What Grease for Clutch Replacement Parts ?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Pivot, guide tube, input shaft splines, what is the best grease and are there any to avoid?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I have never used any on any vehicle, grease and clutches don’t go together in my opinion. Just check for burrs and good finish on any contact surfaces

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
There is a type of stuff called "spline lube" that can be found at various auto parts places. I think it is just a form of moly grease (for the high temps). I don't think there will be much consensus on good/bad in this application. (I've known friends that used copper anti-seize without issue)

The primary thing is to use very small amounts and remove any excess, to prevent any possibility of the grease melting and getting on friction material.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, I'd recommend the specific spline grease for sure. Have seen both "don't need no grease" and "this stuff will do" backfire over the years.

Cheap, but priceless. :)

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Alrighty, thanks, will get some spline grease. Need a few bolts from the dealer anyway. Damn transmission got stuck and wouldn't come out and I'm in no rush, so I gave up. I think taking off the passenger side drive flange and the mount bracket on the transmission will really help get it out. I've never taken one out of an A5 before. Any tips?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Do you guys replace ball joints with pressed in bolts if you remove the nuts ? I used to replace the bolts in the older style ones.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
All torn down and there is a small hole in the end of the engine. Looks like a piece of a pressure plate got between the flywheel and engine. I have never seen that before. Anyone know if the hole can be welded up (it's aluminum)? If that won't work, any leads on a source of good, low mileage used engines?

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Not sure I follow your ball joint question, but if you're asking if it's okay to reuse your ball joint and hardware after disassembly, I don't see it being a problem. The bolts aren't anything special (stretch/tty) as far as I know.

As for your "hole", do you have some pictures? What were the circumstances? Did a dual-mass clutch detonate?

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I think dual-mass is ok, didn't look that closely. What is the easiest way to post photos on here.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Anyone know if the lower timing chain cover is replaceable on a 2.5 without pulling the head ? Or is there a way to fix the hole ? JB Weld, aluminum solder, welding, anything ?

Last edited:

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I'm not familiar with the 2.5... So I can't comment on replacing parts.
It looks like the throw out bearing disintegrated and a piece of it is what got caught: one of the balls in the bell housing, perhaps.
I know that I have used jb weld on oil pans in the past without issue, but I would be concerned using it in your situation... If it fails and starts leaking again, there would be no way to easily remedy it: you'd have to once again pull the transmission...
It's possible it could be welded, but it may damage things on the reverse side in the process.

I hope someone with specific knowledge of your engine is able to provide better insight.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Thanks, I'm going to replace the lower timing chain cover. They are cheap used and as far as I can tell easy to swap out.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I used a product called Devcon on a Harley case and it held up for years, JB on the bottom of my Jetta trans with no problem. That obviously isn’t under pressure. It all depends on your confidence.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Using ultra black RTV to assemble the covers and block, just ordered the cover for $40. I'll report back how this goes.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Replacing the master cylinder, kind of a ***** to get clutch pedal assembly out. I put the return spring back in and ordered a new retaining clip for the master cylinder ball. The clip holds it in the pedal assembly. Looks like attaching the new clip to the ball and shoving the ball and clip into the pedal as one unit is the correct assembly technique. Correct? Is there supposed to be any retaining hardware on the spring? It looks like it just sits in there on a couple detents. Thanks.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Looks to me like a different version of the brace that goes from the transmission mount bracket over to the top of the transmission.
For future reference, if you hit CTRL+P (I think, on Windows) or COMMAND+P (Mac), or the little "insert image" icon in the toolbar, and then paste in that i.postimg.cc....jpg URL, you get a resizable image like below: