what is considered high mileage for ALH?

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
Hey All -

I have a new-to-me 2003 ALH Jetta 5spd with 428,000 Km (266,000 miles). I am currently going through it as I have time solving limp mode, and replacing fluids and filters. Last timing belt job unknown (but suspected around 300,000 Km). TB is next on my list of maintenance to take care of right away.

I got lucky and found a local TDI owner who had an extra IDparts TB kit (standard) that he sold me for a great price, AND, is letting me use his Metalnerd TB tools at no cost!

On top of the standard kit, what else is recommended at this mileage? Should I just collect the parts to bring it to an equivalent High Mileage TB kit offered by IDparts?

Any and all advice on things to add to the standard TB job is much appreciated!

Pictures of what I have on-hand are below:

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is everything I have on-hand, including borrowed tools:

Sent from mobile device via Tapatalk

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Do the equivalent of the high mileage TB job. Also clean or replace the CBU related parts. EGR, EGR Cooler, Intake. Replace (upgrade) the injectors. Any weak suspension parts. Read the Sticky for more specific and comprehensive info.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's low milage considering it's an ALH ;)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
One of mine is at 334k and the other is only at 312k, 266k isn't too high assuming some level of maintenance has been done prior to your ownership. These cars are unique because older cars with a bunch of miles usually get minimal maintenance and go till it blows mindset.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I tell customers that if their car has had regular maintenance with worn items attended to, then the kit you have is adequate. The only things that aren't in it that you may want to replace is the tensioner and roller studs. But at your mileage I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The high mileage kit is great for cars that haven't had the intake cleaned, need a thermostat (although replacing that with this service might be a good idea), and need a serpentine belt tensioner or hydraulic piston. If these things are in good shape or have been renewed recently then the high mileage kit isn't necessary.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
The mileage is not bad for that engine, if it's been maintained regularly using correct products. It's always a good idea to look at the chart of what should be done for that mileage on that car. Assume it's not done and do it, unless you have a receipt of that job being done or you can see new parts on the car(that's obvious). It's the safest bet.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
My Jetta has 285k miles and in another 30k miles I will service the timing belt. She starts every time I turn the key. Short of replacing the tyranny I will drive her until she no longer runs.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I would recommend one or two harmonic balancer bolts, and an Irwin set of bolt extractors. These are the ones that surround the bolt head and will enable you to crack it loose and pull the bolt after the internal allen head rounds out.

Cheers!

PH

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
My Jetta has 285k miles and in another 30k miles I will service the timing belt. She starts every time I turn the key. Short of replacing the tyranny I will drive her until she no longer runs.
That's why I picked a spare trans up when I saw it in the yard, went for an alternator and left with a transmission, starter, turbo and an alternator...lol

The turbo looks like chineseium but the actuator looked new so win?

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Any and all advice on things to add to the standard TB job is much appreciated!
Thermostat and coolant temp sensor.
Some recommend replacing the camshaft sprocket at that mileage as well.
I'm sure others will chime in. Also, it will be worth your time to read this
if you have yet to tackle an ALH TB:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf
Much appreciated, these items are likely to be added to the list

I did see that PDF, and have it printed for perusal!

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the equivalent of the high mileage TB job. Also clean or replace the CBU related parts. EGR, EGR Cooler, Intake. Replace (upgrade) the injectors. Any weak suspension parts. Read the Sticky for more specific and comprehensive info.
Thank you for the advice! Does my mileage warrant the full high mileage TB kit? Also, what are you referring to with CBU?

EGR cooler has been removed. I'm going to leave the valve and dirtied intake alone for now, as I plan to replace the intake in the near future. If that plan gets extended, i will clean the intake.

Suspension parts will be addressed when it goes in for an alignment, unless I start noticing any drivability issues.

Which sticky are you referring? (I only see 2 at the top in this section right now)

I'm just looking for anything related to the TB job in this thread, or, something that is more easily replaced WHILE i'm doing the TB job.

Last edited:

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
I tell customers that if their car has had regular maintenance with worn items attended to, then the kit you have is adequate. The only things that aren't in it that you may want to replace is the tensioner and roller studs. But at your mileage I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The high mileage kit is great for cars that haven't had the intake cleaned, need a thermostat (although replacing that with this service might be a good idea), and need a serpentine belt tensioner or hydraulic piston. If these things are in good shape or have been renewed recently then the high mileage kit isn't necessary.
The tensioner and roller studs . . . are those the black studs in my first picture (post #2), between the two silver bolts?

I do plan to do the t-stat and a housing. As for the serp belt tensioner, is there a way to check it's estimated remaining life, or condition?

I can only assume the intake has never been cleaned.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
I would recommend one or two harmonic balancer bolts, and an Irwin set of bolt extractors. These are the ones that surround the bolt head and will enable you to crack it loose and pull the bolt after the internal allen head rounds out.

Cheers!

PH
this seems like great advice, i will look for an extractor set like you describe.

why only one or two balancer bolts, and not all of them?

edit - i just checked my kit and the HB bolts are in there. (but i'm still curious why you only suggest one or two?)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The tensioner and roller studs . . . are those the black studs in my first picture (post #2), between the two silver bolts?
I do plan to do the t-stat and a housing. As for the serp belt tensioner, is there a way to check it's estimated remaining life, or condition?
I can only assume the intake has never been cleaned.
Yes, those are the studs. So you have them.

