What is the longest you have seen the 01m last?

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Just wondering how long you have had or seen the 01m last? *No, not interested in a manual swap*

Trying to make a decision on whether or not to keep my $500 car.

Also, what was done to it during it's life?

Thanks!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My car had 324k before it started having torque converter lockup faults, and even then I could have out a valve body on it, but opted to manual swap it. I still have my trans in the shed.

2002_auto_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
03 5spd wagon and 02 01m sedan
Ecala001...how did yours die?

Nero Morg....wow....any pointers on getting it to last that long??

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Nero, km or miles? You're from OR so I assume miles but just making sure.

My '2 has aboot 180k miles.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm sure there are 98 bugs with 01m still working. They're just not good, not near as bad as the my 1st mopar minivan auto. Those failed like 98%, the 01M I'd guess is more like 70% fail rate. No reason not to use it if it works, they can sometimes be remedied (see kansascitytdi.com).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I had one that I took care of that had 320k on it when it finally died. It had been misbehaving for 100k miles at least. The car was driven almost all highway, probably why it lasted so long. I put a used one in it of unknown mileage that died two years later, LOL.

It is not the best transmission, and there are quite a few failure modes to them. But it is certainly not the worst. And in the case of the TDIs, it just so happens to have been bolted to one of the most durable engines ever, which is why its shortcomings seem to come on display so often.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nero, km or miles? You're from OR so I assume miles but just making sure.

My '2 has aboot 180k miles.
Miles, I bought the car from the second owner. First owner was his grandfather and he's the one that put 99.99% of the miles on it driving from Gresham to North Plains every day. Back in' 15 when we had that bad snow storm he slid into a barrier and wrecked the front end. The grandson I bought it from fixed the front end then drove it for a few months before parting ways with it.

It was obvious someone was in the trans before because the skid plate was missing and one pan bolt was somehow still in it, even though it was finger tight. So fluid/filters is key for longevity. I kept the trans since I know all it needs is a valve body, in case I convert my dad's car back to an auto.

wildn

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon 5spd! 2011 Jetta JSW TDI DSG
My car had 324k before it started having torque converter lockup faults, and even then I could have out a valve body on it, but opted to manual swap it. I still have my trans in the shed.
By TCC lockup faults you don't mean an occasional pending code like P0740...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
By TCC lockup faults you don't mean an occasional pending code like P0740...
I don't know about the P code, but in VCDS it always said
01192 - Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch

Occasionally on the freeway when I was beginning to coast, it would rapidly engage and disengage, causing a chattering feeling. But if I gave it a little acceleration, it'd stop, like the valve bofy was bypassing pressure and couldn't keep up at lower rpms.

TDI
2003 MK4 TDI Golf
I'm approaching 334,000 and have been getting the P0811 "excessive clutch slippage" code for years. Have never experienced any sort of issues; just clear it and carry on. Funny thing though -- I underfilled the transmission fluid recently and the code went away for a few months. Put in the other half-quart to where it should have been and BAM -- back to throwing that code every other drive.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
2002 VW Golf with an 01M - made it to 345,000 miles before it failed. I have a 2002 Golf parts car with an 01M with only 90,000 miles. Pulled that out, replaced the filter and put new fluid in it and swapped the failed 01M. I'm hoping it lasts as long as the first one......

Eric

jimmyfine

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI, 2014 BMW 328D Wagon
'02 Jetta 01M w/250k miles, currently waiting for a G68 to come in (hopefully today), no other issues with it so far besides field mice chewing almost entirely transmission wires (it sat in a field for 3 1/2 of the last 5 years). Thinking the TC is having a slow lockup but never gotten a code for it and it performs consistantly the same so I believe it is working as intended. I changed the fluid at 224k when I first got the car, cousin gave it to me for free with a locked up motor (2 of the field years before I got it) and mice had got the solenoid harness so I replaced that and fluid/filter and added some Best Line transmission additive as well and it did seem to gradually improve the shift feel for abut 2k miles and has been the same since besides the P0722.