What gearbox do I have? Really...

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
My oil seal between the gearbox and the axle began to leak. So I went to Porsche (main VW dealer here) and asked for that part and they said they need the gearbox code. I asked where can I find it. They said something about a sticker in the trunk but could not find it. They also said it can be found on the gearbox case. I searched it on all sides possible but there is no inscription except a VW logo.

Car is a September 1994 VW Passat 1.9 TDI engine 1Z gearbox 5 speed manual and that is almost all I can tell you.

However I heard there were 2 gearboxes mounted on this engine: CTN and CHU. In ETOS at picture 301-40 part# 4 is in 2 versions:
1. 02A 301 189 with measurements 40x60x12 for gearboxes CCM,CGY,CHA,CNA,CHU,CGX,CMZ,CJA,CDM
2. 084 409 189B with measurements 48x62x7 for gearboxes CTN,CNL,CRU,CTM,CYP

I have some oil seal that I was told would fit my car but I measured all measureables things on it and none fit any measurements from ETOS, so I am hoping someone here could help me...

TNX/TIA!

i_winter

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Audi A3 TDI
If you speak russian here's an online version of the ETKA - the "official" parts CD:

Online ETKA

If you don't, and don't have the the CD version (english) either, send me a PM here. I may be able to help you out with a CD (daca ai conexiune buna de internet - cablu/DSL).

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
I suppose the VIN number isn't really a secret so I'll post it here if that's ok.

WVWZZZ3AZSE021422 (I hope this is the VIN)

I have ETOS which is equivalent to ETKA. I also have ETKA but (mersi oricum i_winter) I didn't install it because this version requires a screen resolution of at least 1280x1024 and doesn't really have anything more than ETOS.

Oh, there's another number on the registration document, a "omologation number" of some kind (probably local things..)

ABVK13002ZI87X2

Thank you for your help

Andrei.

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
It turns out I don't have the CHU gearbox but the CTN gearbox.. Unfortunately I bought an oil seal for CHU gearboxes and I had to throw it away.. :(