What is my B4 doing to me!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
What did my "trusted" mechanic do to me!!

I have read what I could find on water on the floor- back passengers.
6 months ago I had the blend door fixed, noticed water dipping from the drain. Kept my eye on it and fixed it with other material other than VW parts.
Checked the sunroof drains, by spraying water- the floors was wet the next day. Played around under the rear fender to make sure it was clear, used trimmer line as well. At the access panels found the lines and pulled them out, re connected, noticed kinks in them, rerouted etc.
So, today the floors in the back are wet! mostly the one behind the passenger side.
Today, I hear gurgling of water and witness water dripping (while making a sharp right turn) just underneath the HVAC controls-I have had the center console out just so I can keep an eye on this.
What is my B$V doing to me!

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Your evap tray drain is clogged. A couple recent threads about this.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Concur with Todd but also I think that perhaps you have some door leaks too.

Watch the rear door cards to make sure that water isn't entering and running down inside. The barrier behind the door card might be loose. I think my driver rear is doing that right now, I've had some wetness in the back on the driver side, I'm going to pull the door card and have another check on it.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Door vapour barrier leaks are my nemesis. I've attacked my doors a few times, finally used some urethane to seal it up. It's difficult to balance "this will definitely seal things up" with "I might need to get in the door again"

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
The wetness on the floor does not necessarily happen after it rains.
Don't know if it is coincidental, but it started after the mech. did the blend door. I have worked on the drain. The noticeable leak is dripping on the carpet where the center console is (the plastic center console was removed until I can figure it out)

Another thing I did was -removed the rails, cleaned and caulked where the brackets meet the roof.

Also, for the first time (had this wagon for over 3 years)- had to add rad fluid 2 times this summer, don't know if it is because of how hot it's been.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
There are only a few places where water can get in or around the hvac housing. The first is at the air inlet in the upper cowl. The second are the four studs that stick through from the cabin side and hold the hvac box in place. The final spot is where the heater core hoses come through the cowl. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

The guy would did the work on the heater doors was he familiar with the hvac box on this car? Did he loosen and remove any part of the box to work on the doors?

I think my first thing would be to check the fresh air intake for a missing seal or a missing clip that might be causing water to run into the box.

Steve

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V

I am thinking that the water leaks where you can see the cover that looks like a screw is missing + feels like there is a casket/seal on the other side. I think that clips might be missing as well? That is the area where water comes and works its way mostly behind the passenger seat on the floor.

Thanks for you all's help.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Not sure if I'm seeing the 2nd pic correctly, but is that foam remnants? If so, I'm still saying the drain is clogged. The pan is overflowing and making its way down to the blend box.

-Todd

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Appreciate your help.
Made me keep looking. (never noticed screw missing) well I put a screw in and tightened it up, has not leaked yet and I kept the A/C on just to find out.

I just don't understand why the mech. will leave out screws etc! I know why you all do your own work...
Hopefully this is it and no more water! won't put anything back until it rains though.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I thought it was all done!

Happened again as I have a lot of running around to do-- checking in on all these home builds, additions, basements etc. and have been running the A/C. No rain water but condensation for sure.

Thanks ninedee, Todd, Steve, and all for helping with input.

Next step is making sure there is no foam clogging the drains!
After that...bringing it back to "the mech."

Wife always tells me to get rid of it! but I would rather drive it than my Duramax!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Below is an update from my good ole faithful "Guru"! So, feeling disappointed! Was hoping he would honor his word on helping...

Hey Jeremy,

I would like to get this condensation thing taken care off, so we can put everything back.

When would you like me to bring it over?

Thanks,

Jeremy Hoover

to me

Daniel,

Still busy busy, and really got thinking about things. I turned away a guy recently with the same car as yours but was a sedan. I just have zero interest in those cars (and VW's in general really) and really am trying hard to keep expanding into where we want to/where we need to (aka BMW/Mini/Porsche). I am going to have to pass on your car. Absolutely nothing personal, you have always been a pleasure to deal with and hope we can still be friends.

Thank you,

Daniel Richards

to Jeremy

I thought you would help with the condensation leak from when you did the HVAC repair? can't you at least do that? since you told me you would, I had it cleaned in preparation out and have been using the truck- which uses a lot of diesel in comparison! so, I hope you don't leave me hanging on this leak?

Let me know!
--

Jeremy Hoover

to me

I understand and I did say that, but not even sure I could even find it if you haven't by now. I didn't want to even take the first part of the job on to begin with because of past similar nightmares with these specific cars. Everything touched with those cars, leads to further things-always. I don't even know where to start with something like that. You re-did the drain, then the other one, and there's no other place I'd think water could come from.
Daniel Richards

to Jeremy

You are my mech. friend, and I am amazed that a friend would leave me hanging. Kind of feeling disappointed about this. You hate my B4 that much? Not a very good way for stopping a working relationship.

I have no idea why there is leakage which is why I was asking for your help. Any suggestions or advice? I never redid the other drain as I don't where it is.

