What have you fit in your car?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
What's the strangest stuff you've fit in your car? I'm curious what all has been coaxed into these cars. Don't care if they're wagons, golf's, bugs, whatever.
I've managed to fit one complete ALH engine with two EGR transmissions in the back of my wagon. Anyone know if a MKIV jetta hood will fit in a wagon?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
What's the strangest stuff you've fit in your car? I'm curious what all has been coaxed into these cars. Don't care if they're wagons, golf's, bugs, whatever.
I've managed to fit one complete ALH engine with two EGR transmissions in the back of my wagon. Anyone know if a MKIV jetta hood will fit in a wagon?
Yes a MKIV hood will fit in a MKIV wagon, as will and MKIV wagon hatch. I have done both.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I've fit 4 tires and wheels in a mk4 sedan trunk, did have to pop the seat to let one pooch out just a little.

Another time I had an ALH engine in the trunk, that wasn't fun...that's a very heavy little engine and on another occasion I had an O2J back there, I feel like they might both fit at the same time but the likelihood of getting them out seems slim

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’ve fit a complete 2006 Toyota Sienna drivers door across the back seat ( guys at the salvage yard were taking bets it wouldn’t fit ) and a 48” flat screen tv new in a box.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I’m waiting for Dweisel to chime in on this thread. He stopped at my house with a 17 foot pole on his beetle. I’ve seen pics of other stuff he’s hauled.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I put 8 19" Mercedes R-Class tires in my Wagon not too long ago, four on wheels. Man, those things are heavy when you're used to throwing 15s around. I've put as many as 10 VW 16" wheels and tires in the car.

Here's another: When we first started IDParts I used to pick up Total oil in NJ in my Wagon. Biggest load? 33 cases.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I've fit 4 tires and wheels in a mk4 sedan trunk, did have to pop the seat to let one pooch out just a little.

Another time I had an ALH engine in the trunk, that wasn't fun...that's a very heavy little engine and on another occasion I had an O2J back there, I feel like they might both fit at the same time but the likelihood of getting them out seems slim

Just did that with my Jetta. 16" BBS 2-piece, shod with 205/60-16 Michelin CrossClimates. Got a set of seats into my Golf. Most ridiculous did not involve a Mk.4, but instead my 1984 Saab 900 3-door( aka 2 dr, hatchback ), and that one swallowed a GS550E intact with the hatch closed and my younger brother riding shotgun...:)
cheers,
Douglas

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I easily fit a 55 gallon drum in my NB when i had it. Was thinking of lots of range if it was full of diesel but it would be heavy.

Jay-Bee

TDI
2004 Golf TDI-PD
I put 8 19" Mercedes R-Class tires in my Wagon not too long ago, four on wheels. Man, those things are heavy when you're used to throwing 15s around. I've put as many as 10 VW 16" wheels and tires in the car.

Here's another: When we first started IDParts I used to pick up Total oil in NJ in my Wagon. Biggest load? 33 cases.
Was going to post that I fit 10x 16" wheels w/ tires in my 4 door golf easy as pie.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
1. As someone above, I got a built-in oven, a glass four-burner cooktop with downdraft fan (probably tripled the depth of the box), my road bike (don't leave home without it), and a weekend's worth of luggage - all in the 2002 Golf.

2. A full love seat...and got the hatch of the Golf closed, too!

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
4 door golf:
9'4" surfboard fits with the trunk plastic removes.
Tons of 2x4s or similar.
Car is loaded with a ton of tools right now, air compressor, miter saw, table saw, vacuum. Tons of hand tools.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I’m waiting for Dweisel to chime in on this thread. He stopped at my house with a 17 foot pole on his beetle. I’ve seen pics of other stuff he’s hauled.
Beetles are little hauling beast. More room than you think. You can haul 8' lumber and still close the hatch. Add a roof rack and it takes the hauling to a whole other dimension.
Here are some pics for your enjoyment.
Here is the 17'3" fluted gas station sign pole that tdijarhead mentioned:
nearest chevron gas station
15' VOLKSWAGEN neon sign that broke down into two 7'6" pieces. Built a custom crate to haul it on the roof rack-

Here is a brief list of items I've hauled. I'll try and post pics when time permits.

