What is the point of B100 retailers?

SPL Tech

TDI
jetta
All of the local Cenex gas stations in my city carry B100, and they only carry B100, they do not sell any other type of diesel. This seems pretty pointless from a business aspect, I mean, how many 2012 model vehicles exist on the road that are approved by the manufacturer to use B100? Are there really any automobile manufacturers out there that will straight up tell you B100 is safe to use in their vehicles? As far as I know Ford, Chevy, GM, and Dodge all say no to B100. So that does not leave many diesel vehicles left.

Freestyle72

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
My guess would be that you can go to a regular gas station and fill your tank partially with diesel and the rest in b100 to get whatever mixture is appropriate.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
My question is where are you located so, those of us who can run B100, can come benefit from it?

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Plenty of older diesels out there who can and do use it though :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
B100, because it does not contain carcinogenic petroleum diesel, is subject to much less strict regulations than even B99. It may be simply that the permits and licensing needed for petroleum sales were prohibitive.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
B100, because it does not contain carcinogenic petroleum diesel, is subject to much less strict regulations than even B99. It may be simply that the permits and licensing needed for petroleum sales were prohibitive.
The OP said this was at a gas station. If the station can sell gasoline, I'm sure they could sell diesel fuel. ;)

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
Depends on the state, but on the federal level (SPCC Plan, etc.) the regulations are the same.

Lug_Nut

TDI
The OP said this was at a gas station. If the station can sell gasoline, I'm sure they could sell diesel fuel. ;)
...from a gasoline storage tank?
A new tank for diesel might subject the entire station to upgrading all the tanks, even the gasoline tanks. Putting is a B100 tank is far easier and does not subject the entire station to scrutiny.

cvalentine

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf, 2014 328d
A new tank for diesel might subject the entire station to upgrading all the tanks, even the gasoline tanks. Putting is a B100 tank is far easier and does not subject the entire station to scrutiny.
Above-ground tank facilities and very large below-ground tank facilities are under EPA SPCC regulations. These regulations treat B100 and diesel tanks the same.

But, most filling stations use smaller under-ground tanks, which are usually under state regulation, which can be different.

Last edited:

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
Many gas stations convert gasoline tanks to diesel. They install blender pumps to make midgrade gasoline and then change the midgrade tank to diesel.

I HIGHLY doubt that they are selling B100 to to get around scrutiny. I am sure they have other, better reasons. Like trying to accumulate RIN's.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Federal UST rules in the 1990's required *all operators* to upgrade petroleum USTs to double wall tanks with leak detection. California had rules to do this in the late 1980's. SPCC rules subject UST operators with 40,000 gallons or more to have spill response plans (last federal upgrade of SPCC plans was 2003 timeframe). SPCC plans cover "oil" (oil of any kind).

Lug_Nut

TDI
What's the time frame for compliance? Were all stations shut down simultaneously while the nation underwent this replace all tanks tonight upgrade?
Or were they required to make the upgrade when the station changed ownership or any facility work was done (as is the case here in Mass.)?
B99 contains some petroleum and would be subject to the regulation. Adding a storage tank for non-petroleum containing liquids would not.
SPCC plans also include the bottles of Wesson on the shelves in the store?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
What's the time frame for compliance? Were all stations shut down simultaneously while the nation underwent this replace all tanks tonight upgrade?
Or were they required to make the upgrade when the station changed ownership or any facility work was done (as is the case here in Mass.)?
B99 contains some petroleum and would be subject to the regulation. Adding a storage tank for non-petroleum containing liquids would not.
SPCC plans also include the bottles of Wesson on the shelves in the store?
I forgot what the rules gave for a compliance timetable, but it was a period of years. I was with ARCO at the time and we had over 40,000 tanks to upgrade in California alone. Who really got hurt during this upgrade requirement were privately held stations as the cost to upgrade was estimated to be $200,000 - $400,000 per station (many were more if contamination was found from leaks).

