What is a 98 worth?

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
So......as I have too many cars and all they do is sit......I thought I'd sell some. So....what is a 98 Mk3 Jetts gl worth? 156,000 miles. This one has the usual body stuff(rust bullseyes) not really bad....but I'll wash it and look close. It hasnt been driven in 6 months. Drives well....Shine suspension, Rc3, 2.5 inch straightpipe(not loud), orlandos (had sport wheels), cd player......cant remember what else.....

Doesnt look bad. Its quick and handles great. I'm going to give it the once over anyway....but I am curious what its worth so I dont go too far with repairs(as I am prone to do) and far exceed the worth of the vehicle(as I have done so MANY times).

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
What would help is:

1) Pictures of outside and inside (saves a lot of questions on equipped options and vehicle conditions);
2) Service history including timing belt history;
3) Whether any items are missing; damaged or inoperable

A mint 1998 Mk3 in my opinion is worth 8(K) high end with all available options and excellent condition. An average 1998 Mk3 in fair to good condition with average options is worth between $3500 to $6000. In my opinion

Betya Harv could give you a much better idea with some additional info from you per my above requests

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
oooooo is this the green machine I drove when I was down there a year+ ago???? I will attest to it driving nice.. :) Chill fill me in brother what you looking for it? I might know someone who needs to put in a collection of tdis for himself hahaahahahahaahahaha!

mrchill

TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
NOt sure.....wont be a ton of money though. Maybe I'll take pix of it.... parking lot is way overfull right now.....maybe by wednesday I'll have space. And yes....it still drives REALLY nice......but 8 Tdi's? Its almost a waste...... especially since I cant drive them all..... Oh...and I dont think anything is missing. Timing belt was done....of course....it is mine. I will however do another for the next owner if they like....I never keep records on my cars... I fix everything all the time....doesnt matter how much if you are driving it right?

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
shortysclimbin said:
oooooo is this the green machine !

Green like cash? :D

I'll try to give you a call in the AM, maybe try to look at it on my way home from work.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
mrchill said:
So......what is a 98 Mk3 Jetts gl worth?
Buying, or selling?
Consider that you offered the seller $1k for the 98 A3 I bought (for $2.5k)... Admittedly, your offer was sight unseen, and I examined it fairly closely before making an offer.

mrchill

TDI
Selling. And yeah...the one you bought was nicer than he let on. It turns out it needed much work, but not as much as he said. I wish I had gone up to see it....but I was too busy.... So yeah...a Mk3 that needs and engine and turbo + other stuff......in VT? .....not worth a ton. But....if the engine and turbo are actually good?......well thats a different story.....

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Isn't this the A3 that has the really nice GLX leather heated seat interior that came home on my roof :eek: ?

if so, Nice A3 :cool: Trade you for a GLX Wagon :p

Post pics...

akampion

TDI
1998 jetta tdi
I live in WA which makes TDIs super expensive it seems. A '98 jetta tdi here with 137,000 miles in great condition goes for about $9,500 (at a dealer. private party is almost as bad).
I bought a '98 2 months ago in pretty mint condition with 112,000 for 10,000. Wow, huh?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
akampion said:
I live in WA which makes TDIs super expensive it seems. A '98 jetta tdi here with 137,000 miles in great condition goes for about $9,500 (at a dealer. private party is almost as bad).
I bought a '98 2 months ago in pretty mint condition with 112,000 for 10,000. Wow, huh?
So the one owner 80k one w/ new clutch near me for $8995 is a steal;) . Then you should see the silver 98 on eBay now in Colorado-it looks like a champagne color to me-says TB looks in good shape-you can even see the part # on it-to me it looks like original belt:eek:

mrchill

TDI
Wow......and I thought it was a stretch to get 6500-7 for one......although...I'm keeping my seats!!:D Hard to get.....and heated......

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Chris it really depends with these cars...With your reputation and skills I would say that 6-7K is certainly POSSIBLE...especially with the offer of a fresh TB job. It DOES have pretty low miles (in the TDI world) for a 98. It might be worth shopping it to those out west and offer to pay for thier flight if they want it.....it would save them 1-1.5k and you would still make a nice buck on it.

Hope your drive back on Sunday was uneventful. I think we need to try the Japanese place next time though...smelled good! ;)

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well,that one near me is no longer on Autotrader for sale and the one on eBay was $7900 yesterday-I am watching to see what it goes for.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't know why this didn't occur to me when we were talking but a friend of my son's is looking for a TDI and this car would be ideal. He's driving a jeep now (of course) and wants out of it.