Look at the serpentine belt assembly with the engine idling. If the tensioner is bouncing, then the hydraulic piston is worn. Usually this is caused by the clutch in the alternator pulley failing. See if it works. If it doesn't freewheel in either direction then it has failed. Replace it with the piston, or the pulley will cause the replacement piston to fail. And of course any grinding or noise in the tensioner or relay roller indicates they should be replaced.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
My daughter's '03 ALH Wagon (I bought new) is pushing 370k with last timing belt at 300K in Jan 2015, so I'm coming up on the 5-year interval. The car has been well-maintained and runs like new. Intake was cleaned at 250k and I think the ULSD since has probably kept it pretty clean. New upgraded injectors at 300K as well. No increase in oil consumption since new.

She graduates college in December and she and the car will be coming home. I plan to do the TB then and want to start getting prepared. I'd like her to be able to keep driving it for as long as she can so in addition to timing belt, water pump, and alt clutch pulley, what else would you replace? I've heard people suggest oil pump at 400K.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
BUMP. Need to order parts soon.

My daughter's '03 ALH Wagon (I bought new) is pushing 370k with last timing belt at 300K in Jan 2015, so I'm coming up on the 5-year interval. The car has been well-maintained and runs like new. Intake was cleaned at 250k and I think the ULSD since has probably kept it pretty clean. New upgraded injectors at 300K as well. No increase in oil consumption since new.
She graduates college in December and she and the car will be coming home. I plan to do the TB then and want to start getting prepared. I'd like her to be able to keep driving it for as long as she can so in addition to timing belt, water pump, and alt clutch pulley, what else would you replace? I've heard people suggest oil pump at 400K.
Car is coming home in a week, and I will have about 2 weeks to complete any work on it (including the timing belt). In addition to the above, I'm considering the idparts high mileage kit plus oil pump and camshaft sprocket (neither have ever been changed). Are these a good idea? Any other recommendations?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Oil pump chain and tensioner, cam sprocket are good ideas.
Little things like the thermostat and coolant temp sensor since the coolant is out anyway.
Maybe CCV valve, grommet and tube. All the filters air and fluid. Check the snowscreen, battery...wiper blades, run an Autoscan with VCDS.
Inspect the crank seal, maybe change the gearbox oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, basically check everything that wears. Serp belt. Brake pads. Rotors? Inter-injector fuel return lines? Sounds fun TBH. But it's probably a crap shoot buying a lot of parts until you have a look at it. I'm always surprised how long certain things last on these cars.
EDIT camshaft and lifters?

Last edited:

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil pump chain and tensioner, cam sprocket are good ideas.
Little things like the thermostat and coolant temp sensor since the coolant is out anyway.
Maybe CCV valve, grommet and tube. All the filters air and fluid. Check the snowscreen, battery...wiper blades, run an Autoscan with VCDS.
Inspect the crank seal, maybe change the gearbox oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid, basically check everything that wears. Serp belt. Brake pads. Rotors? Inter-injector fuel return lines? Sounds fun TBH. But it's probably a crap shoot buying a lot of parts until you have a look at it. I'm always surprised how long certain things last on these cars.
EDIT camshaft and lifters?
I am basically focusing on things that require timing belt removal in order to replace. Gearbox oil (replaced with new clutch at 250K), power steering fluid, and brake fluid can be done any time while replacing camshaft, camshaft sprocket, and lifters are much easier while the timing belt is off. I actually planned to pull the valve cover and inspect the cam and lifters ahead of time and order them if necessary. (Replaced at 200K).
Are you suggesting to replace oil pump chain and tensioner but not the oil pump itself?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Don't take my word for it but oilhammer has said the pumps don't fail, but the chain and tensioner do. But really, why not do both while you're in there. Not insanely expensive...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or do the upgraded oil pump mod, better oil pressure at cold starts.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Or do the upgraded oil pump mod, better oil pressure at cold starts.
That's the route I'd go, BEW sprocket and chain/tensioner. Had I known about this mod before I put the TB on the beetle I'd have done it, but it got a new chain and tensioner

rhg

TDI
02 Golf 4dr 5M GLS
I did the oil pump, chain/guides ,cam and lifters at 400k miles as maintenance. Now at 526K miles. Crazy thing is the car has the original injectors and still gets 46 average MPGs while being driven hard.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the route I'd go, BEW sprocket and chain/tensioner. Had I known about this mod before I put the TB on the beetle I'd have done it, but it got a new chain and tensioner

Doing some research on this (since I had never heard of it before) it seems that it's not a BEW sprocket but instead a BRM sprocket. https://www.idparts.com/oil-pump-sprocket-a5-brm-p-2634.html

Correct? And would I also use the BRM chain and BRM tensioner?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"And would I also use the BRM chain and BRM tensioner?"

I'd like to know the answer to this too. Never heard of the upgrade till now.
Cheers!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, BRM not BEW...knew it was a "B" variant of the TDI family...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It was originally discovered by Frank, he sells the kits as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I know people like to do the oil pump upgrade, but I put this in the catagory of "it ain't broken." Given how long ALH engines last with the stock setup, why mess with it?

And I replaced the oil pump chain and tensioner in my Wagon at 300K miles. From the looks of the one that came out, it was a waste of money.