What in the sam "hill"?!?

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
OK, I've got myself what seems to be another developing problem.

On a recent 4,500 mile journey from TN to Missoula, MT and Yellowstone and back, I encountered a problem while crossing the mountains into Butte (from what I remember). It's as if the turbo just stopped working. I lost all power to accelerate and even lost some speed at some points. Very unresponsive. Even once we leveled off, it still didn't seem the turbo was working. We stopped at a rest stop or whatever in which the engine was shut off and it did just fine the rest of the way. The car made it just fine with no problems the first 25 or so hours of the trip through all sorts of hills and mountains (there was an overnight stop in SD). Even when dealing with a 10% grade incline, it functioned as usual up to about 10,000 ft through the mountains of WY on the way back. I checked all the vacuum lines and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Now this has happened before when driving up Monteagle Mt. on the way to Chattanooga a couple times after about only 20 minutes of driving. Those times it wasn't as bad and only seemed to last for a minute or so.

Any ideas?!? I've got a couple and I hope it's the much easier and cheaper one. Now as for pinpointing it and solutions, that's where you guys come in. I've got a new EGR with a little less than 10,000 miles one it.

Thanks all!
--Adam

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Limp mode. Classic key off-reset failure mode.

When was the intake last cleaned?

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
dieseldorf said:
Limp mode. Classic key off-reset failure mode.

When was the intake last cleaned?
Good question. I've only owned the car for the last 10,000ish miles. That's something I've been meaning to do when I get the extra time and don't need to drive anywhere for the time it takes me to do it. I've also been putting it off due to the nasty nature of it being on the backside and not too easy to get to--and me being new to TDIs.

Last edited:

BudsBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle (Buglet)
Check / Shange all your Vac lines. Check for any Exhaust leaks going to the EGR 2 flex and the cooler. Make sure the intake/EGR is clean. Look at Limp MOde many writeups on it

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You may not be in a position to defer this critical bit of maintenance any longer. While you have things apart, I'd go ahead and get fresh vac lines run. They're guaranteed to cause odd problems down the road.

Welcome aboard!

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks guys! I figured before too long I had to get around to tackling that intake cleaning. But it still gets me as to why it has only done it on inclines and only rarely. Anyone care to paint a better mental picture of what's going on for me?

--Adam