things, lets see what it will be next.:eek: