What is the Degree of Difficulty of a DPF Delete?

Ron-in-NC-VW-driver

TDI
2011 Jetta
I have been driving a Jetta TDI since 2005. When my first Jetta hit 250K miles, on a whim I bought a 2011 TDI. On paper it seemed like the perfect car for me. I did not reckon on the emissions components that were not present on my 2005. I have been researching how to do a DPF delete and I want to do it myself (mostly to save money, but also because I cannot find a TDI mechanic locally whom I trust).

Can anyone tell me what my risks are? I have been studying the Malone website and as much as I can find in the forum. Many users pay someone to do the tune, as well as the downpipe installation. Why is this? Is there a chance I might "brick" my ECU?

I have VCDS and decent but basic automotive repair experience.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It isn't very difficult, but a bit tedious. I drop the subframe assembly completely out, because it is easy and I don't like fighting things. But I am also doing it on a lift. On the ground will just be a little more of a challenge but the basic steps are all the same.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
You can do it. If you are not keeping the DPF, cut it to make things easier (you can still sell it to a scrapper). Rawtek has a PDF on installation instructions that is pretty good. If you get a "kit" like the ones from Canada, it usually comes with a flash device, tunes and downpipe + exhaust components. Tuning is easy, but does require you to have a windows based laptop.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
You can do it. If you are not keeping the DPF, cut it to make things easier (you can still sell it to a scrapper). Rawtek has a PDF on installation instructions that is pretty good. If you get a "kit" like the ones from Canada, it usually comes with a flash device, tunes and downpipe + exhaust components. Tuning is easy, but does require you to have a windows based laptop.
So you can install a tune from a pc with a vcds (or similar) cable/dongle? I had the impression based on people talking about tunes that we had to buy a flashzilla or something similar. If so, can you save your stock firmware and flash back and forth from/to stock from a pc.

Thanks much

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
You need a flash device, like flashzilla or powergate3, and a pc. I bought the EOC kit for my son's car and it included the PG3 device.

Note that it is not an on-the-fly change (although some tuners offer that), but yes, you can flash back and forth if desired/needed.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
OK, thanks that makes sense. I had hoped there was a way to do it directly from a pc. Oh, well.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You essentially are.... you're just using a little interface device to bridge the PC to the car. That part is actually pretty easy. The klugey part is making sure to take the correct steps once on the internet, which (to me) is not super intuitive, and we just had one here today that required some extra hoops to jump through.

Ron-in-NC-VW-driver

TDI
2011 Jetta
Thank you - I am actually more worried about the software piece. If it goes sideways - extra hoops that I don’t know how to jump through - will I be stuck with a non-functioning ECU?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
Software part is easy. The tuner will send you software to install on your laptop. Just be sure to have your car battery on a charger while flashing the ECU.