what is the best engine oil and filters for 2014 golf tdi

windchime

TDI
2014 Golf TDI
I looked all over and seems to get different answers and not sure which exact oil to buy for 2014 golf tdi, is there a thread I didn't find? If you can send a product link to purchase would be great, thanks!!!
I almost want to give up and just get what the dealership has, but if there is something better than what the dealership has, I would like to use it :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not that complicated really. Just be sure you get oil that meets VW's 507.00 specification and a filter from Mann, Hengst, Mahle, Purflux, or from VW (which will be one of the brands I've listed in a VW box). VW has their own branded 507.00 oil in 0w30 weight, most likely from Mobil. Total, Liqui-Moly, Rowe, Pentosin, and others refine correct oil, too.

If you're looking at known name brand products the variation in quality is pretty minor. I'm partial to Total oils and Mann filters, but it's more force of habit than concern for getting the "best" product.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Interesting to note when I did my research I found Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 to have a slightly higher viscosity at 100C than Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Also the 5W-30 seems to be getting harder to find and costs more. I do not know if this is the case with other brands of 5W vs 0W but I do know that my local dealership switched to 0W last year.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I do know that my local dealership switched to 0W last year.
Mobil (like most companies) has had some supply chain issues this year. And your dealer had to switch, Castrol 504-507 oil is no longer available.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Castrol-Edge-5W-30-LL 5qt $24.04 at Walmart.com if you look at the 1qt bottle it shows the vw507 specification on the back.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I’ve never seen a bad oil analysis with Mobil 1 ESP 5w30.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I think @IndigoBlueWagon nailed it.

Define best?

With typical usage scenarios, I'd wager almost none of us really need to try to gain that n^teenth performance edge to extract a competitive advantage.

I've done about a half dozen UOA on the typical brands, Motul, Total, LiquiMoly. To my eye the stats were all in line with one another so after that experiment I've opted for whatever 507 oil was cheapest and available. The only reservation I had was a lot of frothing with the LiquiMoly.

With filters, I believe there is a thread somewhere on here where @oilhammer explains why some are better than others but OEM >>> the rest. I've been using Mahle/Mann/Hengst a lot with no complaints.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I use the VW oil and VW filter kit from ECS tuning. $66.00, arrives at my doorstep in a few days, and I change it myself.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Finding non OE 504.00/507.00 spec locally at a fair price may be a challenge for many. Our local VW parts counter sells G-E55-030-1Q-DSP (0W-30) for $8+/- a quart, so they're competitive with ECS, IDParts, et al., IMO (I haven't asked at the local Audi parts counter yet, which is at a different company). We went with IDParts $50 oil change bundle (Total Ineo Long Life 5W-30, Mann filter, drain plug) recently, which arrived by UPS in a few days (though I used an OE filter from an earlier parts order). I may look at the Castrol-Edge-5W-30-LL 5 quart bottle deal from walmart.com next time out.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Mobil (like most companies) has had some supply chain issues this year. And your dealer had to switch, Castrol 504-507 oil is no longer available.
Thanks for the info. Since you are with ID Parts and I buy my stuff from you for both my Sprinter and my VW a discussion came up on the Sprinter forum about counterfeit filters and it was mentioned that there are plenty out there even labeled Mann, some guys only trust the dealerships at 2-3 times the cost (fuel filters for Sprinter $100-$150 at dealer). I am sure you can put us at ease about your filters tho right?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I haven't heard anything about conterfeit filters. I will point out that all the major filter manufacturers (Mann, Hengst, Mahle) manufacture in China. I wonder if some Sprinter folks see a China country of origin and think the filter is conterfeit. That's just a guess. The filter business is interesting in that (a) vehicle manufacturers don't make filters; (b) the major filter makers often share filters to be boxed by other manufacturers. If you open an OE Mercedes box you'll probably find a Mann or Hengst filter in it. And you can find a Mann filter in a Hengst box for some applications, and vice-versa.

Other minor point is that UFI, who is one of the larger filter makers in the world and OE to VW, doesn't distribute in the US. We buy our UFI filters direct from UFI in Italy. Many of or customers want prefer to buy a Mann fuel filter for an MKIV, for example, but if you buy that filter at the dealer you're going to get an UFI filter in the box.

My point is that filters are more of a commodity than many people realize, and their preferences for buying a filter that's OE or has a certain brand on it doesn't really mean they're getting a different filter in the box. Of course there are third tier makers out there who sell junk, but if you look at the top makers any one of them will be fine.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I wasn't really concerned about your products and I am very grateful we have places like yours to get good parts for our vehicles. For many of us DIY is not so much to save money as it is to have it done right, of course the money saving is a good side benefit.