what is maximum load in trunk?

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I didnt see anything in the manual regarding this specifically. Just overall limit placard on door

would 517lbs in the trunk be too much? I want to pick up vinyl plank flooring from the warehouse. shipping is $200.. the warehouse is only 45mins from where I work / 1.5hrs from my house so I definitely want to pick up somehow

thanks

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
If you drive at night you might wake up the squirrells in the trees as you drive by!!

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
2 average humans is going to be approx 400 lbs. Just make sure you get it as far forward as you can, and make sure it is secure so in case something happens you don't have a package of projectile flooring.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

If you really want to be certain (and precise), the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) is on the black placard inside the driver's door. Mine says

"GVWR 4255 GAWR FRONT 2249 / REAR 2116 LBS"

Take your car to a scale (I use the city dump) and weigh the car with only the rear tires on the scale. Subtract whatever it says from the "REAR" value on your sticker. That is the approximate weight you may center over the rear wheels.

For more of a general ballpark figure, subtract your weight from the value listed on the white tire pressure placard inside the driver's door. Mine says

"THE COMBINED WEIGHT OF OCCUPANTS AND CARGO SHOULD NEVER EXCEED 1014 LBS."

To my knowledge, the most weight I've ever put in the trunk was 400 lbs when I moved 55 gallons of biodiesel. This is in my Mk3:

I'm not sure what I'd have to load to exceed that. Bricks? :eek: That's why I have a trailer, unless said cargo is far too valuable to carry outside. Just my opinion.

Good Luck,

Scott

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
see if you can get the dimensions and give it a measure before you go.

should be able to just stack it in the back seat and either put the belt around it or at least secure with a rope on a child seat anchor or two. (just in case some nut cuts you off on the way home)

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The US mob requires that any car with a trunk as big as a jetta (2body size) be able to carry the weight of said bodies....
:eek:
Since this thread is a few days old...bet the op has already done his pickup!!

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
The US mob requires that any car with a trunk as big as a jetta (2body size) be able to carry the weight of said bodies....
:eek:
Since this thread is a few days old...bet the op has already done his pickup!!
haha not yet :) next Monday I drive to Cranbury NJ to pick it up.

I've measured and they will all fit in the trunk but like others have said, spread the load towards inside of vehicle (back seats folded down).

I'll make sure to secure in case - load shift of 517lbs might throw something off a bit I would think.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Zippy - You're underestimating the space of the truck. It'll hold more than two bodies if they're "packed" correctly. ;)