What gives the NB more leg room than A4 Golf and Jetta?

unitacx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
Looking at a NB at TDIFest, it seemed that the seat was substantially identical, and the floorboard also looked similar. NB definitely has at least an inch more legroom, so I'm trying to figure it out.

I'm thinking that perhaps the firewall and swing pedal mounts are different, but even that doesn't make sense.

Has anyone figured it out?

Meanwhile, I'm getting ready to build a spacer plate to raise the front by 2 cm and set back the seat by another 3 or 4 mm.

The rearward movement is extended by cutting the blocking pin from the front and adding another hole for the seat track's latch. Full rearward movement on the seat track without the pin is controlled by a loop of thin gauge marine rope.

- stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip III, 520, ECS urethane pendulum mount ("dogbone"), TT 17 wheels, 63mm 'tt' (Techtronics Tuning) turbo-back exhaust (w/oversize cat), mufflerectomy, Autotech swaybar, Valeo E-codes, Euroswitch w/ switched DRLs, Phatbox + CD, Dieselgeek skid plate)
'81 W123 240D/300Dt 5 sp

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
How about the seat mounting racks are just mounted about an inch farther back on the floorboard. Did you measure the rear seat legroom? Don't have to - there isn't any.

I'll bet if you measure from suspension hard points, e.g. from wheel centers, you'll find your answers.