What is the most you have put in your tank?

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
Here's a another option on this great idea that Jerod created.
These fittings don't require any of the gluing and whatnot, and easy to install from the outside. If you're still concerned, you can always still add some glue but these will retain in the tank a little better than a threaded fitting and shouldn't be subject to any vibration or shock damages down the line.

They work by making the hole for the grommet, and installing the grommet. You shove the barb (the larger one next to the red "cut off" circle) in through the grommet and it spread sthe grommet to provide a tight seal, and the barb keeps it in place. Common on lawnmowers, snowmobiles, etc.

Link to where you can get them.

http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?productid=20343

Last edited:

TJGarvin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG Comfortline
I've done 14.08 a couple of times.. (From Fuelly) To nervous with the bars gone and the D to E at 0 to go much further.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
I've gotten well over 14 gallons before -- I used to drive 80 miles each way to work. I cannot recall the exact amount, but it was an expensive fill up, and I was REALLY close to 700 miles. If I recall, the MPGs were around 48.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
In general, how close does the guage mirror the actual fuel left in the tank? I've had mine down to the last dot on my test drive, and it even dissapeared by the time I finished the drive. Just wondering if there is any type of reserve?

Rob

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Hi all,

Just had to do a fill up today on my way back from the lake. Put 14.86 gallons in at $3.499 per gallon.

I had one bar left on the fuel gauge. Said I had another 35 miles to empty. Had 466.4 miles on the tank with a lot of in town and two hi-speed interstate runs. Mileage slipped quite a bit because of it.

Rob

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I don't know how much, but my wife has ran it down to zero miles remaking on the mfd. My truck holds 36 gallons.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
In general, how close does the guage mirror the actual fuel left in the tank? I've had mine down to the last dot on my test drive, and it even dissapeared by the time I finished the drive. Just wondering if there is any type of reserve?

Rob
I stupidly ran mine down to 5 miles remaining on the distance left and no bars left on the gauge. The station I was going to fill at had a broken pump on the diesel. Uh oh. This was in a rural area and the nearest station with diesel was 10 miles away. It went to 0 miles remaining shortly after I left the first station, and I drove about 8 nervous miles with it showing 0 miles remaining. I made it, but I don't recommend it. I put 14.72 gallons in.
At least with the mpg these things get, if you still have even a pint of accessible fuel left, you can still go 5 or 6 miles.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
Thanks for the information. Since the car is new to me, I'm trying to figure out all of the
idiosyncrasies with the car.

I won't run it down that much, but just wanted to know what others are seeing.

Rob

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the fuel capacities the same between the gassers and oil burners?

mhouck

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2010 Jetta
Just put in 16.419 gallons! 720.1 miles. Los Alamos,NM to Warner,OK. VERY windy, only got 43 mpg. Gauge had one block left and MFD showed 10 miles to go. I am thinking that this mod nets about 1.5-2 gallons.
What was your average speed for that trip? I'm assuming between 55-65 mph?

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
The tank has room for 16+ gallons? I think with my 14.5 or so worst fill up I was scared to death. I don't think I will ever push it further than I did then.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
The tank has room for 16+ gallons? I think with my 14.5 or so worst fill up I was scared to death. I don't think I will ever push it further than I did then.
No, your tank and my tank will not take 16+ gallons, so don't keep going.

He has a done a vent mod which is allowing him to get more in an MKVI. See post #15 in this thread.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Gotcha -- His sig showed a MKVI and I am guessing this was from an earlier model haha.

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I know there were vent mods for earlier generations but did not know the vent mod applied to MKVIs. I currently have one now, my name is from when I first registered and had a MKIII

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
The vent mod done on post 15, is indeed a Mk VI. The older vent mods didn't require placing new vent lines / fittings.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Missed that or forgot. It was three years ago. First fill didn't seem to get a lot of additional fuel, maybe a gallon. What's the most you've put in the tank?

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
From post #22ish

Warner, Ok to Knoxville, TN. 731 Miles, 16.622 gallons.

This was as far as I am comfortable pushing it without opening the tank and actually seeing how much fuel is left.

This mod seems to have gone relatively unnoticed by almost everyone when it was first done, as I've seen little to no discussion on modding the MKVI tanks. I'm going to try it when we get some nice weather so I can work on the car. I'd love me another 1.5-2 gallons.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
my owners manual says tank in my 2012 Jetta TDI is...

14.5 gallons.... the most that I have put in is 14.25 gallons:eek:

rwehuman

on banned subject probation
TDI
2012 TDI jetta
M.D. eFF. that.

the MDF is no way to estimate how much fuel you have left. The thing (and I dont know this for sure) is programmed to be conservative. Put your self in VW's position. The last thing VW wants is a housewife looking at the MDF and saying to herself "Oh I can go to the mall I have 40 miles to go when the dizzy girl does not know the mall is 25 miles....ONE Way not to mention another 5 miles to her favorite (we all have one) fuel station. Then VW has a bunch of unhappy sheeple sitting on the side of the road waiting for fuel. They know you are going to push it we(collectively) all have from the very first vehicle with an analog gauge giving an actual reading, now they have the power to heard the sheeple to the fuel station faster.
To know your car better do the math. you know you put 14 Gallons in, you are getting 44.6MPG (per the MDF I know, but I trust that setting) = 624.4 miles.
As added security and to help me get to know my car every time the fuel light comes on I hit my Trip Reset -Not the MDF reset- the best question is: HOW FAR HAVE YOU GONE WHEN YOUR LIGHT COMES ON. my best is 75 miles. that includes the 1/3 of a tank before all the lil bars are gone. Have fun pushing the envelope.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
rwehuman, you know you're going to get people all alarmed that you're going to destroy your HPFP and blow up your engine if you run the tank low. Smart TDI drivers never let it get below 1/2 tank to minimize risk.

crewcabrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI SEL
I hit 1/4 tank last night on my way home. No gas light yet. I'm sure today I will have the gas light come on as I will drive my normal commute of 94 miles.

I am still learning my car too, but I'm more curious about how many gallons I have at the various light bars. 1/4 tank to me means something like 3.6 gallons. So is each little bar roughly a gallon of gas in the last 1/4 tank?

Rob

voilsb

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I just fueled up at 751 miles, with room to spare. Might have made it to 800 if I felt like trying, but I don't like to go under 1/4 tank and I was already...

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I just fueled up at 751 miles, with room to spare. Might have made it to 800 if I felt like trying, but I don't like to go under 1/4 tank and I was already...
WOW! Your getting about 57 mpg? I did, feel good about the 40-42 mpg my car gets. Any mods on your car?