Feeling befuddled,

Jeremy Hoover

to me

Like I said I am your friend and want that to stay the same, I don't mean to disappoint you and I don't hate YOUR B4, I hate all of them. It's something that has evolved based on past experiences with them and certain other cars.

And I'm sorry I thought you had found or re-did another drain location or something.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Below is an update from my good ole faithful "Guru"! So, feeling disappointed! Was hoping he would honor his word on helping...

Hey Jeremy,

I would like to get this condensation thing taken care off, so we can put everything back.

When would you like me to bring it over?

Thanks,

Jeremy Hoover

to me

Daniel,

Still busy busy, and really got thinking about things. I turned away a guy recently with the same car as yours but was a sedan. I just have zero interest in those cars (and VW's in general really) and really am trying hard to keep expanding into where we want to/where we need to (aka BMW/Mini/Porsche). I am going to have to pass on your car. Absolutely nothing personal, you have always been a pleasure to deal with and hope we can still be friends.

Thank you,

Daniel Richards

to Jeremy

I thought you would help with the condensation leak from when you did the HVAC repair? can't you at least do that? since you told me you would, I had it cleaned in preparation out and have been using the truck- which uses a lot of diesel in comparison! so, I hope you don't leave me hanging on this leak?

Let me know!
--

Jeremy Hoover

to me

I understand and I did say that, but not even sure I could even find it if you haven't by now. I didn't want to even take the first part of the job on to begin with because of past similar nightmares with these specific cars. Everything touched with those cars, leads to further things-always. I don't even know where to start with something like that. You re-did the drain, then the other one, and there's no other place I'd think water could come from.
Daniel Richards

to Jeremy

You are my mech. friend, and I am amazed that a friend would leave me hanging. Kind of feeling disappointed about this. You hate my B4 that much? Not a very good way for stopping a working relationship.

I have no idea why there is leakage which is why I was asking for your help. Any suggestions or advice? I never redid the other drain as I don't where it is.

Feeling befuddled,

Jeremy Hoover

to me

Like I said I am your friend and want that to stay the same, I don't mean to disappoint you and I don't hate YOUR B4, I hate all of them. It's something that has evolved based on past experiences with them and certain other cars.

And I'm sorry I thought you had found or re-did another drain location or something.
Wow...just wow. I really don't understand why someone who's in the automotive business can learn to hate something so much.

If he thinks life is going to be any easier with any of the three marques he listed as being 'preferred' to VW then good luck with that!

I'd be curious to know how he believes that repairing Porsche / Mini / BMW would be any better than VW for that matter.

IDK but he must be overflowing with customers fawning all over him to work on their cars, my sense is that we're in a recession and have been for a while, anyone who turns their nose up at work...good luck when you're out of customers and the rent comes due.

Steve

fixit13

TDI
96 and 97 Passat
Yea, sounds like the ac condenser is leaking inside. I would at least try running a wire up from the outside to see if maybe it is clogged and you can break it loose.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
What is my mech. Doing to me!!

Wow...just wow. I really don't understand why someone who's in the automotive business can learn to hate something so much.

If he thinks life is going to be any easier with any of the three marques he listed as being 'preferred' to VW then good luck with that!

I'd be curious to know how he believes that repairing Porsche / Mini / BMW would be any better than VW for that matter.

IDK but he must be overflowing with customers fawning all over him to work on their cars, my sense is that we're in a recession and have been for a while, anyone who turns their nose up at work...good luck when you're out of customers and the rent comes due.

Steve

I am more bothered about the Mech. not honoring his work and wants to remain friends. It would have been better not to do the work initially. People always disappoint, which is why I hope not to do the same.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I am more bothered about the Mech. not honoring his work and wants to remain friends. It would have been better not to do the work initially. People always disappoint, which is why I hope not to do the same.
I've had shops lie outright to me even when I've had photographic evidence, but they weren't friends. If he really didn't like working on VW's he shouldn't have undertaken the job to begin with. In the end he did a half-arsed job and now won't even stand behind that. Suggesting that he wants to preserve a friendship is just more BS IMO.

That's like breaking up with someone you've dated and suggesting you still want to be friends...sure you do. It's just some platitude that a person parades out because they think it will soften the blow.

Steve

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Steve Addy,

How true!

I have gotten my trust and loyalty slammed on the ground! don't forget the twisting of the shoes afterwards.

Been asking around for help with this water leakage, I am hopeful that there is a true "trusted mechanic" kinda think that is a joke though!

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Just thought I would update why I was leaking/loosing rad fluid- thought I had a crack in the expansion tank. Looking further after taking the engine cover off- the coolant flange was leaking fluid in a a hair line crack. Replaced the flange, have not needed to add fluid thus far.

As far as the other ordeal, been looking for a trusted mechanic that won't shaft me and likes B4's. Not in a hurry as I have not needed the A/C.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Glad to hear that's been solved. As for finding someone to work on it, that's maybe a problem for another day then.

Steve