SPCC plans are required for tanks that contain 1,320 gallons aboveground or 40,000 gallons below ground (with some stipulations for 55-gallon drums). The plans cover oil (oil of any kind) and the potential for a release to enter a "navigable" (as defined by EPA) waterway.

Our shop writes these plans for our oil, gas and chemical clients.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
I'm certainly no expert, but I've learned a bit over the last couple of years in my biodiesel pursuits. From a buyer perspective, there appear to be three general reasons people purchase or seek out B100; environmental, patriotic and economic reasons. For many people, using B100 is a way to be part of the solution to reduce air pollution or to be part of a sustainable and renewable system. It's a pure alternative to using petroleum-based fuels.

I've met some people would rather pay more for B100 just so they don't have to buy foregin oil. I'm sure you've heard of people who will only buy american made vehicles and other products. This is their way of supporting america, and in the case of B100 that's produced from soybeans, supporting American farmers. Willie Nelson has or had a biodiesel operation.

Some seek out B100 because they believe it's a cheaper alternative to the high cost of diesel. They quickly learn that B100 generally costs more than the stuff that comes from crude oil.

So why are there B100 retailers, I suppose there is a demand for the pure stuff in their area. I'd love to know what part of the country has B100 retailers. Clue us in.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
"Willie's Place" Hillsboro Texas

I'm certainly no expert, but I've learned a bit over the last couple of years in my biodiesel pursuits. From a buyer perspective, there appear to be three general reasons people purchase or seek out B100; environmental, patriotic and economic reasons. For many people, using B100 is a way to be part of the solution to reduce air pollution or to be part of a sustainable and renewable system. It's a pure alternative to using petroleum-based fuels.

I've met some people would rather pay more for B100 just so they don't have to buy foregin oil. I'm sure you've heard of people who will only buy american made vehicles and other products. This is their way of supporting america, and in the case of B100 that's produced from soybeans, supporting American farmers. Willie Nelson has or had a biodiesel operation.

Some seek out B100 because they believe it's a cheaper alternative to the high cost of diesel. They quickly learn that B100 generally costs more than the stuff that comes from crude oil.

So why are there B100 retailers, I suppose there is a demand for the pure stuff in their area. I'd love to know what part of the country has B100 retailers. Clue us in.

I stopped by last winter to check out what Willie Nelson started----the first Biodiesel Truckstop in North
America, @ " Carls' Corner" on Interstate 35 near Hillsboro. Surprised to
find that is is now an "EXXon/Petro" with the usual fast food BS---not what
I expected & when I asked inside I was told he had a "Courthouse Steps
Auction" In Texas that usually means IRS trouble. Too Bad. I noticed that
the diesel pumps were all dispensing B10 and the lot was FULL of rigs. So
I guess Willie was a Bio-D pioneer---for a while. Good on him.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI

Let me add one additional reason. I have no biodiesel available near me that I'm aware of. When I go somewhere where I think B100 is available, I buy 15 gals or so and use it a couple of courts at a time mixed with PS as an additive.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
Let me add one additional reason. I have no biodiesel available near me that I'm aware of. When I go somewhere where I think B100 is available, I buy 15 gals or so and use it a couple of courts at a time mixed with PS as an additive.
Down to Earth Energy in Monroe has/had B20,B50, & B100, but that's about a 4 hr drive. And SA White Oil Company has/had "all blends" but that is also also 4 hrs too. Not sure if you knew about these locations or not.

United Energy Distributors in Aiken, SC has B20 if ever in that area.

Other than those I found these also:

Henry's Travel Plaza
Biodiesel (B20 and above)
1935 Old Edisto Dr
Orangeburg SC 29115
Biodiesel Blends: B20
Phone: 803-534-5808
Distance: 115.7 Miles
Access: Public - see hours

Kent's Korner #7
Biodiesel (B20 and above)
300 E Main St