What is a good aftermarket Wheel Bearing

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
In a possible effort to get my car back on the road I would likely need a front wheel bearing (s) because of a stripped wheel bearing housing caliper slider pin hole... Suggestions on quality aftermarket Wheel Bearing or hub assembly?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Yes, FAG is the major supplier for VW wheel bearings. And there is nothing wrong with installing a heli coil for the brake mounting. If needed I have knuckles with new FAG bearings installed with the hub.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Likewise Ive used a bunch of FAG bearings, I wouldn’t use anything else. Metalman (metalmanparts.) has bearings or hubs with preinstalled bearings sounds like a good way to go if you don’t have a press.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If needed I have knuckles with new FAG bearings installed with the hub.
I always keep at least one or two right and a left knuckles with new FAG bearings installed, in my garage as well. Don't use them very often, but when a bad bearing shows up, it's nice to be able to just swap the knuckle and save the bearing R&R for a slow rainy day.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
" Wheel bearing " There are lots of quality bearing manufacturers , at any specific time = what this refers to is the ever ongoing buying / selling of companies , and the endless corruption of chasing the most profit / vs. quality , and for some time now " most profit " is the leading factor across the board .
Then there are lots of other games going on " RIGHT TO REPAIR " as an example a bearing warehouse here [ Gopher Bearing ] that I have been going to for since the 70s , a few yrs. back changed how they do bis. a$$ -oles , you need to be a business , create an account - with the first min. purchase or $300 .

Now when you start changing the thread with " steering knuckles " you added another party / parties - they buy [ by what ever motivations they are guided by ] the bearings , then make or buy the knuckle & assemble & sell as a unit .

I prefer to [ if there is no damage to whatever the bearing is going into , replace the bearing .
Repaired a cooling fan for a restaurant a a couple months ago , it was maing bearing noises , the bearings cost [ 2 different sizes ] was about $14 , checked the cost of the cooling fan as a complete unit - cheapest I found was about $1,200 & up to $1,600 .

Been repairing , building , manufacturing in many fields auto repair , construction , machining , welding , gunsmithing , electronics etc. since the 1960s , and have been watching this bs & learning ever since .

PS forgot - there are no such things as aftermarket bearings - relative to VW - they do not make bearings , many parts of just about every manufacture are made by the " aftermarket " , as an example drive axials in American pickups / trucks .

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
What?
I can't understand why he needs a wheel bearing and\or hub if he stripped a caliper slider..... and *** is this pinhole deal about?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
" Wheel bearing " There are lots of quality bearing manufacturers , at any specific time = what this refers to is the ever ongoing buying / selling of companies , and the endless corruption of chasing the most profit / vs. quality , and for some time now " most profit " is the leading factor across the board .
Then there are lots of other games going on " RIGHT TO REPAIR " as an example a bearing warehouse here [ Gopher Bearing ] that I have been going to for since the 70s , a few yrs. back changed how they do bis. a$$ -oles , you need to be a business , create an account - with the first min. purchase or $300 .

Now when you start changing the thread with " steering knuckles " you added another party / parties - they buy [ by what ever motivations they are guided by ] the bearings , then make or buy the knuckle & assemble & sell as a unit .

I prefer to [ if there is no damage to whatever the bearing is going into , replace the bearing .
Repaired a cooling fan for a restaurant a a couple months ago , it was maing bearing noises , the bearings cost [ 2 different sizes ] was about $14 , checked the cost of the cooling fan as a complete unit - cheapest I found was about $1,200 & up to $1,600 .

Been repairing , building , manufacturing in many fields auto repair , construction , machining , welding , gunsmithing , electronics etc. since the 1960s , and have been watching this bs & learning ever since .

PS forgot - there are no such things as aftermarket bearings - relative to VW - they do not make bearings , many parts of just about every manufacture are made by the " aftermarket " , as an example drive axials in American pickups / trucks .

I read this twice, I’m still not sure I understand all that you said. FAG makes the bearings for VW most of us are aware VW does not actually “make” bearings. What we’re pointing out is if you buy the bearing you need in a FAG box you pay about half what you pay for the same bearing in a VW box.

Most other manufacturers operate in the same manner there are only a few companies that actually manufacture
bearings FAG just happens to be VW’s supplier and make a good product. I will use a Timken if I can’t get a FAG but almost everything else is made in China.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
What I was suggesting is , as your post indicates , you do not have to use a FAG bearing , there are other bearing manufacturers who quality should be equal to FAG .
Quality parts do not have to have OEM labels .

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
In a possible effort to get my car back on the road I would likely need a front wheel bearing (s) because of a stripped wheel bearing housing caliper slider pin hole... Suggestions on quality aftermarket Wheel Bearing or hub assembly?
And since your options are replace or helicoil and you have but one stripped caliper pin bolt, I’ve used these with success until the next break job giving you time to assemble a replacement assembly.

Fag bearing linked above is what I use.

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I purchased a Helicoil repair kit. It has like 10 coils and I only need one but it was only 10ish dollars though worth being able to have the option to get my car back on the road for a while with less trouble. I had looked at that previous to posting but it seemed like the tap/Helicoil on the kit I would be too big and I don't know if what I got is correct but if it doesn't work I have a new knuckle ready to go.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
You should get a Helicoil that matches the original bolt - that is the hole point of using Helicoils .

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I looked at the link posted above for the Doorman Help Caliper Pin. Local O'Reilly has one in stock I plan to pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for referring me to that product. When I went to drill to prepare to tap the bearing housing yesterday there was electrical arcing from the drill bit tip! I was a little disturbed by this and luckily I wasn't shocked. I don't know if this was related to the cars electrical system or the corded drill motor or one or the other or both systems not being grounded correctly... Yes thanks again for the Doorman Help reference...

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
I would pass on National bearings as the "nation" they are referring to has a very red flag with a very yellow star on it. How do I know that? I sold them up to two weeks ago. Felt guilty every time I sold one.....

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
When I went to drill to prepare to tap the bearing housing yesterday there was electrical arcing from the drill bit tip! I was a little disturbed by this and luckily I wasn't shocked. I don't know if this was related to the cars electrical system or the corded drill motor or one or the other or both systems not being grounded correctly...
Dafuq?

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
I purchase items sometimes directly from China. I do not hold political affiliations. I do support small businesses and American companies when it is feasible to do so. The thing is the worst problems I have experienced are those perpetuated by the "Authorities?" of The United States and on behalf of "THE PEOPLE" if need be I will subscribe to the Philosophy of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" that aside thanks again for boertje. I installed the Doorman Help and instead of using the blue thread locker that was included I opted to clean the threads well and use super glue. It was a little loose going in but seemed to snug up well and seated properly.