1960's gas station pump with internal pump intact. inside. Removed the passenger seat.

Gas pump before and after restoration.

4 Mercedes 19" wheels with mounted tires and 4 new tires to be mounted. inside.

ally atm locator

6 Black galaxy granite steps and 7 risers. Total weight 1200 pounds. Inside

Craftsman tool chest, upper box and 8' workbench with drawers. Store forklift operator refused to load it on the roof rack , but the store manager was kind enough to run the forklift.

6'x6' GULF GAS sign. Roof rack.

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why are you hauling around GAS pumps and GAS station signs?

The pump is plumbed into a 500 gallon diesel tank. When I flip the switch it turns on the pump on the 500 gallon tank and dispenses diesel fuel from the 60's GULF pump.

I guess part of the satisfaction is finding an item, making a deal and then traveling to wherever the item is and hauling it back. Sometimes a challenge. I like a challenge as it sometimes test your problem solving capabilities.

Same with the Beetles I retrieve. Fly to Phoenix and drive back to WV. Fly to Jacksonville, FL and drive back. Fly to Austin,Tx and meet up with member aj8888. Visit with Tony and then drive home. I've also flat towed 4 different Beetles from various parts of the country. KY, NC,MI and TX. Tony was a huge help with with setting up the TX tow.

Of course towing is a whole other story.

dweisel

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cause he watches "Pickers"?
I used to watch pickers. Not so interesting any more. I'm not a picker. Just find old petrolina interesting. Some guys have HUGE collections. I just have a few pieces.

That fuel pump makes me smile everyone I use it.

dweisel

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,glutton for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I’ve been to James house when I picked up a yellow NB for my daughter, he does have some cool things at his house, and that pump set up is sweet.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
The pump is plumbed into a 500 gallon diesel tank. When I flip the switch it turns on the pump on the 500 gallon tank and dispenses diesel fuel from the 60's GULF pump.

I guess part of the satisfaction is finding an item, making a deal and then traveling to wherever the item is and hauling it back. Sometimes a challenge. I like a challenge as it sometimes test your problem solving capabilities.

Same with the Beetles I retrieve. Fly to Phoenix and drive back to WV. Fly to Jacksonville, FL and drive back. Fly to Austin,Tx and meet up with member aj8888. Visit with Tony and then drive home. I've also flat towed 4 different Beetles from various parts of the country. KY, NC,MI and TX. Tony was a huge help with with setting up the TX tow.

Of course towing is a whole other story.

dweisel
Great answer, although, I was being facetious. The fact the one is hooked up, thats really cool!
In general, as pieces of history and art, i think theyre great. I just wanted to poke some fun at the "GAS" part of it all.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I used to watch pickers. Not so interesting any more. I'm not a picker. Just find old petrolina interesting. Some guys have HUGE collections. I just have a few pieces.

dweisel
I hate how it seems like they tell people they're gonna cherish the stuff and then they just sell it...I think they dupe people

And a shindawa t242 string trimmer fit in the trunk today

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD

dweisel

Ahhh, if you're USING it, that is cool!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

800lb TIG welder
guy sure laughed when he bobcatted it in there

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
I put a vinyl cutter and stand in the back seat

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI

800lb TIG welder
guy sure laughed when he bobcatted it in there
With some of the other projects I've seen you involved in, I'm sure this isn't out of the norm for you haha

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My best all time haul was a CAT SKIDSTEER TRENCHING ATTACHMENT 990 lbs in my 96 PASSAT wagon. I removed the front passenger seat and cut some plywood to protect the interior. The tool carrier went on the roof rack and the trenching bar went inside. The tip of the bar was about 1 inch from the dash in order to get the hatch closed. I'll have to see if I can dig up some pics.

dweisel