What is the oil change interval for European VW TDIs?

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
1) With all the chatter herein about oil changes and such I wondering what the Manuel says for European cars?

2) 10,000 or one year here in the USA but overseas? Let us know.

Thanks,
Dan

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Dan, Manuel sez:

It’s your choice.

All new Volkswagen cars (except the Lupo) are now manufactured with the LongLife service regime activated and the engine filled with longlife oil. However, your car is also capable of being serviced at a more traditional time of 12 months or 10000 miles (which ever occurs first). This regime is known as Time/Distance or Fixed for the Lupo.

Your Retailer will explain both systems and can reset your car to the Time/Distance regime at the Pre Delivery Inspection.

Whichever regime you choose, the vehicle dashboard service indicator will remind you when the service is due. With the Time/Distance regime this will be around 10000 mile or 12 months (which ever occurs first). With the LongLife service regime it could be anywhere between 9,000 miles or 12 months up to a maximum of 30,000* miles or 24 months, depending on the engine.

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
Que? This part of Europe (UK) has the following guidance:

"LongLife Service Regime

We recommend this service if you are likely to drive more than 25 miles a day, and if you tend to drive in the following way:
  • Regular long distance driving
  • Driving at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, and minimal towing
  • Economical driving
This LongLife regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced longlife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 18,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first)."

I guess the 30,000 number, widely quoted, comes from 30,000km. 18641.135767120017 miles, or near enough 18000:)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
The 30,000 (it's actually 50K km, so a bit more miles) miles number comes from what the oil and oil filter was designed for as a maximum interval.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
nortones2 said:
18641.135767120017 miles, or near enough 18000:)
:D

Yeah, I thought they had backed off the 50k kms interval but somebody else said that wasn't the case...

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
nortones2 said:
Que? This part of Europe (UK) has the following guidance:

"LongLife Service Regime

We recommend this service if you are likely to drive more than 25 miles a day, and if you tend to drive in the following way:
  • Regular long distance driving
  • Driving at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, and minimal towing
  • Economical driving
This LongLife regime has been made possible due to the development of new Volkswagen engines with the latest technically advanced longlife oil. These engines use built-in sensors that continually monitor the oil quality, making it possible to enjoy reliable and confident motoring for up to a maximum of 18,000* miles or 24 months (whichever occurs first)."

I guess the 30,000 number, widely quoted, comes from 30,000km. 18641.135767120017 miles, or near enough 18000:)
So your in the UK.........is it 50K or 30K? Inquiring minds want to know :)

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I live in Germany and there are three options available for Europe in reference to VAG - im not sure about other manufactures. USA Spec Jetta/Golf/A3 do not have oil sensors so there is only the time and distance option.

1 Year /15,000KM/10,000MILES (Time and Distance)

2 Years/30,000KM/18,000MILES (most commonly used in EU) Oil Sensors might adjust distance base on the driving style

1 Year/50,000KM/30,000MILES (Used for commercial Vehicles)

Last edited:

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
No options offered here: 15.000Km or 12 months, whichever comes first.

Factors for not allowing the extended interval are:
- less reliable fuel quality across the market (although you can get reliably good fuel if you stick with the major suppliers and not jump on the absolute cheapest deal you can find)
- bad and congested roads, that translates into frequent hard acceleration and much more dust ingestion.
- more extreme climate compared to western Europe (up to 40C in the summer, down to -30C in the winter)
- congested cities

...maybe more.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
willafb said:
I live in Germany and there are three options available for Europe in reference to VAG - im not sure about other manufactures. USA Spec Jetta/Golf/A3 do not have oil sensors so there is only the time and distance option.

1 Year /15,000KM/10,000MILES (Time and Distance)

2 Years/30,000KM/18,000MILES (most commonly used in EU) Oil Sensors might adjust distance base on the driving style

1 Year/50,000KM/30,000MILES (Used for commercial Vehicles)
Thanks for your reply. Aside from answering my question you also cleared up another one for me. That being the oil sensor I read about in the response from the UK. Apparently we (USA) do not have the sensor as my on board computer only mentions miles and time (days remaining, actually).

This makes sense here in the good ol' US cause many folks here are continually fed a crock of crap (See Jiffy-lube) of commercials telling them their oil is shot after only 3000 miles. Even getting people to believe they can go 10000 miles can be a real leap of faith for most. Old wives tales die hard here at home.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
GTIDan said:
makes sense here in the good ol' US cause many folks here are continually fed a crock of crap (See Jiffy-lube) of commercials telling them their oil is shot after only 3000 miles. Even getting people to believe they can go 10000 miles can be a real leap of faith for most. Old wives tales die hard here at home.
I suspect it's because motor oil is cheap to buy/dispose of in the USA.